login crashes

Six Lewis

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 890 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

11 answers to this question

21 minutes ago, Six Lewis said:

I have been trying for 3 months to get on Second life. One day I was playing the game next minute things changed. It freezes on login and crashes my computer. Help me Please.

We are going to need lots more info that this.

Open the viewer -- no need to log in -- and select Help / About.  Copy the info and paste it here.

Also:  Are you wired or wireless?  Have you rebooted your router/modem lately?  Anything change on your computer between the "all okay" point and "not all okay"?

On 2/9/2022 at 8:45 AM, LittleMe Jewell said:

We are going to need lots more info that this.

Open the viewer -- no need to log in -- and select Help / About.  Copy the info and paste it here.

Also:  Are you wired or wireless?  Have you rebooted your router/modem lately?  Anything change on your computer between the "all okay" point and "not all okay"?

Capture666.JPG

45 minutes ago, Six Lewis said:

Capture666.JPG

@Six Lewis - Did you try to LOG IN or is that just from starting up the viewer?   That sometimes happens after some Windows Updates.  If you can start the viewer, without logging in, click Help in the top menu.  Select ABOUT; copy all of the info shown and paste it here.

Anything change on your computer between the "all okay" point and "not all okay"?

42 minutes ago, Thickism said:

i am going through this currently... my viewer freezes on the precaching part at login and crashes! HELP

@Thickism - Same comment as above:  Do NOT try to Log In. Simply start the viewer and then click Help in the top menu and select ABOUT.  Copy all of the shown info and paste it here.

9 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

That sometimes happens after some Windows Updates. 

This mostly brings that message.
Very few times i managed to get the file restored by the Firestorm help but mostly it's just needed to start over ( other settings are not involved)
Log in manually and as so, create a new password file that is used till the next new big update.

When you get that message, you should simply manually enter your user name and password. The viewer is OK, it simply cannot find your stored login information and so cannot autofill those boxes for you.

You shouldn't have "remember my password" checked anyway. It's a security hazard. Anyone walking by your computer can log in as you.

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

When you get that message, you should simply manually enter your user name and password. The viewer is OK, it simply cannot find your stored login information and so cannot autofill those boxes for you.

You shouldn't have "remember my password" checked anyway. It's a security hazard. Anyone walking by your computer can log in as you.

OP's first post said "It freezes on login and crashes my computer."  Sounds like something else is going on after it flashes that message box up.

Wow. I have never heard of any viewer crashing by simply being at the login screen.

• Have you tried a clean install? This involves removing all traces of the viewer, and then downloading and installing a fresh copy. Here are instructions on how to do that for Firestorm, although they will work with any viewer, by simply substituting the appropriate directories. https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/fs_clean_install
  • What version of Firestorm are you using? If it is an older version, it may have been deprecated and blocked. See the above bullet to install the current version..
  • Have you tried using a different viewer? It often aids in troubleshooting if you can verify that a problem occurs with only one viewer, or across two or more. In the latter case, suspect something about your PC or your internet connection.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 890 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.