It's the year 2022 and ............

Lord Derryth

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 798 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just now, ChinRey said:

Yes. The opensim software does not use any code from Second Life. Nobody has the IP rights for the concept of a virtual world, only for the code they wrote to implement it.

Linden Lab and the OS Grid foundation have a fairly good relationship anyway. LL even used to have a liason developer who's main job was to maintain contact with the opensim people. I don't know if they still have one. The guy who originally had the job was promoted to CTO in 2014 and retired last year.

I kind of figured this scenario. It was purposeful. 

1 hour ago, Paulsian said:
On 2/6/2022 at 6:42 PM, Coffee Pancake said:

Mesh models can only have 8 texturable faces, what happens when you need more than 8 .. you use another mesh. Two meshes are more work than one mesh with double the detail. Scale this up to the number of faces a mesh body needs and we have a lot of meshes, with a lot of additional overhead, when really we should be able to have just one.

I agree I think SL should support mesh uploads with unlimited textured faces & if material is not set up in blender for each face SL should make all the faces of mesh objects modifiable by default. 

As far as lag when I disable transparent water helps a lot, world water is everywhere even underground maybe if water is not visible do not render might reduce lag? 

Maybe if mesh objects like the avatars you were talking about were loaded in SL with lots of faces but blank and SL made the faces modifiable by default SL could add to build tools face arrays. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

Yes. The opensim software does not use any code from Second Life. Nobody has the IP rights for the concept of a virtual world, only for the code they wrote to implement it.

Linden Lab and the OS Grid foundation have a fairly good relationship anyway. LL even used to have a liason developer who's main job was to maintain contact with the opensim people. I don't know if they still have one. The guy who originally had the job was promoted to CTO in 2014 and retired last year.

This second wave of metaverse excitement also contains rumblings of interoperability.

3 hours ago, Paulsian said:

I'm trying to learn and do get dramatic (can't help it) Holy Prim so the Linden Lab Second Life Viewer is open source, but the simulator is not but Third Party Viewers that are trusted by LL/SL have Secondary Viewers that support reversed engineered simulators with their own currency?

The viewer is NOT open source. FFS Do you even read what others post? There is nothing in SL that is open source. FULL STOP. TPVs do NOT support "engineered simulators with their own currency". Stop pulling made up bs out of your ass.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

This second wave of metaverse excitement also contains rumblings of interoperability.

Interoperability within aligned brand ecosystems .. If MS have a metaverse, you can bet half life wont be part of it, but maybe warcraft will be.

None of the companies involved are interested in doing anything that extends beyond their own borders, the corporate metaverse isn't for us, it's for them.

• Like 2

Just now, Coffee Pancake said:

Interoperability within aligned brand ecosystems .. If MS have a metaverse, you can bet half life wont be part of it, but maybe warcraft will be.

None of the companies involved are interested in doing anything that extends beyond their own borders, the corporate metaverse isn't for us, it's for them.

NPR did a radio story about this rebirth of virtual world/metaverse interest, in which one of the experts discussed exactly this. He opined that widespread adoption of meta personas would require some degree of portability. Like you, I'm skeptical of this actually happening, but MS was mentioned as one of the companies thinking about how RL people would move between competing metaverses.

Five years ago, the conventional wisdom was that nobody would tolerate paying subscription fees to more than a few steaming services, forcing significant consolidation. That didn't happen. Now everyone and their aunt is developing a streaming catalog.

I'm skeptical of widespread VR/metaverse adoption overall. I think it's more likely that AR platforms will emerge that allow various competing players to push their branded augmentation into the real worlds of customers via something akin to the Android/Apple app stores.

4 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

He opined that widespread adoption of meta personas would require some degree of portability.

So far, the metaverse crowd that makes a lot of PR noise hasn't done much about portability. NFT portability is, so far, just talk.

There is something called Ready Player Me, which you can look up. It's more outsourcing than portability. Game developers can outsource avatar appearance management to another company. All appearance changes happen on their web site, they have total control over avatar appearance, and own all clothing and models. It's mostly used by small game developers who don't want to build an avatar system.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, animats said:

So far, the metaverse crowd that makes a lot of PR noise hasn't done much about portability. NFT portability is, so far, just talk.

There is something called Ready Player Me, which you can look up. It's more outsourcing than portability. Game developers can outsource avatar appearance management to another company. All appearance changes happen on their web site, they have total control over avatar appearance, and own all clothing and models. It's mostly used by small game developers who don't want to build an avatar system.

This is what the NPR interviewee was getting at, and it makes sense. We can currently engage virtually any company’s social networks via a web browser. Even if using an app, there’s no baggage we must drag from one venue to the next to interact. If I post selfies on Facebook and TikTok, I’m recognizably the same in both places. Once we use avatars to interact, we must manage them. If I want to be a recognizable persona across multiple venues, how will I do that?

I think the major players will want to lock customers in and competitors out, but the resulting Balkanization might produce only Balkan countries, not superpowers. It’ll be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters

5 hours ago, animats said:

Trouble with ready player me is that it will never work with Second Life without way to much coding.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 798 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.