It's the year 2022 and ............

Lord Derryth

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 798 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, animats said:

Assets have been on AWS, front-ended by Akamai's Ngnix servers for years. Assets work just like web assets, accessed through HTTP, while the sim software is all custom. None of that changed during "uplift".

I know they have been on AWS for ages but their physical location hasn't been changed nor the server stuff. I was simply stating what Ebbe had said about having the assets/server infrastructure located on AWS servers in each country rather than all on American AWS servers. Perhaps it has been done. I was under the assumption from Oz before he left that the following hasn't been done and was on hold:

"Today we are located in the US, which means that people from Australia or Asia or Europe have to travel quite a ways, which is hundreds of extra milliseconds of latency. So if you want to have a very dedicated community in Australia or somewhere, we could maybe start to distribute our server infrastructure to be closer to where the actual customers of those regions are, which would make things more performant." Ebbe Altberg, VWBPE, 15th, March 2018

Edited by Drayke Newall
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Drayke Newall said:

I was simply stating what Ebbe had said about having the assets/server infrastructure located on AWS servers in each country rather than all on American AWS servers.

The assets have been out on the cloud for ages. The sim servers are trickier though.

3 hours ago, Drayke Newall said:

(quoting Ebbe Altberg)

"...So if you want to have a very dedicated community in Australia or somewhere, we could maybe start to distribute our server infrastructure to be closer..."

He's right of course but it's a big maybe. There may well be a considerable market for virtual realities focused on specific regions outside the USA. But a product for that market would have to be developed and promoted; it doesn't happen all by itself.

I was nosing around the sl forums searching OpenSims / Open Simulators and found this semi-interesting thread.

I've been researching Open Simulators that do not require internet access and give free land and free to upload and test content. That are exactly like second life and they suggest to find solutions to any problems from second life sources...Really I can use this simulator without being involved with LL/SL! 

As a builder I only wish to develop my mesh building skill without any "community" "interactions". If I thought second life still had a soul & second life had option to have offline grid with local host that would be neat / private / secure I might have used it.

I only want to build and avoid interacting the SL "community".

I don't think it was smart for LL to open source their product. There are so many franken second life platforms out there with their own currency exchanges it's kind of crazy. 

Add your little comments and attack me all you want because you're likely possessed by demons. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Paulsian said:

I was nosing around the sl forums searching OpenSims / Open Simulators and found this semi-interesting thread.

I've been researching Open Simulators that do not require internet access and give free land and free to upload and test content. That are exactly like second life and they suggest to find solutions to any problems from second life sources...Really I can use this simulator without being involved with LL/SL! 

As a builder I only wish to develop my mesh building skill without any "community" "interactions". If I thought second life still had a soul & second life had option to have offline grid with local host that would be neat / private / secure I might have used it.

I only want to build and avoid interacting the SL "community".

I don't think it was smart for LL to open source their product. There are so many franken second life platforms out there with their own currency exchanges it's kind of crazy. 

Add your little comments and attack me all you want because you're likely possessed by demons. 

for more accurate information have a look here
OpenSimulator

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Paulsian said:

Here's a video made 6 months ago about open simulator standalone offline apparently there's paid services too. It seems that the sl and or third-party developers might have a little side hustle going on to undercut second life? Just a hunch.

I've heard they've discovered planets beyond Saturn too. Life is amazing!

It's funny that in that viewer says to buy L$ and when buying some of the 10,000 assets uploaded also say to use L$ to buy? I would not trust that download because one of the steps was to allow it through pcs firewall. Seems strange for an offline thing to have that prolly lot of malware spyware. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Paulsian said:

It seems that the sl and or third-party developers might have a little side hustle going on to undercut second life?

I would not trust that download because one of the steps was to allow it through pcs firewall. Seems strange for an offline thing to have that prolly lot of malware spyware. 

Are you and Lord Derryth related?

Here's a video made 6 months ago about open simulator standalone offline

Ummm, we've had Sim-on-a-Stick for ten years now and Dreamgrid for at least two I think so software for running an offline opensim grid is hardly news. It's still very interesting though since SoaS is way outdated and Dreamgrid's fancy GUI lacks some of opensim's more advanced functions so thanks a lot for the video! :)

It's funny that in that viewer says to buy L$ and when buying some of the 10,000 assets uploaded also say to use L$ to buy?

That's because the viewer is the same Singularity viewer as is used in SL so the interface has lots of SL specific stuff.

All the links in the video description are perfectly legit and safe although it's not necessarily the resources I would recommend for such a project for various reasons.

5 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Everyone needs to keep in mind here ...

One region isn't one server.

One Sim host is one server.

One Sim host can be many regions .. how many ? Who knows.

That's the part that blows my mind about region prices. They price a single region higher than the cost of a physical server, but then host many on said server (probably even more now that they're on AWS). Makes me wonder just how high their profit margin is.

Edited by Paul Hexem
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

That's because the viewer is the same Singularity viewer as is used in SL so the interface has lots of SL specific stuff.

All the links in the video description are perfectly legit and safe although it's not necessarily the resources I would recommend for such a project for various reasons.

Nice, I'm may try this and allow the firewall thing and then block it after it's setup. Her videos are so neat. I like the one where she's setting up multi regions and loading content in all of them. Never saw this done before.

I just want blank canvas although her furniture store thing some of the content looked awesome. high quality kitchen sets. neat for playing house I guess. Lot of free public domain content too. 

I saw where you can host on your local network for multiplayers don't think there's a fee if it's locally hosted? Seems neat. Something like what convo was going towards earlier having a way to turn off regions when the host is not logged in. Save some hosting fees, but for shops might be bad. Maybe a save some money on both sides if only for residence on both sides. And if the host is afk for X amount of time region auto offline. 

37 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Are you and Lord Derryth related?

nope

Just now, Paulsian said:

Nice, I'm may try this and allow the firewall thing and then block it after it's setup.

If you want to play around with a local network, I would really recommend Dreamgrid because the graphical interface really is very helpful for somebody not already familiar with the server commands and it comes with a really firendly and supportive user group over at MeWe. Dreamgrid's shortcomings are really only relevant if you want to run a big grid with dozens of sims.

9 minutes ago, Paulsian said:

I saw where you can host on your local network for multiplayers don't think there's a fee if it's locally hosted?

If you run opensim on your own computer, you are the host and it doesn't make sense to charge yourself for it, does it? ;)

28 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

That's the part that blows my mind about region prices. They price a single region higher than the cost of a physical server, but then host many on said server (probably even more now that they're on AWS). Makes me wonder just how high their profit margin is.

My estimate: enough to be laughing all the way to the bank.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

Dreamgrid's fancy GUI lacks some of opensim's more advanced functions so thanks a lot for the video! :)

Thanks for mentioning dreamgrid. Wow there's a lot of opensim viewers Dreamgrid, Kitely, Tangle, Outworldz, OSGrid, Sacrarium, Singularity Viewer. I take it Open Simulator controls the code for tweaking the regions and adding content in the backdoor persay. Lots more to research. Not sure how many other Open Simulator type systems are out there, and which goes with what yet. Pretty kewl stuff. 

I would like a place where I can build, test, work on, and store the content I create offline on a locally hosted grid without limits so I may evolve my products and view them in a world format. After they are optimized will upload the files to SL to earn revenue. SL seems most secure so if they can make an option under grid settings to host local, how many regions that would be a good start to help builders evolve their craft. Maybe for premium option to back up the data incase PC burns up. SL would have to add way to export the dae files. I want to build with a lot of mesh parts I create and upload to my private grid via dae files and then with those export the files to my desktop and then upload them to SL. Having the SL Opensim persay alone without that would not work. I think with third party open sims can export the content. 

I would like to create every cog imaginable and have them in world to piece together and create something and then export to desktop and upload to SL. 

Edited by Paulsian
  • Haha 1

On 2/6/2022 at 4:27 PM, Lord Derryth said:

18 years have passed, and we are in the year 2022.  Second Life still lags and remains to have issues.  Linden Labs falling behind on technology?  Someone educate me the logic behind all this.  How could UE5 utilize today's technology with massive objects in one area with no lag and use realistic looking textures.  Here we are in a virtual world struggling daily for the last 18 years wondering if change will ever come.

Maybe having a dedicated grid for events like RFL and SL19B and option to transfer purchases to main grid? Grid folds in primary grid inventory? Maybe with those grids they can experiment with different technologies? 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Singularity is a TPV, not a third party grid.

Thanks I think i'm starting to get it there's grids like Open Simulator and then there's viewers that work with those grids like Singularity. For Second Life there's the Second Life Simulator (which normal users do not have access to and then the Official SL Viewer and Third Party Viewers.

Learned something today third party grids, that's genius! I've heard of third party views but grids. My brain is expanding. 

Edited by Paulsian
  • Like 1

A good number of the TPVs can be used with Open Simulator grids - Firestorm for example has two different Viewers (for Windows and I think Mac), one for Second Life and one for the OS Grid types. a few tweaks aside, one has the needed libraries for uploading certain things to the Linden owned systems and one does not. Linux users of Firestorm lack those libraries as well the last time I looked.

Normal users do not have access to the actual code for the Linden owned Second Life Simulator.

After researching the Firestorm OpenSim rabbit hole, there are so so many third party second life copy cat grids out there. I wonder if there are terms of service for the sl open source code?, something like third parties may not form their own currency and take revenue away from Linden Lab? There has to be a lot of trust between the trusted 3rd party viewers to allow them access to the Linden systems. 

I'm not a fan of third party viewers and as neat as the third party grids seem, i'm getting virtual nightmare vibes from it. 

If SL were to evolve and I was leading I would not open source SL2 and would not allow any third party anything. 

SL2.jpg

Edited by Paulsian
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 798 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.