iMac 2021 and SL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 789 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello!

I’ve recently come into some computer trouble and was playing around with the idea of purchasing a new one, but this time buying one of the new iMacs that look pretty. 🤩

I’ve always used Second Life as a barometer as to measure how much my computer could handle, but I’m worried switching from windows and a decently powerful GPU/specs to an iMac will drastically cut my performance while logged into SL.

What’s your opinion on this and do you have any insight? 

Thank you!

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

why are you switching away from windows? a work requirement?  or just throwing money at overpriced hardware?  no not kidding.  just quite curious.  

for performance,  if it's only intergrated gpu on it,  it's going to heavily suffer.

It's pretty?

1 hour ago, JPG0809 said:

but this time buying one of the new iMacs that look pretty. 

What do you consider a decently powerful GPU on a PC? 

First, I’d avoid the base model with no USB ports and the 7 core GPU. For anything.

Second, performance on M1 Macs has varied widely on different versions of the macOS and viewer. It’ll run fine, then upgrade the OS, and oh crap, it’s crap. 

Following that up, M1 Macs have been available to developers for a year and a half. Neither Linden Lab nor any TPV show any indication of developing a viewer for M1 Macs. Last I read in the forums, no TPV developer even owns an M1 Mac. The viewer’s update function apparently still relies on Python 2.7 which was depreciated ages ago and scheduled to be removed from the next update of the macOS. 

No.

I've been a Apple user since an Apple II. That's how old I am. I've probably owned 20 Macs in my lifetime.

I have that M1 just do now do art, some music stuff, and my regular work stuff. I also have a higher end MBP for real work. I have a gaming PC for games. For a reason.

The M1's SL performance is miserable. I'm sorry, but Iit feels sluggish and the graphics setting have to be so low as to not make it worth my while. The *only* reason I ever fire up a viewer for SL on the M1 is when I want to transfer Lindens from this account to my male alt to go shopping. But to play?

No. Please don't.

PS. And I'm one of the biggest Apple fans you'll run across.

• Like 1

I am a die hard apple fan and have been working and designing on Macs since 2000. last summer I had to switch to Windows mainly for SL. as much as I love Mac, and I have both on my desk now, for SL I use Windows only. if you have a powerful Mac, you can surely access SL just fine too, but you will have way more issues on various levels. I still cuss at Windows daily cause I simply can't get used to it. as painful as it is , my heart bleeds but for some programs as well as SL Windows is the better option. anything Adobe though runs MUCH nicer on the Mac. 

• Like 1

On 2/5/2022 at 11:20 PM, Lyssa Greymoon said:

Neither Linden Lab nor any TPV show any indication of developing a viewer for M1 Macs. Last I read in the forums, no TPV developer even owns an M1 Mac.

Alchemy is currently working on M1 support (universal). It's not available yet but I'm sure it's coming soon. Meantime, Alchemy Project AgileAkita (not the beta from their website, but the one downloadable from their #project-viewers discord channel: https://discord.com/channels/267234902812917760/696063536362684416 ) provides the best over-all performance and stability for Second Life on macOS in comparison to any other viewer. If you want SL to be awesome on macOS, use Alchemy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi JPG0809. I've run SL on Mac, Win, and Linux, and each has ups and downs. My iMac is a 2020 model, so has Intel rather than M1. I upgraded to a Radeon Pro 580X and added memory for a total of 64GB, but have to say that my Linux (Mint) laptop with Firestorm runs SL better. Note: if you want to try Linux Mint it is a free download, and you can burn to disc or thumb drive to run SL in a virtual machine. Mint is very user friendly... it has a GUI similar to Windows, so no need to learn command lines 🙂

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 789 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.