Jump to content

Group tag imposer?


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 900 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

I saw a user that had a tag from a known group and this is also a tag uses by the "moderators" in that group, I know that it is against the terms to act as a Linden, Mole or anything related by getting a Linden-like name or create a group that can be taken as a Linden Lab related, but how is it when is private groups, can anyone create a CopyCat group with a very similar name and create any tag to look like a manager for (as an example) a land-rental group?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe it"s just for giggles? One day i was bored and made a group called "Error loading groups", hid all my other groups in my profile except for that one. I turned off it's chat and allowed anyone to join for free. I think it has about 200 members now last time i checked? It also has a bunch of silly tags you can pick. Maybe its something like that? I know i walk around in the Builders Brewery sandbox wearing the tag "Brewer of crappy prims".

I'm sure its harmless, besides, anyone knows a Linden, Mole or ProductEngine has a blue tag anyhow.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Kennylex Luckless said:

I saw a user that had a tag from a known group and this is also a tag uses by the "moderators" in that group, I know that it is against the terms to act as a Linden, Mole or anything related by getting a Linden-like name or create a group that can be taken as a Linden Lab related, but how is it when is private groups, can anyone create a CopyCat group with a very similar name and create any tag to look like a manager for (as an example) a land-rental group?

There are a lot of groups with similar names.  Some groups have even disbanded and restarted with similar names adding just one letter here or something just to make it different.  Since you can't make a.group with the EXACT same name, anything similar would more than likely be allowed.  Group tags cannot be exclusive to one group aside from anything Linden related.  

I have a group tag, Fix Your Damn Arms...anyone can make a group and also use that tag.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, CaithLynnSayes said:

Maybe it"s just for giggles? One day i was bored and made a group called "Error loading groups", hid all my other groups in my profile except for that one. I turned off it's chat and allowed anyone to join for free. I think it has about 200 members now last time i checked? It also has a bunch of silly tags you can pick. Maybe its something like that? I know i walk around in the Builders Brewery sandbox wearing the tag "Brewer of crappy prims".

I'm sure its harmless, besides, anyone knows a Linden, Mole or ProductEngine has a blue tag anyhow.

/me runs to join

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Wait, they do?

I can't even tell you how long it's been since I saw a Linden or a Mole in-world.

Worth noting that this isn't the case in the official viewer. They sneak about like regular people there. They are blue in Firestorm, which helps when trying to run after them for bears.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

You mean that there are actually Lindens in world at times?
😲

Yes. The last one I saw in person was Grumpity Linden (as a giraffe), who helped me a couple years ago with removing some griefer objects in my neighborhood. 

I love that the Lindens all have their own styles for their avatars. ❤️

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I never saw one inworld in all the 15 years I'm engaged with the platform. I know a few have been in my shop in the time that I was running The Doorstore. I could spot them on the visitors lists. Even made a sale once or twice.

I guess I'm not an average SL user.
Maybe I should really go out more often to explore.
 

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

he last one I saw in person was Grumpity Linden (as a giraffe), who helped me a couple years ago with removing some griefer objects in my neighborhood.

There's this guy who belongs to some weird right wing cyber-libertarian group (it's all very 4Chan and dark and mysterious and uber-kool) who has been griefing, or trying to grief the sim I manage for about a half year now. He can't get into the sim now, so his strategy seems to be to find vulnerable bits of adjacent abandoned land to put up flags and sinister radio towers and stuff -- most recently a couple of weeks ago. I AR them and they get removed.

Next time he does it, I'll AR whatever he puts down . . . and sit and wait and watch . . . until a Linden comes.

And then I'll jump out from my hiding spot and run towards them screaming "BEAAAAAAR!!!"

I wonder if it will work?

  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

And then I'll jump out from my hiding spot and run towards them screaming "BEAAAAAAR!!!"

Personally I would scream "BEEEEEER!!!" or even better "Belgium BEEEEEER!!!"
But that's just me.

  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Kennylex Luckless said:

can anyone create a CopyCat group with a very similar name and create any tag to look like a manager for (as an example) a land-rental group?

Unfortunately yes, someone also did that back in the days when i had my land rentals. Even copied brand name, photos etc  and used them for the rentals she put on her land sp there were 2 places with the same brandname etc on search. If you expect Linden Lab to do something about it they won't, all you 'll get is a reply such as "file a DMCA blah blah", so the sooner you accept the fact that SL is just a game and move on, the better for you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Kennylex Luckless said:

but how is it when is private groups, can anyone create a CopyCat group with a very similar name and create any tag to look like a manager for (as an example) a land-rental group?

Linden will take down a real world trademark infringement. You can if you wish get such a trademark

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 900 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...