Jump to content

How to transfer ownership of group land?


HellboundHeathcliff
 Share

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 897 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

I own two adjacent mainland parcels which I donate to a private group of two people, myself and one other. Everything on the land is owned by the other person and one parcel is overloaded (too many prims.) How do I transfer ownership to the second person without having to go through the following:

1) Withdraw the donated land, one parcel at a time, which will no doubt destroy the land features by returning everything to the other party.

2) Sell the land to the other person, one parcel at a time.

3) The other person then must attempt to recreate everything that is currently on the land and may never succeed.

Is there some procedure that I am overlooking?

Edit: The parcels are in a region that does not allow joining or subdividing.

Edited by HellboundHeathcliff
Additional information added
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's late at night for me, and I may be missing something obvious, but it sounds like the only thing you need to really be worrying about are the excess prims on the one parcel, since changing ownership of either parcel would result in prims flying back into inventories. You didn't mention how many prims we're talking about here, but my first thought was that the easiest way to address this might be to remove just enough prims to get that one parcel down below its allowed LI, move the parcels between owners (be sure autoreturn is not enabled!), then put the things that were picked up back in place. Depending on how many items would need to be picked up, I'd start by looking at buying a rezzer system so that the other person can easily pick up and return everything to how it was before. (Another way to do it is to pick the items up all at once, resulting in a coalesced object that can then be set back into place in edit mode.)

Edited by Sylvia Tamalyn
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1) set each parcel to Options \ Build = Everyone and Objects \ Auto return = 0.  (this will ensure that no objects get returned when the parcel ownership is transferred)

2) join the two parcels into one parcel (current objects LI total will fit within the newly joined one big parcel)

3) Set new joined parcel for sale to other person (when they get ownership of parcel their objects (and any of yours and others will still be on the parcel (step 1) which they can deal with as they prefer))

4) New owner can divide the one big parcel back into two parcels if they want.  Their objects on the over-LI parcel won't be returned as the new owner owns both parcels

Edited by Mollymews
typs
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One further point - once you have done all that, if you want to set the objects to the new group so that you can have non-resident objects returned in future, you can use World > Area Search > Filter tab and check Current Parcel Only to find all the objects on the parcel;  the owner of the objects can then select all items they own at once and right-click > Edit, and set them to the new group.  If the objects are owned by more than one group member, each group member does that in turn, for his/her objects only.   You don't have to switch groups for each object one by one!

The other thing is that if you are selling the land for L$0 from one group to the other, there is a short period of time when you can allow the land selling group to have no land allocated while you allocate all the land to the buying group...  you will get a purple warning notice which you can ignore for as long as it takes to make the transaction.  I don't know how long you actually have, but I have had land groups in deficit for 10 or 15 minutes while doing that switch, without any issues arising.

Edited by Sayumi Tsunenaga
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Mollymews said:

1) set each parcel to Options \ Build = Everyone and Objects \ Auto return = 0.  (this will ensure that no objects get returned when the parcel ownership is transferred)

2) join the two parcels into one parcel (current objects LI total will fit within the newly joined one big parcel)

3) Set new joined parcel for sale to other person (when they get ownership of parcel their objects (and any of yours and others will still be on the parcel (step 1) which they can deal with as they prefer))

4) New owner can divide the one big parcel back into two parcels if they want.  Their objects on the over-LI parcel won't be returned as the new owner owns both parcels

The land is in a region that does not permit joining or subdividing. I tried to get an exemption from the Lindens a while back to let me join them, but they refused the request. Apparently, it will disrupt their plans for global dominance or some such.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

It's late at night for me, and I may be missing something obvious, but it sounds like the only thing you need to really be worrying about are the excess prims on the one parcel, since changing ownership of either parcel would result in prims flying back into inventories. You didn't mention how many prims we're talking about here, but my first thought was that the easiest way to address this might be to remove just enough prims to get that one parcel down below its allowed LI, move the parcels between owners (be sure autoreturn is not enabled!), then put the things that were picked up back in place. Depending on how many items would need to be picked up, I'd start by looking at buying a rezzer system so that the other person can easily pick up and return everything to how it was before. (Another way to do it is to pick the items up all at once, resulting in a coalesced object that can then be set back into place in edit mode.)

You are correct, it is the excess prims on one parcel that is the problem. It's only several hundred prims but the definition of how many is too many to pick up and replace is all relative, so I am trying to accommodate the object owner best as I can. I will pass along the tidbit about picking the objects up all at once. That may be the answer!

I'll post the results of whatever happens when the deed is done.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, HellboundHeathcliff said:

You are correct, it is the excess prims on one parcel that is the problem. It's only several hundred prims but the definition of how many is too many to pick up and replace is all relative, so I am trying to accommodate the object owner best as I can. I will pass along the tidbit about picking the objects up all at once. That may be the answer!

I'll post the results of whatever happens when the deed is done.

One way to pick up a lot of items fairly easily is to go into edit mode, right click one of the items, then hold your mouse button down and drag. You will see a yellow box that you can drag to include as many items as you want. Once you have your selection set, right click again to take them up all at once. Good luck!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, HellboundHeathcliff said:

The land is in a region that does not permit joining or subdividing. I tried to get an exemption from the Lindens a while back to let me join them, but they refused the request

in this case I would look into scripting a solution

1) Create a script which can be dropped into modify objects

2) On Touch the script will save the object's position then move the object laterally from the over-LI parcel to the under-LI parcel. For example with two adjacent parcels of 1024 sqm then add/minus 32 meters in the direction required. The distance to move will be constant for all objects.  For other sized parcels then the constant distance will be different

3) Drop this script into as many objects as necessary to get the over-LI under the parcel LI

4) Other person buys the two parcels

5) Touch the object a second time, the script plus/minus 32 meters to move the object back.  After MoveBack, the script deletes itself

Edited by Mollymews
k
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, HellboundHeathcliff said:

Update: The other person figured it out. They had some friends increase the land contribution to the group and then I just set my contribution to zero. Done and now I can get out of this 'Barbie Doll' world. Thanks to all who replied!

The land was actually group owned? That wasn't clearly stated previously, and you probably would have gotten different advice if it had been, but I'm glad you figured it out for yourselves. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 897 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...