How do old account and Stipen Work?

NardweBones

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 902 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have an account that is 12 years old and another that is 15 years old that I barely use anymore, is the stipen a Grandfathered thing (You must keep paying since the change to lower stipen) or is it per account creation date (IE I should be using my old account for premium?)

Edited by NardweBones

My account is late 2006, around the time the Stipend for premium Accounts was reduced to 400 but before the final reduction later to 300. I did not sign up for Premium until a few years later. I get 400 a week.

They did indeed cease basic account stipends some time ago.

• Sad 1

Basic account stipends and Premium stipends are two different things. Very old basic accounts (before June 2006) get L$50 every week (as long as they log in).

Premium stipends are dependent on the date your account was created. I don't remember the exact cutoff date but  think it was the end of June July 2006 - accounts made before this date will get L$300 per week while they remain Premium. It then dropped to L$400 per week for a few months and then by late 2006 it dropped to the current level which is L$300 per week.

If you have an old account that was entitled to the higher stipend, but then you stop being Premium, and then re-start again, you'll only get L$300. The higher rates only apply if you go Premium one time and stay that way.

ETA: Alwin's link abve has the dates.

To the OP: your 12 year old account will get L$300 per week if you go premium. The 15 year old might get more, depending on the exact date, as long as it's never been Premium before.

Edited by Maitimo

9 minutes ago, Maitimo said:

If you have an old account that was entitled to the higher stipend, but then you stop being Premium, and then re-start again, you'll only get L$300. The higher rates only apply if you go Premium one time and stay that way.

ETA: Alwin's link abve has the dates.

To the OP: your 12 year old account will get L$300 per week if you go premium. The 15 year old might get more, depending on the exact date, as long as it's never been Premium before.

I'm not convinced about that (the parts I've bolded). My account was created in June 2006 I went Premium a couple of years ago, for the second time, and I am still getting L$500 a week, even though I have been Premium before, years ago.  And there is no mention of such a rule in the wiki link.

So either it was a rumour that was never true in the first place, or else it's been quietly changed. 

Or maybe I'm daydreaming about being Premium before... 

Edited by Karl Herber

2 hours ago, Maitimo said:

Actually, if the account has never been Premium before, then they will only get the L$300. 

The only ones that get the higher stipend is if they were previously Premium and getting the higher amount.  Then, based on various forum reports, if they go back to Premium, they will get whatever stipend amount they had before.

Though we have also had a few reports of where someone went back to Premium and they are only getting the L$300 amount, even though they got higher long ago.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

15 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Actually, if the account has never been Premium before, then they will only get the L$300. 

The only ones that get the higher stipend is if they were previously Premium and getting the higher amount.  Then, based on various forum reports, if they go back to Premium, they will get whatever stipend amount they had before.

Though we have also had a few reports of where someone went back to Premium and they are only getting the L$300 amount, even though they got higher long ago.

No.

I did not go Premium until after it was dropped to 300. I got the 400 that was being given out prior to that, thanks to my join date.

In the many threads on this, there has never been a proper consensus on that and until Linden Lab clears it up (don't hold your collective breaths) it will remain as such.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Yes thats how i read the (old?) descriptions at the premium page too... but seems not to be  :) ..and also not on the page i linked to  in my post above.
I also had a few on/off premiums (old ones)  and they did get the 500 L$ stipend every time.
After downgrading them, they are old enough for it, reverted back to the basic stipends of 50 L$ weekly

• Thanks 1

I have some 2005 and 2006 accounts that get a bigger stipend.  This is a pretty good summary:

https://lindenlab.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/31000135216-premium-membership-benefits

Stipends for old accounts

The stipend amount for older accounts depends on what type of account you have and its age.

Premium accounts created or upgraded from basic:

• On or after November 1, 2006 receive L$300 per week.
  • Between July 21, 2006 and November 1, 2006 receive L$400 per week.
  • Before July 21, 2006 receive L$500 per week.

Certain old basic accounts get a stipend; basic accounts created

• Before June 6, 2006 receive a stipend of L$50 per week, if they log in that week.
  • After June 6, 2006 do not receive a weekly stipend.

I asked an inworld friend yesterday whose basic account dates from march of 2004 and he does not get nor recall ever getting a 50L stipend. He did mention there were periods of time he didn't come inworld but the last few he has been daily so should qualify unless the stipend was forfeited for a lifetime because of the previous time periods he hadn't logged in.

2 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I asked an inworld friend yesterday whose basic account dates from march of 2004 and he does not get nor recall ever getting a 50L stipend. He did mention there were periods of time he didn't come inworld but the last few he has been daily so should qualify unless the stipend was forfeited for a lifetime because of the previous time periods he hadn't logged in.

I think they have to log in like once a week to keep gettting the 50L.

• Like 1

My main, Debi Baskerville, rez Oct. 2003, who was basic until 2010 when she first went premium, only gets $300 a week. The reason for this was explained to me that the initial date of going premium sets the stipend rate not the actual rez date of the avatar. I've not experienced this myself, but I do have friends who get the $500 weekly. They have gone in and out of premium a couple of times and it has not affected the amount of their stipend. They continued to get the $500 after restarting premium after dropping it for a few months.

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I think they have to log in like once a week to keep gettting the 50L.

Early on, like in 2006 or so, a Basic account would get the L$50 stipend on weeks we logged in, and wouldn't on weeks we didn't, and they'd resume getting it any week we logged in again. There was some talk that accounts that went Premium could never get the L$50 stipend again if they reverted to Basic, but I've heard conflicting reports about that. It's possible these rules changed, or were sensitive to when the accounts reverted from Premium to Basic, or maybe it was so confusing that nobody ever really knew why they got what stipends they did.

Well I think for now ill wait till Premium Plus come outs in hope it trumps the $500 stipen with something better >.< I did not have premium on any of my old accounts so I think it may not be fair even if I attempted to re-register them inorder to get the stipen.

Interesting to know there is so much variance in Stipen per account! ( I honestly suspected the grandfathered price would have only been if you kept membership the entire time)

On 1/29/2022 at 8:10 AM, Blush Bravin said:

My main, Debi Baskerville, rez Oct. 2003, who was basic until 2010 when she first went premium, only gets $300 a week. The reason for this was explained to me that the initial date of going premium sets the stipend rate not the actual rez date of the avatar. I've not experienced this myself, but I do have friends who get the $500 weekly. They have gone in and out of premium a couple of times and it has not affected the amount of their stipend. They continued to get the $500 after restarting premium after dropping it for a few months.

Do you get the 50L per week when you're not premium?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 902 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.