Better Recording : Stop the 'Stutter Stop'

Feorie Frimon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 902 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am a -super- novice machinima person and I'd really like to try and 'up my game' when it comes to recording in world. I'm upgrading to a 'radial mouse' and I think that will help address some of the issues I'm having with the 'smoothness' of the recordings I'm getting. I don't think it's going to fix it completely, though, and I'm pretty sure it's a 'settings' thing on my end. I need some help from the pros. :) 

Exhibit A: 'The Chicken Video'

20 seconds in you'll see a really good example of what I'm talking about. It's almost like the frame rate is wrong? Or too...slow or something? There are gaps in the movement of the chicken moving it's head up and down. 

Exhibit B: Dancing (Fair Warning: Moderate Content)

This is a quick screen grab I did of myself dancing at a very busy club. You can see where it almost seems like the video isn't grabbing the full scope of movement. 

To add a little more context - this seems to happen when I bump my graphics up SUPER high, increase my draw distance way up, or I'm in a super lagged area AND I'm trying to record whatever is on my screen with Camtasia. 

Any advice? Or bail on Camtasia? Or adjust the fps? 

21 hours ago, Macedonio Ashley said:

Hi Feorie, if u viewer cant reach more than 60 fps then there is no need to export a video in 60 FPS,  try Alchemy with that viewer u can get more FPS than Firestorm, or Black Dragon if u have a good pc. Try to record screen with OBS , no stuttering there

I will try it! Thank you 😊 

Keep an eye on your SL frame rate, too. I think the issue you're seeing is a diff in SL FPS vs what you export your movies at. I publish vids at 30 FPS and as long as SL is running at least 30FPS I dont have the same issue. If your finished vid is exported at 60FPS and Sl is running at 30 FPS (or lower like in the dance vid) you're gonna be jerky. Definately check your export settings. 

Also, loved the chicken vid!

Lag has alot to do with it, and also keep in mind in SL as the camera moves the scene needs to be continually re drawn. So keeping draw distance down as low as you can to make the shot is also important. a whole lot of alphas like trees and plants etc can slow things down too. Fact is unless you are in the sky with a purpose built set you probably will  get some studder in most sims. You just have to keep camera movements slow - or have like zero lag.  And when you get avies in the scene studder free can be nearly impossible... if the world frame rate can stay above about 12fps and with a slow camera I can get fairly smooth shots even with avies in the scene, I record at 30fps on OBS but my frame rate for editing is 24fps wich slows the footage down a bit. Unless you are planning to do post slow mo shots, shooting 60fps in world just isnt necessary , IMO at least

One thing you didn't describe is your computer and the resolution you are filing at- you will need something fairly robust to do good in world recording. You could also use post to do alot of zooming and panning if it is supoer laggy and you cant get good in world shots - like shoot at 1440 but have your timeline at 1024 so you will have room to zoom in or out and pan left and right or up and down

Jackson Redstar - YouTube

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 902 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.