Hover Text not updating or displaying (could be hitting sim Throttling limit?)

Xander Lopez

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 910 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have an attachment that listens to llRegionSayTo() message, and it goes through some intensive filter, and displays the output via its prim hover text.

Since last tuesday (that is when linden lab announced that they did some adjustment to allow scripts to perform faster), I started to notice the following problem such as:

1. Hover text gets updated extremely slowly, or it doesn't even update at all.

2. Hover text disappears when there are a lot of llRegionSayTo() messages are delivered to process it.

3. Hover text just don't appear at all.

I am trying to see if anyone else is having this issue too? Also, does anyone know if sim has some kind Throttling limit that an attachment can send or receive and output to hover text??

There have been throttles on llRegionSay and llRegionSayTo for a few years now. They don't apply specifically to hover text, but since that's where you are getting your trigger impulse, you might be stumbling over them:

• There is a per-destination throttle of 200 messages sent over 10 seconds on channel zero. Thereafter, there is also a per-sending-object throttle of 100 messages on channel zero over 300 seconds (5 minutes). This throttle is relevant only after the first throttle is activated. Messages sent on channels other than zero do not trigger the throttle but, once it is triggered, the block applies to all channels. The block is region-wide and applies to all objects with the same owner. The block apparently lasts until the region is restarted.

Edit: It's also worth noting that the commentary on the recent server updates says, "Scripts that were already approaching throttles or other limits may find a throttle engaged".  So, you might not have had a throttle problem before, but the rules have just changed.

Edited by Rolig Loon

16 hours ago, Xander Lopez said:

2. Hover text disappears when there are a lot of llRegionSayTo() messages are delivered to process it.

Are you sure you don't have a bug in your code? Maybe you accidentally pass empty string or whitespace to llSetText? I have never seen a hover text to disappear on its own (but I have rather seen people struggling to get rid of it 😁 including me 😁

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 910 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.