Operation Mainland GRAND OPENING!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 791 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There is no better way to celebrate ‘coming home’ than with friends - that’s why we want to invite you to the Operation Mainland ‘Grand Opening’ Block Party at our new home in Bay City! No need to dress up - this event is casual. We'll kick off the event with an airing of Virtual Community Radio's explination of the Forever Tourist Passport game at 12 pm SLT while you explore the new Bay City Farmer’s Market! Learn about the new Operation Mainland Realtor program, listen to some great music, join the new Explorer's Guild, and enjoy the festivities before grabbing a bike and heading out to explore the rest of the 'city by the bay'. If you care about the Mainland and want to see it thrive, YOU ARE INVITED. The hotdogs are free and the beer is on us! :) 

USE THIS SURL TO GET TO THE EVENT - SEE YOU THERE!

Invite-OpMainlandGrandOpening.png

• Like 1

10 hours ago, animats said:

It's .com, not .org - They have the wrong URL in their marketing material... https://www.operationmainland.com

Related: I went to their HUB in-world, read the boards and joined the group. It seems like a really cool project! 

Also, not related, but, I was just looking around the area and I wish I could also afford land in Bay City! Those parcels are insanely over-priced though. Does anyone actually buy land at that price point? I assume the majority of people in Bay City are renting from land barons, or got lucky and got the land for a reasonable price upon release? It's crazy when a 1024sqm parcel costs more than a full private region, like WHAT?! Who wants to be in Bay City THAT badly? Do people really pay THAT much for land? Are any of those parcels actually selling at that price point?  

Edited by davidventer
Fixed Some Things
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Their in-world hub is strange. It's a skybox with some signs. There's a door. If you walk through the door, you're falling in space. Then you splat onto a skybox. Below that, there's another skybox. And another. And another. The ground level has an abandoned drive-in theater which doesn't seem to play movies.

I may be wrong, but it kind of looks like Operation Mainland is a realty operation that rents the ground level of skybox stacks.

Edited by animats

18 hours ago, davidventer said:

I was just looking around the area and I wish I could also afford land in Bay City! Those parcels are insanely over-priced though. Does anyone actually buy land at that price point? I assume the majority of people in Bay City are renting from land barons, or got lucky and got the land for a reasonable price upon release? It's crazy when a 1024sqm parcel costs more than a full private region, like WHAT?! Who wants to be in Bay City THAT badly? Do people really pay THAT much for land? Are any of those parcels actually selling at that price point?  

P.T. Barnum has a ton of parcels for sale there.  Right by the Brooklyn Bridge.

6 hours ago, animats said:

Their in-world hub is strange. It's a skybox with some signs. There's a door. If you walk through the door, you're falling in space. Then you splat onto a skybox. Below that, there's another skybox. And another. And another. The ground level has an abandoned drive-in theater which doesn't seem to play movies.

I may be wrong, but it kind of looks like Operation Mainland is a realty operation that rents the ground level of skybox stacks.

Are you sure you're at the right spot?  That doesn't sound like Operation Mainland.  They've got a lot of great roadside and waterside parcels at reasonable prices.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rabid Cheetah said:

Are you sure you're at the right spot?  That doesn't sound like Operation Mainland.  They've got a lot of great roadside and waterside parcels at reasonable prices.

I started here.

mainlandhq.thumb.jpg.8453f91726618d191ac878a251de294d.jpgOperation Mainland office, Bay City

cliffsatlotalanding.thumb.jpg.b00f2acd97ab194382d7fe37482c8746.jpg

The Cliffs at Lota, from the SLURL from the display at the office.

Last time, I somehow ended up in a skybox in that skybox stack, apparently its rental office.This time, on a parcel at ground level.

They've done a nice job of repurposing some cliff-top space that's hard to use.

Edited by animats
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/23/2022 at 4:35 PM, animats said:

It's not an operation that rents skybox stacks. It's a group for a real estate project I’ve been working on for the last year geared twoards trying to 'claim abandoned land' and remaking it into something people can use. I've tried to be pretty transparent about the project.

Some of the parcels have skyboxes on them (like that mountain you took a picture of) - it's an attempt at trying to use 'hard to use' land that has been abandoned for awhile and turn it into something people might use - like skybox rentals. 

That picture you posted is NOT mine - it's my neighbors. It seems the camera is positioned in a way to make it look like mine or part of the build you are at - Was that intentional?

FYI - Everything I've placed on every parcel I had for the duration of this project is at least above 1,500 sqm. And always will be. :) 

Edited by Feorie Frimon

On 1/24/2022 at 11:34 AM, animats said:

I started here.

mainlandhq.thumb.jpg.8453f91726618d191ac878a251de294d.jpgOperation Mainland office, Bay City

cliffsatlotalanding.thumb.jpg.b00f2acd97ab194382d7fe37482c8746.jpg

The Cliffs at Lota, from the SLURL from the display at the office.

Last time, I somehow ended up in a skybox in that skybox stack, apparently its rental office.This time, on a parcel at ground level.

They've done a nice job of repurposing some cliff-top space that's hard to use.

One more thing - in the screenshot you posted first there are two displays that you can see in the picture - the one you are standing in front of says ‘For Rent’ at the top. You can see it above the display and more details underneath. That kiosk is to show rental skyboxes in different spots in the mainland in those ‘hard to build on’ spots I mentioned in the post above.

The other kiosk you can see in that picture that you posted says ‘For Sale’. That kiosk (at the time of the picture) listed parcels that are For Sale that fall within a certain set of criteria for the group listing them. 

I’ll be sure to swing by tomorrow to double check the signage - I tried to make it pretty clear. Hope that clears up any confusion! 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 791 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.