Your budget?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 817 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Benson Gravois said:

How did you have time to live all day and night on SL?

I basically live online in SL. I work at home for a call center that is very slow. I also live in a state where a lot of people don't believe in getting vaccinated and since I'm at a higher risk of getting COVID I rarely go anywhere because I'd like to live. lol

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't have a fixed budget. I try to be sensible with my spending on a regular basis, but sometimes I spend too much. For instance, when I returned to SL a few months ago, I spent way too freely updating my avatar and replacing many of the outdated things in my inventory, which I needed to rebuild and furnish/decorate my "home". Black Friday was another occasion in which I went overboard. But at least spending in SL is not as costly as in RL. :D

• Like 1

I have an "online recreation" allowance I set myself (about 10-20 SGD a month), so what I spend on SL is shared with my other gaming activities. I only buy one-off things these days, not subscriptions, as they make me feel obliged to play something. I also enjoy freebie and bargain hunting, and I make a tiny amount from my shop, so this is sufficient for my needs. 

• Like 1

When I was running my rental business (about 20 rental units), I never had to put any money into SL after it got established. Rentals paid the tier and enough extra to support my shopping habit and my annual Premium membership.

Since I closed that out, I pay for one annual Premium membership. I'm trying to live within what I make from my weekly stipend, and from my teaching stipend at Caledon Oxbridge University. Altogether, that comes to about $L2700 per month. But I'm not fanatical about it; if I find something that I really, really want, I'll buy some $L and get it.

• Like 3

It's more a matter of time for me - how much time am I willing to spend on buying stuff in SL. I'd say my budget would be about 5 to 10 hours per month standing in a shopping area, looking around, trying demos.

reversal.jpg.9c230da70fe844610e678bc696509ec5.jpg

"Beyond the Break-Even Horizon, L$ and time are reversed."

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
Added Penrose-Schwartzman diagram
  • Like 3

I think I buy at least 10 000 L every month, unless it is some sale that I go crazy in. So the money spent divided on 12 months would be more than 10 K linden. Let us say I spend 50 US per month. That is a rough estimate. I have not looked up my bank account, I don't dare to.

But SL is the main part of what I spend on entertainment. I am mostly at home and do not spend much money on my RL self.

I am also Premium and that is 99 US every year. It is not so much compared to what I shop for. I am also not sure if I will stay premium, since I find the small Li limit more and more restrictive. I rent a place for what equals 17 US monthly. I am considering to let the Premium expire without renewing it and put the money in renting instead.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 817 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.