Your budget?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 822 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm just curious what people regularly budget to spend in Second Life?

Per month I mean.

I don't mean Sim owners and all that I just mean users who have some kind of home and who buy clothes and things whenever they want.

How much should someone expect to spend on Second Life a month to live comfortably?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Benson Gravois said:

Per month I mean.

I don't mean Sim owners and all that I just mean users who have some kind of home and who buy clothes and things whenever they want.

How much should someone expect to spend on Second Life a month to live comfortably?

I'm a premium member and own a 1024 parcel on mainland.  In reality, I could live comfortably spending nothing in SL.  I have more than enough of everything. 

• Like 7

I don't buy whatever I want, because then I would be way over my budget.
I pay $ 99 + vat for my premium account a year.

I have a 4096 m plot on a private region.
Most of the time I make some L$ from sales in a month too.
There are months that I don't need to buy L$ at all and there are months I have to, so my expenses vary a lot. But it is never more than 30 - 40 euro a month. That is with tier for the land included.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2

I don't really have a budget.  I try not to put real life money into SL these days, although I used to before I started hosting.  Back then I used to rely on hunts for most of my wardrobe unless it was something I really wanted. I would buy chunks of Lindens ($5,000 - 10,000) when ever I got low (about $8 US dollars every 3-4 months) and spent most of that on tipping in clubs. Once I started hosting I never needed to buy Lindens again.  Since I retired in both RL and SL I have been spending a lot less time in SL.  So I don't buy very much anymore since I'm not there. I sold my mainland (which I'd held for about ten years) since I was there so little and I didn't cash it out to RL so I have enough to tip when I go to clubs and buy whatever I want, but again I'm not there as much so I spend less.

ETA: Oh and I have two annual premium accounts, one of which I am dropping when it comes up for renewal.

Edited by kali Wylder
  • Like 3

At my peak of spending, I was pumping about $300-400 USD into SL per month. That was when I was online almost day and night every single day, which was years ago. Now I only casually hop online and have made it a fun game for myself to trim down any expenses. On average I now spend about $40 a month (which includes my premium membership and land fees). 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

I don't have a set budget for Second Life but probably spend more now than I used to do at the beginning of the adventure - around 2008 to2014 - when I was a premium member. My Second Life used to pay for itself because I was lucky with land selling for a while and had a little job that paid me a weekly wage too. 

After a couple of years or so break from Second Life, I returned but still haven't decided if I can regularly budget for premium membership quite just yet, and I only spend between £5 and £30 a month at the very most, not regularly, depending very much on what's going on out here in real life.

Edited by Marigold Devin
Attempting to word it better.

I don't technically spend anything in SL, i earn. I used to make and sell planes but i don't have too much time for that anymore. I practically give them away. Apparently i'm semi-good at scripting so i script for others. With a few of them i have a contract where i earn 10% of the sales they make if my work is in it. that is enough for me to do pretty much whatever i want in SL (within ToS, lol) and take out around $500 a month to my rl bank account. - I am not a premium member since i don't see the point of it. I rent a small plot of land for stupid cheap and i'm 4000m up in the air most of the time making a royal mess up there. Talk about "air pollution" eh? ;) 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Benson Gravois said:

Per month I mean.

I simply cannot buy clothes and things "whenever I want". I have a premium account at US$99 a year (around £84 when VAT and a poor exchange rate are factored in) and the Linden Home which comes with it is the only land I have. I have one hosting gig per week which nets me around L$3-4000 a month, plus another L$1200 a month from my premium stipend and I get by mostly on that alone, though I occasionally purchase an extra L$5000 here and there, certainly not as often as once a month. 

But I have to be very careful with what I buy, I can't afford most clothes at full price so I go solely for cheap sales, freebies, discount shops, and I cannot go to as many club events as I want to because I would not be able to tip the staff.

So realistically, I would say that the amount I spend is not sufficient for the full SL experience.

• Like 2

These days I don't spend much as a Tiny can wear the same outfit for ages and nobody cares, although I have bought some more Tiny furniture recently, which used up my stipend; that normally gets spent on rental and tips.  If I buy linden dollars it'll be for something like paying a good while in advance for the rental.

• Like 2

It various greatly for me, at times I just live off my stipen unless I get a crazy notion that I find something I must have right NOW! Then I'll plop down $10-20 USD depending on what it is. Im strictly a consumer in SL, other then my premium account I dont earn lindens any other way other then what I put in. 

• Like 2

I haven't bought L$ for many years, so anything I have to spend comes from what I can earn in world or in MP. I have no budget, except that I obviously can't spend any more than I have in my account at any time after paying the land fees for my region. If I don't have enough L$ to buy what I want, I save until I do have enough -- just like in RL. I can go for months sometimes without buying anything and then buy a few expensive things that catch my eye.

• Like 3

Most of my spending is on my land, which currently amounts to quite a sizeable chunk (without logging in to check, I have around 11,000 sq.m right now.  So I have 3 premium accounts contributing their tier, plus an additional fee of US$35 per month.  I no longer have any inworld earnings besides stipend, so I'll buy L$ whenever I get low, but that's irregular so I couldn't tell you how much it works out at per month. I'd be surprised if it was more than US$12 per month. I used to spend more on L$ purchases, but then I had less land and only one premium account, so it all balances out. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Kylie Jaxxon said:

Yikes!!  Reading what everyone else has posted, I don't even want to say how much I put into SL :(

You don't have to tell anyone what you spend, but I wish I had a little more money to spend, not just on Second Life, and also have a higher spec computer to run Second Life on.

Having said that, I am grateful for what I've got. (I got a new computer chair today, it's pink, I've been spinning around on it like a loon - daft how a little thing like that can make such a massive difference to a dull day :D).

Adding a picture, isn't it pretty? 

21.01.2022 Argos office chair.jpg

Edited by Marigold Devin
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

Tips for friends music clubs is all. (sort of)🙄
Equates to say: L$1200 a month?
Premium membership of course.
But if some irresistible outfit/clothing item/s comes out....
The purse strings of WAR! shall be released......😈💀☠️

CeltFemWarrior3371325.jpg

Edited by Maryanne Solo
  • Like 5

The definition of comfortable does vary quite a lot, just like in rl. Depends on activities, interests and needs. Some enjoy decorating and building, some are fine with just having a spot to rezz a box to unpack things if needed, which is usually either free (sandboxes, friends' homes etc) or very cheap (those 50-60L skyboxes would do just fine for that purpose).

Same for the  shopping. Some people need and want to have fatpacks of latest releases from all big events, some are fine with just a few things per month from weekend sales.

I don't set myself a budget for things in SL. Not counting my region, of course. Some months there are more interesting releases that I want to get and use for new looks, outfits and builds. Usually around time when some specific events are open; Midnight Order and Engine Room would be a couple I'd mention for where I tend to spend a lot. And some months I just skip through events list quickly, get a few demos or take a look at things in-world and maybe get 1/10 of what I've demo-ed.

Time is also very important factor. If I have more time for SL, I tend to look around my region and see if I want to change or upgrade something, which often leads to buying new furniture or decor. And if I'm busy with RL, then I usually don't bother as it's rather time consuming and I don't like to leave things unfinished for too long.

So some months it can be as little as 50$ for the shopping purposes, and some are 200$+.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, MirandaBowers said:

At my peak of spending, I was pumping about $300-400 USD into SL per month. That was when I was online almost day and night every single day, which was years ago. Now I only casually hop online and have made it a fun game for myself to trim down any expenses. On average I now spend about $40 a month (which includes my premium membership and land fees). 

How did you have time to live all day and night on SL?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have a Premium membership for myself and (currently) 2 alt accounts. I get the stipends from those, so L$900 per week, but that doesn't cover what I spend.  I don't really budget for SL - when I get low on L$, I buy more (these days, with the new fees, I buy in super large chunks).  I currently own a Linden home with one account and own Mainland that I pay an extra $13 per month for tier.   I have a RL slush/fun fund that gets a tiny bit of each paycheck.  Whatever is in there is the most I can spend -- and I also have to use that account for any other fun stuff (like new laptop or desktop).  Lately, I haven't been buying as much "stuff" because I feel like my 165,000+ inventory has to have everything that I could possibly need - for at least the next many months.  I do still spend money feeding my KittyCats and will soon be spending money renting a space to sell the babies.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

I have 2 premium (annual) & 2 basic accounts. I don't spend much on my basic accounts, but I give them a few lindens to buy things from time to time.

What this boils down to is $ 200 US/ year, averaging out to maybe $20/ month at most (if I add money I've spent in the past for extra lindens). I don't pay rent, because I have a nice mainland parcel. I don't need to buy much, because there is so much free and sale stuff in SL. I rarely buy a new mesh body or head. I do contribute to sims or tip people sometimes. 

Edited by Persephone Emerald
to add
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, kali Wylder said:

I would buy chunks of Lindens ($5,000 - 10,000) when ever I got low (about $8 US dollars every 3-4 months)

You must have not bought Linden's in a long time that 5-10k L's now cost $22-$44 not counting the tax. 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Benson Gravois said:

How did you have time to live all day and night on SL?

There was a period of time where I was living off of my savings and no longer working or in school, I had more free time on my hands than I was prepared for. I was living in a state I didn't enjoy so I tried to ignore that by burying myself online. I have happily relocated several times since and started new work :) 

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 822 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.