Seeking folks that are into watching old B&W movies together

Nimue Galatea

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 911 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

SL is what got me into the Silver Screen (those ultra-cozy films of 40s-60s). For some reason, watching them through Second Life makes them an extra yummy comfort food.

Am I the only one? If not, I'd love to start a group where we'd meet up once a week to watch a movie together and then maybe discuss it afterwards!

• Like 7

During my early says in SL, my then partner and I would sometimes lay on the hoods of cars parked in the drive-in theater across the alley from FogBound Blues. We'd turn off the sound and ad-lib dialog for what we saw on-screen. Later, I built a drive-in theater on our car-less tropical island, where we did the same thing while riding tire swings hanging from palm trees.

So, you're not the only one who likes this idea. Unfortunately I'm not in-world much these days, but I hope you find others to share the experience with.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, blissfulbreeze said:

How would we watch old movies together though? I don't think the TVs in second life have those preinstalled?

ย  ย The easiest way is to make a TV that is basically just a browser, you can then use that to watch any kind of streaming service such as YouTube or Netflix directly through it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jordan Whitt said:

images.jpg.e5b1121cbb62e40202c4cf04c60a4237.jpg

ย  ย So, when were we going to watch Killer Klowns from Outer Space?

• Haha 1

Just now, Marigold Devin said:

2.ย  ย It's not black and white

ย  ย Well, it can be arranged .. First time I saw Alien, it was accidentally in black and white, as the cable to the VHS player was damaged.

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Orwar said:

ย  ย Well, it can be arranged .. First time I saw Alien, it was accidentally in black and white, as the cable to the VHS player was damaged.

We watched the (colour) remake of Psycho. Being in colour it seemed to lose something - or it may just have been some of the actors were miscast. (Or maybe they should never remake classic movies.)

• Like 1

On 1/22/2022 at 1:35 AM, Marigold Devin said:

We watched the (colour) remake of Psycho. Being in colour it seemed to lose something - or it may just have been some of the actors were miscast. (Or maybe they should never remake classic movies.)

Good directors of those masterpieces thought in black and white. They used every trick in the book and the ones they came up with themselves when it came to lighting and dramatic effects in black and white.
These movies were never made to be colorized afterwards.

And to go back on topic a bit: I'm in SL to not watch tv. So not my cup of tea to start watching movies in SL.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1

We can do this together :) I'm quite fond of old movies, especially the Noir style...

On 1/21/2022 at 7:17 PM, Orwar said:

Pfft, I used to watch some of the "premium" and pr** channels in glorious, distorted B&W... this was when cable was analog LOLย 

That said I love old-school film noir movies and dramas too. Great late night viewing when there's nothing else on for me.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 911 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.