Why is Abandoned Land being raised?

Soull Starlight

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 826 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm a landowner around the former Campbell Coast area in Corsica who deeply enjoyed and continue to thrive in the community space that we collectively built and maintained. As the community has evolved, I've noticed that the reclaimed abandoned land that existed between our parcels for aesthetics have been systemically raised high, disrupting the current land owner's parcels. 

Here's a few examples: 

2cd6b2b3834b0de01cea3163d198368e.jpg

ba501cdfe8a1daad5fd51445e35ecd58.jpg

I've not seen deliberately disrupted abandoned land done this way in any other continent that I own land on (I own a full region of mainland across several continents, but have the most land in Corsica), where abandoned land might sit undisturbed for years. While I have the ability to repurchase and repair the land that's been lifted (and am not looking for a solution to fix), I'd like to find out why this is being done, and specifically on Corsica and in this area. If anyone else has seen this on different continents, I'd love to learn more!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Feorie Frimon said:

I put in a ticket for over there and it was declined - it’s my understanding the area is being reworked and put to auction.

It might have been the work of someone preparing it FOR auction or it’s been sold and now the new owner terraformed it that way. 

Thanks for your response! Yes, the parcel that you put in a ticket for is already up for auction, but the land (reclaimed and owned fully by the Lindens) was raised before that. If they're reworking the land, why not ping the landowners on either side first to give them an opportunity to purchase before disrupting their land? It just feels...weird, and when I've put tickets in to reclaim some of the abandoned land, this is not mentioned...it just gets sold to me quickly. And I've not seen it anywhere else. 

2 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

I've seen abandoned land "raised" if that's the effect of reverting it to the region's original terrain.

If, on the other hand, that height is raised above the reverted terrain, then I haven't seen them do that and I can't guess why they would.

I appreciate your insight! It doesn't seem that it's being reverted, more that the Lindens find the land and raise it suddenly. I have a museum in the area that had a thin strip of abandoned land between the two parcels which were obviously owned and maintained, and the land there was raised about two weeks after it was abandoned and reabsorbed by LL. I repurchased it, but there was no explanation as to why they did that. :/ 

• Like 1

It could be something fairly simple, like they raise these odd strips to make them more visible for potential purchasers. If I had a parcel that was affected, I might file a support ticket and just explain that it's affecting my land, and ask why this is happening. Maybe it's a temporary thing while they sort that whole mess out. 

• Like 3

• Moles

Using the revert tool to return the land back to the level it was when it was baked many many years ago when the region was created is a common practice when processing land for auction. Otherwise people will buy the land expecting a +/-4m of terraforming range only to discover later they do not have what they thought they did because the land was already at its limit. 

Terraform your own parcel where it borders that parcel. Select and use the revert tool. Does your land seek roughly the same level as the parcel? If it does then that is exactly what was done. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Abnor Mole said:

Using the revert tool to return the land back to the level it was when it was baked many many years ago when the region was created is a common practice when processing land for auction. Otherwise people will buy the land expecting a +/-4m of terraforming range only to discover later they do not have what they thought they did because the land was already at its limit. 

Terraform your own parcel where it borders that parcel. Select and use the revert tool. Does your land seek roughly the same level as the parcel? If it does then that is exactly what was done. 

Even this requires judgement calls. Seeing the pics above, the condition of the land would not make it attractive to buyers, unless the strategy is to force existing parcel owners to buy the land to remove the negative aesthetics. It's strips of land in between parcels in use, not plots you can put any usable footprint structure on. They're prim land at best which requires no terraforming for sale.

• Like 4

I have seen in the past people who have taken whole regions and trimmed them down in a way that all the land they abandoned was less than attractive for anyone to purchase leaving them with essentially a whole region to themselves while only paying half the tier.

606dde106a93824b5902abe74e9e0e7c.jpg

304f124aba39876344d16d781c625605.thumb.jpg.958cd51e9acbe68a636d251159287ca1.jpg

Edited by Hunny Bunny
  • Sad 3

personally i think that abandoned parcels should be leveled and smoothed to fit with the existing occupied neighbour parcels, so that it 1) doesn't mess up the neighbours view, and 2) gives a strong indication to prospective buyers that working in with the neighbours is a good thing

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Hunny Bunny said:

I have seen in the past people who have taken whole regions and trimmed them down in a way that all the land they abandoned was less than attractive for anyone to purchase leaving them with essentially a whole region to themselves while only paying half the tier.

606dde106a93824b5902abe74e9e0e7c.jpg

304f124aba39876344d16d781c625605.thumb.jpg.958cd51e9acbe68a636d251159287ca1.jpg

Concierge will never publicly admit it (I've tried several times on camera to get them to only to be ignored.), but they do have an unwritten eminent domain policy.

I have been the victim of it a few times in the past with tiny roadside parcels near/surrounded by land they wanted to set for auction.

And when you have your land stolen from you and engage with the Linden that took it, they will ignore you and any tickets you submit about it.

They may even put a warning flag on your account with claims of land cutting if you annoy them too much.

Good times...😕

Edited by Lucia Nightfire
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

3 minutes ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

Concierge will never publicly admit it (I've tried several times on camera to get them to only to be ignored.), but they do have an unwritten eminent domain policy.

I have been the victim of it a few times in the past with tiny roadside parcels near/surrounded by land they wanted to set for auction.

And when you have your land stolen from you and engage with the Linden that took it, they will ignore you and any tickets you submit about it.

They may even put a warning flag on your account with claims of land cutting if you annoy them too much.

Good times...😕

Well, that pic was taken today and you can see it has a date over a year ago "to be consolidated" but in the state it's in now I don't know anyone who would want it with their neighbor's trees and fountains protruding into the parcel.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Hunny Bunny said:

Well, that pic was taken today and you can see it has a date over a year ago "to be consolidated" but in the state it's in now I don't know anyone who would want it with their neighbor's trees and fountains protruding into the parcel.

Guy carves out 1024 sqm parcels minimum out of such regions all the time. There's plenty of usable space in that region still.

2 minutes ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

Guy carves out 1024 sqm parcels minimum out of such regions all the time. There's plenty of usable space in that region still.

Yet nobody is using it nor have they since I lived next door or will they as long as there's other parcels available without the neighbor's garbage obstructing it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

Even this requires judgement calls. Seeing the pics above, the condition of the land would not make it attractive to buyers, unless the strategy is to force existing parcel owners to buy the land to remove the negative aesthetics. It's strips of land in between parcels in use, not plots you can put any usable footprint structure on. They're prim land at best which requires no terraforming for sale.

Abnor, I appreciate the response and the knowledge about the 'why', but I totally agree with Lucia here. I'd not be motivated to buy a strip of land that obviously bothered my neighbors in that way, and if I did acquire it, the very first thing I'd do was to level it and try to match the surroundings to respect my neighbor's space. It would definitely be prim land to a potential buyer, and it doesn't promote community in the way this is being currently done. 

4 hours ago, Mollymews said:

personally i think that abandoned parcels should be leveled and smoothed to fit with the existing occupied neighbour parcels, so that it 1) doesn't mess up the neighbours view, and 2) gives a strong indication to prospective buyers that working in with the neighbours is a good thing

I agree, Mollymews. That would inspire the spirits of cooperation and land beautification for the landowners or potential buyers. It's about promoting community and working together to create beautiful/unique/interesting spaces. 

The thing that I still have a question about however, is why it's being done just in that area. If this was a common practice, I would have seen so many more pieces of abandoned land leveled in the same way. I've seen communities that cut deep into the land, where neighboring abandoned land is not stories higher than the community. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Soull Starlight said:

The thing that I still have a question about however, is why it's being done just in that area. If this was a common practice, I would have seen so many more pieces of abandoned land leveled in the same way. I've seen communities that cut deep into the land, where neighboring abandoned land is not stories higher than the community. 

only the Land Linden working on this could say for sure

sometimes tho when landscaping terrain we can just make a mistake and not realise it. Like we think we have just raised/lowered a selection area, not realising that we have lost/dropped the selection and the change is applied to the whole parcel. Which we may not noitce when we working with a parcel that is made up of 4-8 metre wide paths going off in different directions between pre-existing builds which obscure the view

Edited by Mollymews
more
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Soull Starlight said:

The land near my shop has been reverted before sale quite a few times over the years I've been there. It's very obvious because the default is awful (weird bumpy ground). I guess it's less obvious in some places.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Soull Starlight said:

I'm a landowner around the former Campbell Coast area in Corsica who deeply enjoyed and continue to thrive in the community space that we collectively built and maintained. As the community has evolved, I've noticed that the reclaimed abandoned land that existed between our parcels for aesthetics have been systemically raised high, disrupting the current land owner's parcels. 

Here's a few examples: 

2cd6b2b3834b0de01cea3163d198368e.jpg

ba501cdfe8a1daad5fd51445e35ecd58.jpg

I've not seen deliberately disrupted abandoned land done this way in any other continent that I own land on (I own a full region of mainland across several continents, but have the most land in Corsica), where abandoned land might sit undisturbed for years. While I have the ability to repurchase and repair the land that's been lifted (and am not looking for a solution to fix), I'd like to find out why this is being done, and specifically on Corsica and in this area. If anyone else has seen this on different continents, I'd love to learn more!

There are three possible reasons:

1. The Lindens are in a hurry to get as much abandoned land auctioned or sold to resident directly as possibly. And they may believe that raising it up high brings it to people's attention and gets them to buy it faster. 

2. On some auctions, I see them raising up parcels and taking pictures in such a way as to disguise the fact that ad farms set to extortionist prices are adjacent to the lots. Well, like any real estate dealers, they want to present the lot as attractively as possible.

3. They routinely click on "revert" on all auctions before selling it to you, even if they hadn't before. And this means that now I have to specifically ask them not to do that, but I don't know if they will honour that request. I saw this beautifully landscaped abandoned snow land with deep gulches in it, very nicely terraformed, perfect the way it was -- in fact that's why I asked to buy it. Then when I got it, it had been reduced into an ugly jumble and I had no hope of putting it back the way I saw it. Well, live and learn.

If you mean land in the former Campbell, now Corsica South Coast area that I owned and raised up, I will tell you why I raised up my easements -- to be level at the road. Why not lower the road? Because it was put at one end originally at the level of the Linden road. And I think having the houses down in gulches below the road level isn't so great and makes it hard to ride out of.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

Good times...😕

This has never happened to me but did happen to my neighbour on one sim to the point where she writes a description on the small parcels DO NOT TAKE.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 826 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.