Link my plot with a road

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 792 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone.

Walking around SL I usually see plots next to roads that have elements that join the plot with LL roads. These elements occupy part of the road terrain (the edges) and eventually merge with the asphalt of the road. As much as I try on my plot, when I place any element that occupies part of the road it is returned. Could you explain to me how to get it?

Thank you.

Whenever your objects extend onto someone else's property, the owner of that property can return it. In the case of roads and other protected lands, the owner is Linden Lab. The Lab can sometimes tolerate a small amount of encroachment as long as you don't block people from using the road or create some other kind of public nuisance.  They are still within their rights to return things that extend beyond your parcel if they wish.  Under some circumstances, you can ask Linden Lab to sell you a bit of abandoned land (or even protected land, but that's not as likely) to use for a driveway or whatever.

Thanks for the answer. maybe the solution is to ask LL. There is no matter of buying land, because the land limiting with my plot is Road Protected Land, so there is no land in between to buy. The matter is to build a acess from my plot to the road, and to do it I have necessarily to put some element occupying part of LL land. It really can be done, because I see it in many places of mainland. Probably what I have to do is ask directly to the support how do do it. Anyway, thanks for you help.

37 minutes ago, Freyja Vanlager said:

It really can be done, because I see it in many places of mainland.

Oh, I didn't say that it can't be done.  All you have to do is be sure that the root prim of your driveway object remains on your own parcel.  The problem is that you really can't do it legally.  Linden Lab could come along and return it any time they wish if they decide that it is blocking their road or defacing public property.  That's not likely to happen spontaneously in most parts if the Mainland, but if someone decides to submit an AR to complain about your driveway, LL could then discover it and zap it.

Do it neatly.

jaggedroadedge.thumb.jpg.991c853ea3d2ef3e539195e3ef2113c5.jpg

If you don't do that, you get ugly jaggyness like this. It takes some cooperation to make angled land edges look right. LL does not seem to object to landscape objects which match their theme. Trees which hang over roads are very common, as is landscaping up to the road edge.

• Like 1

Make a sloping prim using path cut that is the length of the tarmac and tapered down to a point which will touch the road.  Adjust the length and width and height as necessary, possibly using the Profile cut, reduce the height. Texture it to be the same as the tarmac.

Then, either link it to the tarmac ( possibly a bad idea as if the encroachine piece is returned the tarmac will go with it), or link it to another prim that is placed beneath the tarmac.

Create the section of road/path/driveway that you want to connect, texture it accordingly and link it to a transparent root prim, keeping the root prim on your parcel/property.  If the root prim is on your property with a portion extending onto or over the side of the road on LL land, it should remain.  Slope as needed.  Do not link it to anything else or have the root prim over the property line.

I should have explained that with the root prim on your property it counts against your prim count and it's not perceived as being on another person's land, although it might actually extend onto theirs a little bit.  This is how off-sim objects and backgrounds work; the root prim remains on the owner's land with attached prims extending beyond.  I hope this is clearer and helps.

7 hours ago, Freyja Vanlager said:

So you mean that if I set some prim invading part of Linden Road plot, but linked (an rooted) to another prim located totally in my plot it will work. Thanks, I'll try it.

The whole root prim doesn't have to be on your land. If the center of the root prim is on your land, it counts as if the whole linkset is on your land.

• 4 weeks later...

Easiest way to describe it:

When you edit it to move the little arros that show up in the middle of your item need to stay on your parcel.

I use anchoring for the brige going in to my parcel, there is a *massive* ditch on the side of the Linden Road here, so without that you can't even get out of my driveway as the terrain will eat pretty much any vehicle.

The issue I ran into is that, when using that bridge from the other side, it is phantom. You can drive on it from my parcel, but fall through it from the Linden parcel, so we set up a rezzer that deploys and deletes an invisible prim under it on a neighbor's place (the road runs along a region border, so even more fun there) and it will create and kill a hidden prim that lines up with my bridge on the Linden parcel but cycle it so it is never there long enough to be auto-returned.

Being able to put in a request to have the roadside terraformed to actually place solid ground beneath it would be ideal, but LL doesn't do things like that, so you have to get hack jobs to work around it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 792 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.