Search Broke?

Vicious Hollow

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 816 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing similar search issues. What happens, is basically nothing. I go to search, ( https://search.secondlife.com/) put in the keyword for our shop, and get, nothing - 0 results. I can check on dashboard or when logged in to SL and see our upcoming events are there, but again, they're not coming up in search. I also don't see my name logged in at the top of the page, nor can I change the maturity level. 

It's 2:39pm my time, and ironically around an hour ago it was working fine. I haven't seen mention of any maintenance happening, but wondering if there is some happening, or again if anyone else is seeing similar?

haha I thought I had discovered a workaround - I used the viewer's web-browser to log in on the main website, then go to search.secondlife.com and I was logged in, and it worked. But I guess it worked cos they actually fixed it, not cos I found an actual workaround, lol

• Haha 1

On 1/18/2022 at 3:39 PM, Vicious Hollow said:

I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing similar search issues. What happens, is basically nothing. I go to search, ( https://search.secondlife.com/) put in the keyword for our shop, and get, nothing - 0 results. I can check on dashboard or when logged in to SL and see our upcoming events are there, but again, they're not coming up in search. I also don't see my name logged in at the top of the page, nor can I change the maturity level. 

It's 2:39pm my time, and ironically around an hour ago it was working fine. I haven't seen mention of any maintenance happening, but wondering if there is some happening, or again if anyone else is seeing similar?

Welcome to my world, for the last year, on the regular SL viewer, where Search was broken now more than a year ago, then further crippled with a "facelift." There have been lengthy threads on this.

But if you are on the *Firestorm* viewer, you need to actively worry, as search was not changed back when the TPVs forked from SL's search (in viewer 2.0), and has remained intact and useful all this time.

Lewis, what viewer are you on? SL Search on the regular viewer is totally crippled for searches on exact business names (for keywords as well but that's a separate story). If you type in an exact term like "Linden Lab" or "Ravenglass Rentals," instead of a neat list of the number of lots that are checked off for search/places, let's say 120 in my case, as I can see on Alchemy or other TPVs, including Firestorm, I see an interface that only supplies about 5 or at most 10 returns out of a list of some 2000-3000 returns, some of which of course have my parcels that were in search/places, but some which were not.

And that's the crux of the brokenness. I view the inclusion of region names in these results as another salient feature of the brokenness of search, although Lindens have explained that this was deliberate.

If this happened on *Firestorm* and they fixed it -- what happened? Because on the SL viewer in 2018, they fixed it, and in 48 hours it was "back to normal". Then in 2020 it was broken/changed permanently.

5 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Welcome to my world, for the last year, on the regular SL viewer, where Search was broken now more than a year ago, then further crippled with a "facelift." There have been lengthy threads on this.

But if you are on the *Firestorm* viewer, you need to actively worry, as search was not changed back when the TPVs forked from SL's search (in viewer 2.0), and has remained intact and useful all this time.

Lewis, what viewer are you on? SL Search on the regular viewer is totally crippled for searches on exact business names (for keywords as well but that's a separate story). If you type in an exact term like "Linden Lab" or "Ravenglass Rentals," instead of a neat list of the number of lots that are checked off for search/places, let's say 120 in my case, as I can see on Alchemy or other TPVs, including Firestorm, I see an interface that only supplies about 5 or at most 10 returns out of a list of some 2000-3000 returns, some of which of course have my parcels that were in search/places, but some which were not.

And that's the crux of the brokenness. I view the inclusion of region names in these results as another salient feature of the brokenness of search, although Lindens have explained that this was deliberate.

If this happened on *Firestorm* and they fixed it -- what happened? Because on the SL viewer in 2018, they fixed it, and in 48 hours it was "back to normal". Then in 2020 it was broken/changed permanently.

This is the particular issue being discussed here and in another thread somewhere.  

https://secondlife-status.statuspage.io/incidents/p616zcqn31gj

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 816 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.