The Future of Gaming / Virtual - Microsoft?

Paulsian

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 799 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Microsoft is making huge approx. 68 billion dollar purchase. Intelligent to purchase the tools vs developing them, it's what I would have done. 

Wonders what they are going to do with all those developers?? Ready Player One? Console, PC, and Mobile.  

(side note: thank you Linden Lab for adding spell and grammar check to the forums. Seems to work well.) 

future of virtual.PNG

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, StarlanderGoods said:

I have no idea, the last time I was thrilled about Microsoft making a game..... it was probably for some version of Flight Simulator. (that I tried for a couple of hours and then dropped forever)

The last flight simulator was pretty good I heard. I never played it but it got pretty good reviews and its kind of popular for streams and youtube vids as well. IDK. I think this is a good thing for Blizzard and hopefully gamers as well. It has stagnated quite a bit over the years. MS can't do much worse than what Activision was doing.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Paulsian said:

Microsoft is making huge approx. 68 billion dollar purchase. Intelligent to purchase the tools vs developing them, it's what I would have done. 

Wonders what they are going to do with all those developers?? Ready Player One? Console, PC, and Mobile.  

(side note: thank you Linden Lab for adding spell and grammar check to the forums. Seems to work well.) 

future of virtual.PNG

Good! Now we need Google to buy Wikipedia and fix it up.

Gradually, the tech bro culture and the gamerz culture that spawned it (or reinforced it) will recede into the past as the corner is turned on a new iteration of the Internet.

And here's the operative part: what the World of Warcraft game gods had to do in order to have the adults buy them: 

"Microsoft Gaming CEO Phil Spencer said the company's response to allegations was "fundamental" to its decision to acquire Activision Blizzard."

Activision Blizzard Fired Nearly 40 Employees Accused Of Misconduct Since July 2021

So as much as the geeks in Active Vision likely hated on Microsoft and scorned MSFT as proprietary and not cool, well, here they are, the grown-ups who could buy out the company that made the largest game in the world, eh? Wasn't it? WoW? Didn't we constantly hear of people leaving SL to go to WoW?

So like it or not, games, especially war games will be part of the Metaverse because not only tech bros like playing them but all kinds of people. But at least the worst excesses of their behaviour will be curbed? Because all developers bleed their views into their worlds.

Next up: admitting the correlation between violent games and RL violence, especially school shooters. There is enormous resistance to this and all the game companies have the scholars in their pockets to claim all of this is unrelated. But not everyone who smokes gets lung cancer. This will be a long time coming, but we can now see it on the horizon.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Haha 1

Activision used to mean Zork etc. Trailblazers in immersive gaming.... once upon a time 
Blizzard has earnt a reputation for pure, unadulterated excrementos has it not?
I may have an MS gaming account? but rest assured I would have been tricked into having one.

These three companies, (or any combination of), can go take a long walk off a short plank as far as I'm concerned.
😝

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chris Nova said:

This is something you should ask over at the WoW forums. Not here.

I think it could be relevant here, not because of the games or whatever but rather because Microsoft/XBOX is clearly scrambling to stock content to stand up against Meta, and that could matter to SL's future as the big boys sort out the "metaverse" market. Google seems inclined to sit this one out (probably smart), and Apple is delayed and always moves last anyway. I guess nVidia might want to play, too, probably others I'm forgetting.

(Yes, I realize "metaverse" is mostly Zuck needing somewhere to hide from Congress, but it's probably more practical than the other bazillionaires comparing missile size.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

I guess nVidia might want to play, too

Rather than attempting to build their own version of the metaverse Nvidia seem more focused on attempting to unify the various development platforms, game engines, etc. by providing the tools and infrastructure they believe are necessary in order to build a metaverse. NVIDIA Omniverse Now Available To All, But What Is It?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ah yeah that's interesting. I've been wondering what they might do, big picture, if the Arm deal gets killed, which seems likely. But I guess it's not as if they have the $40 billion just lying around waiting to be spent on something.

I also keep forgetting that Sony exists.

I can't say the prospect of Microsoft becoming a gaming monopoly cheers me up. Their "little" games like Solitaire are buggy (have been for years) and chock full of ads unless you shell out for the pay versions.  Their biggest game, Microsoft Flight Simulator, is actually made by a company I'd never heard of before, Asobo. It's a great simulator, but my gosh, the download times!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 799 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.