Do You Put Your Avatar to Bed When You Log Off?

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 790 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Well, you might consider a Speedlight account.  Then you can turn your avi into a sleeping bot in it's bed while you are out enjoying yourself in RL Covidville.

Me, I almost always TP home, but that's it.  I have a horror of rezzing in an 'inappropriate' mode of dress or on top of someone else, but I have a habit of forgetting to set 'home' on the viewer before I rez.

• Like 2

I dont put my avatar in any sleeping position before i log. When i am cuddling with someone i will log from that position but otherwise i just log while i am standing at home. I do always put my avatar in the same spot, laying down, when i stay online while i rest rl or have to do some work rl. Just because i like doing that but also as an indication to my family members that i am either working or afk. It is also an invite to join me for a snuggle since it is a pile of pillows for multiple avatars. I like to snuggle :)

• Like 2

I am in the habit of logging out from wherever I am in that moment. More often than not I will have been doing something with my inventory on a sky platform in a sandbox, and it is quite common to find, when I log in next time to my last log in location, my avatar is hurtling towards the ground. Strangely it does make me feel a little stupid/panicky in equal measure, even though I know my avatar is not going to be converted into a massive pool of human jam when she lands. 

When I was quite newbie but had a home of my own, I went through a phase of putting my avatar to bed before logging out, but when I relogged of course she was not in bed.  

One time I put my avatar in bed along with my then partner, which seemed quite romantic, and neither of us logged out.  In the morning I was quite thrilled to see us both still in bed together, and we must have woken up at the same time that morning. I went to make coffee and when I returned to the computer I found my avatar was alone once again, but my partner had left me a sweet message to say he had closed down his computer and gone to work for the day. 

We both left our avatars dancing together in world one night too which was very sweet, because I continued to listen to the music until I fell asleep.  

It always is so hard to log out at the end of a long session knowing that other people are still logged in but my presence is (usually) no longer in existence in it's avatar form in world. Out of sight, out of mind, and all that. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Maryanne Solo said:

I used to.
I actually bought a beautiful bed with tons of poses and linen, (NOT Lindens 😝), none of the poses or anims being of le bawdy/rumpy humpy type ^.^
The routine was complete when you could "sleep" with a bento head anim of closed eyes. 
It served well to close off the inworld session emotionally.
I haven't done it for ages and I see it as just a bit of extra fun. :)

"... extra fun"

Yes. I like that. 

• Like 2

I usually put my avatar in jammies then put her to bed before I log off.  That's restricted to my main, though.  The rest of them I just TP home and then log them out.  I like knowing they're going to be where I left them when I next need to bring them inworld.

For me, it's just part of a routine.  Avatar goes to bed, and I'm less likely to log back in and stay up way too late, thereby proving the saying that SL = Sleep Less :P

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

For those keeping score at home .... with 14 posts so far, we have one avatar who goes to bed when we log off and two who used to but don't any more. Most of us are nonchalant about what our avatars do in their free time.  At most, we take them home, wave good-bye, and trust that they'll be there in the morning.  We are so naive.  

When the stuck presence issue was ongoing and I had left a ghost in world somewhere quite busy, I woke up and found a ton of messages in my email from loads of people and figured Marigold was having quite the party while her controller was sleeping. This was in 2008 I think and I had no idea where I'd been as I'd teleported all over the place during the previous session with the Hoppy Pay HUD.  For three days I found I was unable to log in too, and my then partner sent me an email saying he could see Marigold "log on, log off always" (that 14 minutes online, 1 minute offline routine ghosted avatars went through), 

I really had no idea at all though what was going on and wished someone had taken photographs of my ghost or I'd known then to go in on an alt to try and find her.  

• Like 1

Yes, I have a full pre-logout routine (mostly due to Xeolife). I make sure my avatar is well fed, clean (showered) and tucked into bed in his sleepwear (All xeolife-scripted furniture and consumables). If his energy is extremely low and needs a good amount of time to regenerate, I stay logged on with him in bed, regenerating energy, while I go to sleep in Real Life. Sometimes I forget to feed or clean him so I do that when I do the same in Real Life. I'd then wake up in Real Life, log into SL (or just raise my avatar from his sleep), sit down my avatar at the table with food while I go get breakfast in RL, put him in the shower when I take a shower in RL, etc. Maybe that’s all a bit mental but it’s fun… It's kind of like playing The Sims for me. This makes SL more interactive and immersive than just standing around without any requirements or objectives, and also makes my avatar feel more alive, like he needs to eat, sleep, bathe, and also do things that give him joy/cheer. Without this, SL feels way too static for me and It gets boring quickly when my avatar doesn't have any needs. I like Second Life to be more than just a 3D chat room and a hustle for Lindens. I want it to be more like a game, where my avatar has needs and objectives. XeoLife is awesome, adding that extra bit of interactivity to my avatar. It's kind of like caring for a pet or plant, except that it's my avatar that needs the care.

Edited by davidventer
  • Like 3

I tend to leave mine in bed when I log off as well, specially when my partner is around and we both have to head off. Snuggle, say our goodnights and snap back to reality.

I invested in large bed with high quality mattress and I will use it whenever I can! :D

• Like 4

Like Kali, I save "tucking in" for relationships. That often involves just pulling a blanket over us, wherever we are. This works as well in Discord as in SL. On my own, I'll return home before logging out only if I'm in a place that might not welcome my sudden appearance when I log back in. Otherwise I just poof.

When chatting with someone while I'm ready to leave, I might do this...

Me:    "My hands are full, would you please press that red button to your immediate left?"
They: "What button?"
Me:    "Right there in front of you to the left, just push it."
They: "I don't see a button."
Me:    "Of course you don't. This is SL. Just push it!"
They: "You are so weird."
They pushes the red button.

At that instant, I log off.

ETA: I should add that some of my old friends have pushed the red button immediately after seeing me log in.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

I just log off from SL.
Now with my RL car, that is another story.
I most of the time pet him on the dashboard after yet another safe trip and say or think  'Thanks mate' before I leave the car at home.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1

On 1/17/2022 at 4:49 PM, Rolig Loon said:

Putting your avatar to bed before you log off implies that your avatar is somehow in statis, sleeping until you come back to wake her up. That's an interesting thought, sort of a Sleeping Beauty twist on the meaning of Second Life. It has a romantic appeal.

At my age, though, I know that it's an unrealistic view. When I go to bed in RL, I know that I will wake up at least once before dawn to pee, not waiting for any alarm clock or for the return of Prince Charming. If I put my avatar to bed and log off, I know exactly what would happen.  She'd get up at 4 a.m., stumble around trying to find the bathroom (I don't have one in SL), and be disoriented and a total wreck by the time I log back in.  That's not a fair way to treat her. 

No, I prefer to leave my avatar wide awake, free to roam around and enjoy herself.  I only leave her one simple instruction: "Be here when I get back."  She may explore and have her own secret life -- I'm not going to pry -- but it wouldn't be fair for her to leave me without a skin to crawl into when I log in either. I leave it up to her to figure out how to make it all work.  She's a smart woman and she's never failed yet.

That's very Toy Story-ish, and Wreck-It Ralphy, and TRONic, and probably a few others.  I like it :)

I do have a lavatory with tub, shower, toilet and laundry machines so my Avi can take care of the necessary things if i happened to be gone for an extra day or two.  If I'm going to be gone for more than a week I make sure the cats have extra food, water the plants, and let her know I'll be away and to please not have any wild parties while I'm not there.  If she ever has, she's good about tidying up before I get back, but It's not like I'd notice if anything small was out of place....

I've been known to put my Avi to bed when I log out but I've also been known to leave her sitting out on the deck watching the sunset and trusting her to lock the place up as well. 

That all said, I'll add that I never just willy-nilly log out anywhere: it's always at home.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 790 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.