realistic, non-makeup-y, female face or head

Sylvia Wasp

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 800 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello, 

Every few years or so I post about this but I have yet to get a response, so here is me trying again, lol ...

In the old days, you could make a female avatar that was just, you know ... a female person.  A person who isn't necessarily wearing makeup.  

The new mesh avatars are obviously far superior, but the heads and head skins are almost universally those of women wearing a ton of makeup.  I've been wearing a LAQ head for years simply because they once sold one as a "fresh faced girl" without makeup, (Lulu) but even then, the skin is shiny and it has LAQ's permanent eyeliner baked in. 

Before the angry-patrol chimes in ... I'm not going through this to criticise LAQ or to make waves of any kind.  I'm just trying to be straightforward.  LAQ has been the avatar creator I've leaned on for more than a decade, they do great work, and they do get very *close* to what I want.  

Anyway ... I've finally found a more realistic body skin [session], but it no longer matches my LAQ head of course and session doesn't make skins for LAQ heads.  Also, the session head skins suffer from the same kind of "makeup-itis" that all the other vendors suffer from.  

So, are there any heads or head skins out there that actually have a nice, realistic female skin without makeup?  

I'm prepared to switch heads, switch body skins or do almost anything to finally get a realistic female avatar.  

All I want to do is be able to hang out on the beach without wearing a ton of foundation, foot-long eyelashes and big puffy wax lips.  

Thanks for any help, 

Sylvia :) 

Edited by Sylvia Wasp
  • Like 1

All the skins I use on my mesh heads are sans make up.  A ton of skins are sold as a fresh clean canvas for adding whatever type of make up you want..or not.  In fact, the vast majority of the skins I see these days come that way.   Off the top of my head; The Skinnery , Glam Affair and Deetalez ... just a few Skin store that sell mostly clean faced skins.  There are many more as well. 

• Like 4

Most skins I've seen are, for the most part, makeup free and why there is a huge niche for BOM makeup sales.  None of the skins I've used since using a mesh head have had makeup on them.  Some may have more shading or tint on various areas but no makeup.

Lelutka - EvoX - Female Skins (EvoX mode) | Flickr

Edited by Rowan Amore

These days, I wear less makeup than when I had a system avatar. Because the quality of the skins is so good that I do not feel the need for lots of makeup.

Skins are sold free for makeup. My makeup folder is bursting because I buy makeup in all the sales, but I find that I often go for the simple look. It is also possible to adjust the transparency on HD makeup, so you can make it really soft. Skin shine (materials) can be adjusted or turned off.

The lash length is also adjustable, or eyelashes can be turned off. Will you have shorter alternatives to the default lashes, you can buy a male or natural lash applier. It is a free one from Gloom on the Marketplace, and it is really short.

This picture isn't totally new, but I am still using the same eyebrows and the same skin, only updated to the newest version of Lelutka heads. Head is Lake, skin from YS&YS and brows from Simple Bloom. I think the lashes is the most natural included, and length set to shorter than default.

faces_005.jpg

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 7

I just have to ask, do you find Session skins makeup heavy?

Because those I find on the marketplace are fresh faced - as I define fresh faced. The shine is strong, but can be turned off and the lashes is easy to adjust. https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/session-Leah-Tone-00b-Lelutka-EvoX-Fullbody-Skin-HD-BoM-Appliers/23130594

Are you using a mesh body, and are you using appliers? The Lelutka heads come set up for skins (BoM), not appliers. And the most used bodies I know of, can also be set for BoM.

Izzie's sell natural lips and also highlight corrector. Should the shine literally be painted on the face, and not a shine from the head, it can be fixed. https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/40543/search?utf8=✓&search[category_id]=&search[maturity_level]=GMA&search[keywords]=evo+x

Make sure to always demo products, and also, for Lelutka heads, it must be for EvoX if you use the new version of the heads. Lelutka sell an older line of heads tucked away in the store, but then you are stuck with older versions of skins.

I second Seren; I use DeeTaleZ for myself and all my female alts.  The makeup is a separate thing, and can be added or left off as you desire.  I wear Catwa HDPro Queen (I like the hud-based lipsticks in it better, and it's just more "me"), I use the in-hud lipsticks and blend them down so they're more of a tint than a solid color (more the glosses on the left than the full lipsticks that are on the right side of the lips portion of the hud) and maybe throw on eyeshadow if I feel like it.

10/10 would recommend DeeTalez for either HDPro or the EvoX line.  They're gorgeous skins, with a ton of flexibility.

4 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I just have to ask, do you find Session skins makeup heavy?

Because those I find on the marketplace are fresh faced - as I define fresh faced. The shine is strong, but can be turned off and the lashes is easy to adjust. https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/session-Leah-Tone-00b-Lelutka-EvoX-Fullbody-Skin-HD-BoM-Appliers/23130594

I bought a GENUS head and matching skin from sessions when I went with the body skin from them.  I purchased the most makeup free version I could see on the wall in my skin colour and it did look good ... on the box art.  

When I actually wore it, it looked greasy and slick, the shine was glaring and I couldn't see a way to turn it off.  I turned off materials and turned the shine down to zero on all parts of the head I was able to but it still looked shiny/greasy.  Perhaps I purchased the wrong one, but I don't have the money to constantly buy heads and head skins.  I took a chance and spent about two weeks worth of money on it and it looked awful even after a couple of days with fooling with it.  To be clear by "awful" I mean i couldn't get rid of the shine.  

Another thing about the sessions head skins (I did try a few more demos), is that the faces are all significantly lighter than the body skin, as if the face is wearing foundation.  I have found this before on a lot of skins LAQ included.  The face is lightened up for some reason I've never been able to get.  It just doesn't look real to me. 

I guess I could try Lelutka EvoX but I wasn't very happy with my old Lelutka head and as I said ... money! (lol)

The idea with this post is to get some advice before I flush more cash down the toilet, but thank you, your post was helpful in that regard.  

Edited by Sylvia Wasp

4 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

These days, I wear less makeup than when I had a system avatar. Because the quality of the skins is so good that I do not feel the need for lots of makeup.

Skins are sold free for makeup. My makeup folder is bursting because I buy makeup in all the sales, but I find that I often go for the simple look. It is also possible to adjust the transparency on HD makeup, so you can make it really soft. Skin shine (materials) can be adjusted or turned off.

The lash length is also adjustable, or eyelashes can be turned off. Will you have shorter alternatives to the default lashes, you can buy a male or natural lash applier. It is a free one from Gloom on the Marketplace, and it is really short.

This picture isn't totally new, but I am still using the same eyebrows and the same skin, only updated to the newest version of Lelutka heads. Head is Lake, skin from YS&YS and brows from Simple Bloom. I think the lashes is the most natural included, and length set to shorter than default.

faces_005.jpg

First off, Love the picture! :) This is very close to what I'm talking about although it looks like you've got some lip gloss on perhaps. 

I am certainly surprised at the fact that literally everyone here is saying the *default* is makeup free skins when I have literally never seen that and I've been around SL for decades.  If there are makeup free skins, they certainly aren't displayed in the stores I've been in.  For example at Sessions there are maybe two skins that might fit into the category and all the rest have so much makeup it's not funny.  I understand why and I'm not faulting anyone for picking them but as you say, makeup is everywhere and I'd rather put on my own than buy it baked in.  

All the best selling heads are EXTREMELY focussed on makeup as well in my experience.  Catwa and Lelutka especially have the majority of the HUD devoted to makeup options that I just don't care about.  In RL, I wear a bit of lippy now and then, or gloss, and I wear eye makeup if I'm dressing up and going out, but that's it.  The rest of the time I am makeup free.  

I don't understand why what I'm seeing is so different from everyone else, but I've had the LAQ head for a long time now so I haven't been shopping at YS&S or DeeTailz for a while as they don't make skins for LAQ.  

Edited by Sylvia Wasp

5 hours ago, Tarani Tempest said:

All the skins I use on my mesh heads are sans make up.  A ton of skins are sold as a fresh clean canvas for adding whatever type of make up you want..or not.  In fact, the vast majority of the skins I see these days come that way.   Off the top of my head; The Skinnery , Glam Affair and Deetalez ... just a few Skin store that sell mostly clean faced skins.  There are many more as well. 

I find Glam Affair skins to be very shiny and they are more cartoonish than realistic.  I haven't tried the Skinnery though, thanks for the tip! :) 

• Like 1

I've never used any of the makeup on either the Catwa or Lelutka HUDs as.they don't work with my skin tone.  I do use the option to lower the intensity of most HD lipsticks I do wear.

I took a look at Sessions skins and none in this demo appear to have any makeup on at all.

small1.jpg.dda5c3286932716920fdd1e176e564a8.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MrsSeren said:

DeeTaleZ sells head skins, okay come with make up but it separate add-on so up to you if you want to to wear or not; they cater mostly for Catwa/Catwa HDPro and Lelutka - EvoX or non Evo from what I seen.

Well, a part of my problem is that I am forbidden from buying Catwa anything, lol.  😀

I'm not sure why but it works like a ban, so I guess the owner banned me at some point back but I have literally no idea why and once you're banned you can't even contact them to ask why.  

2 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I've never used any of the makeup on either the Catwa or Lelutka HUDs as.they don't work with my skin tone.  I do use the option to lower the intensity of most HD lipsticks I do wear.

I took a look at Sessions skins and none in this demo appear to have any makeup on at all.

small1.jpg.dda5c3286932716920fdd1e176e564a8.jpg

Those look like the HD Lelutka ones?  They do all look greasy though. as if they've just slathered their faces in moisturiser or are sweaty from a workout.  

I guess it's looking like I should buy a new Lelutka head but I wasn't very happy with Lelutka when I used them before the LAQ.

• Like 1

That greasy look is almost all materials. There are certain skins that will have shine like that built in but those are a minority. I can tell those in that sessions ad are from the lighting with materials. I like makeup free myself most of the time too.

A lot of issues with shiny skins could be attributed to the lighting setting people use in SL juxtaposed with the level of gloss people choose on their HUDs.   A lot of people seem to prefer the youthful, dewy look too. 

For comparison purposes, the first photo is my avatar with Lelutka's Avalon EvoX head and Amara Beauty's Kat skin with NO make-up (ignore the lashes since I have them rather bushy).   Caveat:  Amara Beauty tends to lean heavy into cheek contouring, so I do have Izzie's Blush/Contour remover on in this photo.   Third photo is without the Blush/Contour remover.   I do not have Advanced Lighting Model turned on.  AB skins do not seem to be prone to shininess (I am not a fan of the shiny look).  I have my head HUD settings at zero for glossiness and intensity. 

Second photo is my avi with the same settings with the Session EvoX skin Candy. You are correct that the shine is baked in. It's definitely a make-up free skin, but I'm with you about it looking too shiny for my taste. 

Izzie's has a BOM nose highlight corrector to get rid of the shiny nose, but it's not for EvoX unfortunately. It will work on Evo BOM heads though as I used it with the Nova head before EvoX was released.    Izzie's correctors are pretty affordable at 100L each, and I buy as many of them as I can, especially when she has them out for Fifty Linden Friday. 

Last photo is Glam Affair's Enni skin (fair tone) as it comes out of the box (no Blush/Contour remover). I'm using the shortest lashes in the Lelutka HUD.  There's a tiny bit of shine on the bottom lip, but the rest of the face seems pretty matte to me.  I would consider this a young beach face (albeit maybe a little too perfect?), but your mileage may vary. 

I hope these comparisons help you somewhat. 

meclean.png

meclean2.jpg

session.jpg

enni.jpg

Edited by Lysistrata Szapira
correcting language
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sylvia Wasp said:

Those look like the HD Lelutka ones?  They do all look greasy though. as if they've just slathered their faces in moisturiser or are sweaty from a workout.  

I guess it's looking like I should buy a new Lelutka head but I wasn't very happy with Lelutka when I used them before the LAQ.

Ga*eG makes a good mesh head, but the included animations are a little hit and miss for me. I went on to Catwa, but...

Edited by Charalyne Blackwood

5 hours ago, Sylvia Wasp said:

First off, Love the picture! :) This is very close to what I'm talking about although it looks like you've got some lip gloss on perhaps. 

I am certainly surprised at the fact that literally everyone here is saying the *default* is makeup free skins when I have literally never seen that and I've been around SL for decades.  If there are makeup free skins, they certainly aren't displayed in the stores I've been in.  For example at Sessions there are maybe two skins that might fit into the category and all the rest have so much makeup it's not funny.  I understand why and I'm not faulting anyone for picking them but as you say, makeup is everywhere and I'd rather put on my own than buy it baked in.  

All the best selling heads are EXTREMELY focussed on makeup as well in my experience.  Catwa and Lelutka especially have the majority of the HUD devoted to makeup options that I just don't care about.  In RL, I wear a bit of lippy now and then, or gloss, and I wear eye makeup if I'm dressing up and going out, but that's it.  The rest of the time I am makeup free.  

I don't understand why what I'm seeing is so different from everyone else, but I've had the LAQ head for a long time now so I haven't been shopping at YS&S or DeeTailz for a while as they don't make skins for LAQ.  

Yes, I am wearing lipgloss and I really do not consider lipgloss as makeup in RL. The makeups options can you forget after you have found the shine option and the lashes option and set it as you wish. A head without options for makeup would not sell, you can try to find a head without tabs for makeup if that is what you need. I can suggest 1 L heads from Ca'lum. They have several with different nose shapes. I have no idea if the skin is included. I believe it is not, it looks like an old freebie skin from Pink Fuel. If you buy the head, you can try it with your own skins. https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Lady-Straight-Nose-11-Calum/22563122

1014563195_calum.png.5115a93e4af3ac2cacb957f4a96dc0b9.png

This Christmas and last Christmas Lelutka gave out a free male and female head, but that's not helpful for you now. Lelutka had 50% off the Black Friday sale, Catwa had one or two free female heads, but I do not remember when. One in 2021 and one in 2020 I think. It can be summer sales, Black Friday sales and other sales in the future... If you are not in a hurry to get a head, you can demo, find a brand you prefer and wait, hope for a sale. Sites like FabFree is good to check for sales.

I wish you had known it is a free Genus head in the Genus mainstore. It is not on the Marketplace. This free head has all the features as the paid for skin. I do not use it, but I have found a video394371063_genushud.jpg.6d4b908d1ba866878635bf0e4a74285f.jpg that goes through the HUD and I took a screengrab of the part where the blogger plays with adjustments and has it on 100%. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUry8akHcfE The lighter face than body is quite common among skin creators and the only way to find out is to demo it. A body skin has highlight on parts like the clavicle too, so I am not bothered with some face highlight it unless it is very hard. The Izzie's marketplace has a highlight "fix" that helps with painted on highlights on the skin.

highlight.jpg.ef23b43f48df9ecf5c70d9c0d2b45ddf.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

Nobody makes skins for it. 

They make their own complete skins. BOM skins also work. I have Catwa-specific BOM skins that work. I also have Esode appliers that work on Omega compatible heads, including Ga*eG but did have to buy the Omega relay separately. My Ga*eG head:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/GAEG-Jennifer-22-Bento-Mesh-Head/13216419

No skins?

I took an updated image. The other one had less sharp freckles, I think it was Evo before the update to Evo X.

This is Lelutka Lake 3.1 with YS&YS Alessandra T00 NO brows BoM. With Simple Bloom Evo X ivAutumn neutral eyebrows, the smallest/thinnest default lashes, and freckles from the Lelutka head pack.

I have Preferences Ultra with Advanced Light on. I have turned off skin shine and cleared all makeup slots. The shine and highlight is what I call natural.

close ys&ys_001.jpg

• Like 8

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 800 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.