school on wicca/witchcraft?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 807 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I accidentally ran into a place the other day that practiced Wicca and it got me thinking, but the two places I have found seem like huge commitments and that really intimidates me.

Are there any places where you can just learn? Anyone that teaches classes on it? I'm not entirely sure what you can 'teach' about witchcraft, but my friends and I are new to the craft and looking to learn at our own pace and without a large commitment.

If you don't believe in it, please don't use this thread to voice that opinion. I am just looking.

For any of those who are Wicca/practicing the craft, I truly hope this is not disrespectful saying we aren't looking for a commitment. I'm not sure how to phrase it other than that. I guess by commitment I mean...joining an actual church/coven. Just want to learn.

Myself and my friends do not practice Wicca currently, but mostly just witchcraft.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/17/2022 at 11:02 AM, Rumancekk said:

I accidentally ran into a place the other day that practiced Wicca and it got me thinking, but the two places I have found seem like huge commitments and that really intimidates me.

Are there any places where you can just learn? Anyone that teaches classes on it? I'm not entirely sure what you can 'teach' about witchcraft, but my friends and I are new to the craft and looking to learn at our own pace and without a large commitment.

If you don't believe in it, please don't use this thread to voice that opinion. I am just looking.

For any of those who are Wicca/practicing the craft, I truly hope this is not disrespectful saying we aren't looking for a commitment. I'm not sure how to phrase it other than that. I guess by commitment I mean...joining an actual church/coven. Just want to learn.

Myself and my friends do not practice Wicca currently, but mostly just witchcraft.

I doubt that spiritual sect really exist. if you really want to know about spiritualism , only the asian spirotualism that REAL exist and practice until now.have real legacy, real organization , rwal lineage, real master, and under goverment protection as heritage of cultural religion.

Edited by Kalegthepsionicist
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Kalegthepsionicist said:

I doubt that spiritual sect really exist. if you really want to know about spiritualism , only the asian spirotualism that REAL exist and practice until now.have real legacy, real organization , rwal lineage, real master, and under goverment protection as heritage of cultural religion.

The Celtic religion was started well before Taoism or Buddism.  The Celtic religion and Druid priests believe in the magical and spiritual forces in nature.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

The Celtic religion was started well before Taoism or Buddism.  The Celtic religion and Druid priests believe in the magical and spiritual forces in nature.

Taoism is a generic name for nearly 60  folks oriental religion.  so actually these all exist long before warring state periode. It is become popular by daode jing (book), .

this book mistaken by westernnpeople as spiritual book, actualy its abook about govermentship.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if the ATC is still doing the classes in-world (I used to go for a few years), but here is their SL location: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Sacred Cauldron/196/141/43

Check out their website for information on the theological seminary. At the very least you can still learn remotely and attend their in-world rituals and events.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2022 at 7:02 PM, Rumancekk said:

I think one can easily learn much more about various magical paths from YouTube, but if they're new to such studies they might have a hard time figuring out what would actually be useful for them. Sacred Cauldron has classes in basic Wicca, but they tend to charge RL money, which I find personally distasteful. Magic in the Metaverse has a more diverse selection of paths, and is thus better suited to those who are not especially interested in basic Wicca. I once attended a great series on Hoodoo/conjure and rootwork at Covenstead, but their current sim is much smaller and less active than it used to be. Broom and Brew is a small group that had some great classes in the past, but I don't think they have any current ones. Look up these groups inworld: Artemis's Tavern at Witchfest (mostly a dead group, but they had a good library), Sacred Cauldron,  Magic in the Metaverse, Covenstead and Broom and Brew. Fallen Gods used to have an interesting metaphysical library on one of it's distant islands too. 

If you're really serious, I'd suggest starting with a basic book on Wicca from your local bookstore or library, then look up different paths online or on YouTube. Humans have been practicing magical traditions for at least as long as recorded history, so there are many different ways, rather than just one "correct" way. I believe there are some universal truths within all the various traditions, but in the end, whatever works for you is valid. As a general rule, don't try to do magic that would hurt someone or take away their free will. (I believe there is a place for that sort of thing, but it tends to bite back when you're not experienced.) The beginning steps can be boring, such as reading books, meditating, and practicing visualization. I view using magic as mostly being about focusing one's mind to try to attain some end. Also, watch out for people who might seem dodgy or cultish.

• Like 2

meditating is not related with witchcraft.

if we talk about supranatural way

there are two types

first we can call it witchcraft, its a set of ritual perform , the source power comes from outside world. it means the supranarural power is from other sources, outside of the man itself, you become the avatar of other entities to do such magical stuff.

the other way we can call it,

inner self enlightment, its the ability of will power to manipulate reality. it can be reach with extreme meditation and discipline way of life to live like a saint. thenpower comes within tourself there are no limit, at one point you can be one of the entity of the cosmic (God)

• Haha 1

Well, there are different kinds of meditation, though Big Mindfulness seems to have kind of taken over the conversation. 😄 You don't have to aspire to monkhood to get benefits from some kind of meditation practice; being able to focus your mind will help with witchcraft too. And I used to get a lot of value out of guided visualizations when I was doing them.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Kalegthepsionicist said:

meditating is not related with witchcraft.

if we talk about supranatural way

there are two types

first we can call it witchcraft, its a set of ritual perform , the source power comes from outside world. it means the supranarural power is from other sources, outside of the man itself, you become the avatar of other entities to do such magical stuff.

the other way we can call it,

inner self enlightment, its the ability of will power to manipulate reality. it can be reach with extreme meditation and discipline way of life to live like a saint. thenpower comes within tourself there are no limit, at one point you can be one of the entity of the cosmic (God)

1. Meditation is a preliminary step to teach awareness of energies we don't usually notice and to learn visualization. Not all witches meditate, but it can be helpful. 

2. Not all witchcraft employs rituals. "High Magic" does. So called, "Low Magic" is just as likely to involve simple acts that may seem like superstition, but which have symbolic meaning. Magic can also be used in workings that are purely mental, involving no outward signs or rituals.

3. The power used to charge a spell can come from different sources. It can come from the Universe, from plants or stones, from deities or other spirits, or from the caster themself. When a magic practitioner only draws from their own energy reserves, they tend to feel tired more easily.

4. Willpower or Will can be employed in different ways. On the most mundane level it's positive thinking and focusing on what one wants in life. One's will can also be used to focus what we could call "magical power", so that what one envisions is made more likely to happen. This can be viewed as giving "fate" a push in the direction one wishes it to take, influencing another person thoughts and behaviors, or influencing one's own thoughts and behaviors.

5. Enlightenment and striving to be one with Deity is fine, but probably most people who identify as witches use magic for more mundane needs and desires. This may be for getting money, health, love, or protection for themself or others, but also can be employed in all kinds of goals. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Persephone Emeraldwell I agree with what you said , except for number 2.

simple act like superstition is not part of the witchcraft. it is do just as symbolizing for something,  while in eastern,  symbolizing is the cultural custom by common people, .(not practitioner of the witchcraft)

9 hours ago, BookishMelinoe said:

Well, there are different kinds of meditation, though Big Mindfulness seems to have kind of taken over the conversation. 😄 You don't have to aspire to monkhood to get benefits from some kind of meditation practice; being able to focus your mind will help with witchcraft too. And I used to get a lot of value out of guided visualizations when I was doing them.

well I am raised in buddhist family . and meditation is not about mindfulness balblabla. that is western understanding. . I am an asian . and yes I do meditation.

there are a set of chant and there are breathing tehnique in meditation. 

there are a big difference between sitting relax and  the realmeditation.

while the the real meditation you can feel hours pass like in a minute.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Kalegthepsionicist said:

@Persephone Emeraldwell I agree with what you said , except for number 2.

simple act like superstition is not part of the witchcraft. it is do just as symbolizing for something,  while in eastern,  symbolizing is the cultural custom .

Let me give an example from a quick Google search for a spell

...If someone is talking about you behind your back and spreading malicious lies and rumors, there are a number of ways to put a stop to it. This one is based on a spell found in Scottish folk magic, and works on the notion of “binding the tongue.”

What You'll Need

• A cow tongue, available at most grocery store deli counters
  • A knife
  • A piece of paper
  • A pen
  • Sturdy twine

Steps To Take

Use the knife to cut a slit in down the center of the cow tongue. Write the person’s name on the piece of paper, and stick it into the opening you’ve made. Wrap the twine around the tongue tightly, binding it shut. If you wish, you may want to include an incantation, such as:

“Out of sight, out of mind,
Your wicked talk I now bind.
Your words go far away from me,
As I will, so it shall be.”

Take the tongue someplace far away, dig a hole, and bury it.

- Does this set of instructions describe a ritual, a superstition or a symbolic act?  Your answer may vary depending on your perspective. 

I think there is obvious symbolism involved in equating the cow's tongue with the tongue of the person who's been gossiping. This kind of symbolic spell is said to involve *sympathetic magic*, because the act of burying the cow's tongue (the symbolic, sympathetic object) is thought to affect the tongue of the person who's been gossiping. It isn't intended to affect any cows or all gossips in the world, so the focused element of who it's intended to affect comes from the mental focus of the caster. 

It doesn't involve any kind of High Magic ritual, but I guess writing the person's name on a piece of paper, putting it inside a cow's tongue, reciting a little rhyme, and then burying the tongue in a hole somewhere could be considered a ritual. On the other hand, for someone who doesn't believe in magic, they could just as confidently say that doing something like this is pure superstition, especially because it's part of a folk tradition. 

As to whether doing these things would have the desired affect on the intended gossip or not, one would have to try it and then gauge the result for themself.

Edited by Persephone Emerald

7 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Let me give an example from a quick Google search for a spell

...If someone is talking about you behind your back and spreading malicious lies and rumors, there are a number of ways to put a stop to it. This one is based on a spell found in Scottish folk magic, and works on the notion of “binding the tongue.”

What You'll Need

• A cow tongue, available at most grocery store deli counters
  • A knife
  • A piece of paper
  • A pen
  • Sturdy twine

Steps To Take

Use the knife to cut a slit in down the center of the cow tongue. Write the person’s name on the piece of paper, and stick it into the opening you’ve made. Wrap the twine around the tongue tightly, binding it shut. If you wish, you may want to include an incantation, such as:

“Out of sight, out of mind,
Your wicked talk I now bind.
Your words go far away from me,
As I will, so it shall be.”

Take the tongue someplace far away, dig a hole, and bury it.

- Does this set of instructions describe a ritual, a superstition or a symbolic act?  Your answer may vary depending on your perspective. 

I think there is obvious symbolism involved in equating the cow's tongue with the tongue of the person who's been gossiping. This kind of symbolic spell is said to involve *sympathetic magic*, because the act of burying the cow's tongue (the symbolic, sympathetic object) is thought to affect the tongue of the person who's been gossiping. It isn't intended to affect any cows or all gossips in the world, so the focused element of who it's intended to affect comes from the mental focus of the caster. 

It doesn't involve any kind of High Magic ritual, but I guess writing the person's name on a piece of paper, putting it inside a cow's tongue, reciting a little rhyme, and then burying the tongue in a hole somewhere could be considered a ritual. On the other hand, for someone who doesn't believe in magic, they could just as confidently say that doing something like this is pure superstition, especially because it's part of a folk tradition. 

As to whether doing these things would have the desired affect on the intended gossip or not, one would have to try it and then gauge the result for themself.

idk what kind stuff isbthat. but in eastern. a witchcraft practitioner will follow one deity.  it can be holy or demon.

and before they do ritual, they will do pray to the deity.

so its not simple like taking someting and mix it. they nees tobe devotee to the things (entities,gods, demon ..etc)  to be able todo witchcraft. that what happen in east.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kalegthepsionicist said:

idk what kind stuff isbthat. but in eastern. a witchcraft practitioner will follow one deity.  it can be holy or demon.

and before they do ritual, they will do pray to the deity.

so its not simple like taking someting and mix it. they nees tobe devotee to the things (entities,gods, demon ..etc)  to be able todo witchcraft. that what happen in east.

That is a valid perspective.

Yet similar practices exist all over the world, and don't always involve the evocation of a deity, demon, or any kind of spirit. From a modern Western perspective, some people who identify as witches do evoke deities in their workings, but many do not. If one evokes a deity with prayer before casting a spell, this may be for protection from potentially harmful forces, to help gather and direct magical energy, or both. In modern Western magical practices one does not need to devote themself to solely one deity. They may work with a particular pantheon, with a particular patron/ matron diety, or with whichever deity or spirit suits their interest and personal calling. Some people who practice magic may identify as aetheist, agnostic or practice a kind of Chaos magic in which the belief of the caster is thought to help create the spirit which they then evoke and use to direct the spell.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

That is a valid perspective.

Yet similar practices exist all over the world, and don't always involve the evocation of a deity, demon, or any kind of spirit. From a modern Western perspective, some people who identify as witches do evoke deities in their workings, but many do not. If one evokes a deity with prayer before casting a spell, this may be for protection from potentially harmful forces, to help gather and direct magical energy, or both. In modern Western magical practices one does not need to devote themself to solely one deity. They may work with a particular pantheon, with a particular patron/ matron diety, or with whichever deity or spirit suits their interest and personal calling. Some people who practice magic may identify as aetheist, agnostic or practice a kind of Chaos magic in which the belief of the caster is thought to help create the spirit which they then evoke and use to direct the spell.

yeah, actually all is that not really exist. personally I dont believe it, but I know the culture in east

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 807 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.