Getting OpenJPEG 2+ to work?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 829 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been fiddling with compiling the official viewer, and it seems OpenJPEG 1.5 is broken in the latest build. I've looked around and found Kitty Barnett's patch in Catznip for v2.3, which sorta works, but I've noticed when textures aren't fully loaded, they appear corrupted looking.

image.thumb.png.40794f75947d312123707305e8908020.png

I've noticed that Firestorm is using v2.4 for OS builds, and I can't figure out what they did to make it fully work.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

OpenJPEG v1.5 and newer got totally crippled for SL usage purposes. The JPEG2000 level of details plain does not work with those versions (they can only decode textures successfully at full LOD), and JPEG2000 encoding is also bogus with them.

That's why I kept OpenJPEG v1.4.0.635, fixed/improved with many patches, either backported from newer versions for security fixes, or created by me (and recently from Kathrine Jansma  for an AVX2 optimization) for the Cool VL Viewer (the patched version has been made part of my viewer sources for these reasons)...

However, please be aware that the ”rainbow textures” you are experiencing may also be the result of bugs in libcurl's HTTP pipelining code (the only 100% working and safe version of libcurl with regard to pipelining is v7.47 with LL's patches, as used by default in my viewer)...

Edited by Henri Beauchamp
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Henri Beauchamp said:

OpenJPEG v1.5 and newer got totally crippled for SL usage purposes. The JPEG2000 level of details plain does not work with those versions (they can only decode textures successfully at full LOD), and JPEG2000 encoding is also bogus with them.

That's why I kept OpenJPEG v1.4.0.635, fixed/improved with many patches, either backported from newer versions for security fixes, or created by me (and recently from Kathrine Jansma  for an AVX2 optimization) for the Cool VL Viewer (the patched version has been made part of my viewer sources for these reasons)...

However, please be aware that the ”rainbow textures” you are experiencing may also be the result of bugs in libcurl's HTTP pipelining code (the only 100% working and safe version of libcurl with regard to pipelining is v7.47 with LL's patches, as used by default in my viewer)...

Mind if I snag your version of it?

Not sure what OpenJPEG version or package you used, but 1.5 and the newer 2.x versions until now don't support partial decodes, hence textures will be broken. There is a years-old pull request on the OpenJPEG repository to add partial decode support, so if you try to build an OpenJPEG package yourself, you will have to include the changes from the pull request.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 829 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.