question about reporting someone for stealing lindens

Sara Lukas

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 823 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

i recently reported my last landlord for stealing around L$65.5K from me.

I was paying what i thought was tier for my land, but it turns out that my 'landlord' was subletting the sim to me and pocketing the money himself, not actually paying the tier. apparently i am not the only person he did this to, i know of at least 2 others it happened to as well.

while i accept that i have lost these lindens, what are the chances that LL will actually do anything about this?  it REALLY annoys me that this person has got away with this and i feel that this person should have his account banned or something.

Will they even tell me what is the outcome of this?

12 answers to this question

No, they won't.  They will use your report as the trigger for their investigation and will consider whatever information you provided. Your involvement beyond that is zero.  You'll get a pro forma acknowledgment of your report but nothing else. It's now a matter between LL and the other person.  If there is some sort of financial recovery you'll see that, of course, but not as part of a report about what happened to the other person.

• Like 2

Tier (land use fee) is always paid to LL directly.  Rent on a parcel is paid to a landlord who then pays LL, if they are the owner of the land, the land use fee.

ETA.  If the land is on a private estate not mainland, you are paying rent to the landlord.

Edited by Rowan Amore

Private estate regions are always "sublet" unless you bought the region yourself from LL and you are paying LL directly each month in USD.   Mainland parcels are also always "sublet" unless you bought the parcel and your account is being charged monthly land tier that includes the square meters for that mainland parcel.

If your landlord got behind on paying LL for the region, it may not necessarily have been to cheat you or steal your linden dollars.  There may have been RL circumstances where they were unable to turn around and pay LL even after converting the linden dollars to USD.   Although you don't mention any timeline details in regards to the time period you paid for and when you were denied access to the region, you wouldn't know when the region fee was due, either, so it's hard to know if the landlord "got away" with it - it's very possible that they may have a past due amount on the books with LL that they still need to be pay.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Sara Lukas said:

I was paying what i thought was tier for my land, but it turns out that my 'landlord' was subletting the sim to me and pocketing the money himself, not actually paying the tier. apparently i am not the only person he did this to, i know of at least 2 others it happened to as well.

while i accept that i have lost these lindens, what are the chances that LL will actually do anything about this?  it REALLY annoys me that this person has got away with this and i feel that this person should have his account banned or something.

Tell them to give you a refund and if they don't then file a report but don't expect much to happen.

Next time DO NOT pay per month, always pay per week so in case of fraud or whatever at least you will minimize your loss.

6 hours ago, Sara Lukas said:

I'm a bit confused on this. Was the 65.5k paid over a period of time where you had access to the land and when the landlord didn't pay his tier and pocketed the money were you then kicked off the land? Or did you pay up front  65.5k and not have use of the land at all.  If it's the former then you didn't lose anything because you paid rent and had use of the land no matter who was paying for it. If you paid up front and didn't get to use the land at all then you could try an AR but I doubt they would do anything. If they didn't pay their tier it's not like LL can make them pay you back. 

Edited by Sam1 Bellisserian
  • Like 1

ok, basically, i know i was the idiot for paying so far in advance, i just wanted to get it paid up as i had a bit of spare cash, so i wanted to pay a few months in advance so i didnt have to worry about tier for a few months.

i know that im not actually paying LL when paying for a private sim, but i thought i was paying the person that was renting from LL, it turns out i was paying someone that was renting a couple of sims from a company that was renting out private sims... so he was subletting to me while renting from a real estate company that was renting from LL  (if that makes sense)

on 27 dec, i had a message from one of the estate owners warning me i only had 10 hours left on my tier, but according to the tier box on my sim (which i had been paying) i had 97 days left.

to cut a long story short, the landlord i thought i was renting from (who had told me he was a partner with the rental team) had apparently been pocketing the tier i had been paying to the tier box on my sim, (which i thought was the one and only tier box) and not paying the proper tier box that was paying the main rental company.

they contacted me in advance of my tier running out because according to them, this had just recently happened with another person that was renting from him and they had already lost their land because of him.  FYI, at least one other person i know of has lost their land since i lost mine for the same reason as well as me and the person before me.

i contacted my 'landlord' on facebook and he come out with a load of crap that i didnt quite follow (lots of holes in his story), but he basically admitted he hadn't been paying the tier and even refunded me 10k lindens of the 65.5k lindens he took, claiming he would refund the rest in a few days. (he didn't refund it and is now refusing to, saying he doesn't have to and that he didn't take it)  i mean, why refund the 10k and offer to repay the rest in a few days, if you didn't take it in the first place???

i KNOW i'm not going to see these lindens again, i have accepted that.... i just want to know what the chances are of some kind of 'punishment' for him?

i filed an AR as soon as i knew this happened (27th dec) i just wondered what happens now? i didn't know if they let me know the outcome or whatever?

just really annoys me that he is getting away with it.

Edited by Sara Lukas

That really stinks. If you lay out that full story (or put a link to this post in your AR), LL will have information to start an investigation. There's no way to tell what they will be able to do with it or what the outcome might be.  Unless you actually see L$ return to your account, you'll never know. Once you submit the AR, it's between LL and the "landlord".  You'll never know what sort of punishment he got. 

9 minutes ago, Sara Lukas said:

ok, basically, i know i was the idiot for paying so far in advance, i just wanted to get it paid up as i had a bit of spare cash, so i wanted to pay a few months in advance so i didnt have to worry about tier for a few months.

i know that im not actually paying LL when paying for a private sim, but i thought i was paying the person that was renting from LL, it turns out i was paying someone that was renting a couple of sims from a company that was renting out private sims... so he was subletting to me while renting from a real estate company that was renting from LL  (if that makes sense)

on 27 dec, i had a message from one of the estate owners warning me i only had 10 hours left on my tier, but according to the tier box on my sim (which i had been paying) i had 97 days left.

to cut a long story short, the landlord i thought i was renting from (who had told me he was a partner with the rental team) had apparently been pocketing the tier i had been paying to the tier box on my sim, (which i thought was the one and only tier box) and not paying the proper tier box that was paying the main rental company.

they contacted me in advance of my tier running out because according to them, this had just recently happened with another person that was renting from him and they had already lost their land because of him.  FYI, at least one other person i know of has lost their land since i lost mine for the same reason as well as me and the person before me.

i contacted my 'landlord' on facebook and he come out with a load of crap that i didnt quite follow (lots of holes in his story), but he basically admitted he hadn't been paying the tier and even refunded me 10k lindens of the 65.5k lindens he took, claiming he would refund the rest in a few days. (he didn't refund it and is now refusing to, saying he doesn't have to and that he didn't take it)  i mean, why refund the 10k and offer to repay the rest in a few days, if you didn't take it in the first place???

i KNOW i'm not going to see these lindens again, i have accepted that.... i just want to know what the chances are of some kind of 'punishment' for him?

i filed an AR as soon as i knew this happened (27th dec) i just wondered what happens now? i didn't know if they let me know the outcome or whatever?

just really annoys me that he is getting away with it.

LL will not contact you regarding the outcome of an AR.  Even if he is disciplined, you more than likely will not get your money back.  

Along with what was mentioned about not paying to far in advance, renting from a well established real estate company is important.  

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, sandi Mexicola said:

My understanding (based on hearing from others) is that LL generally does not get involved in monetary disputes between residents.  😔

No they don’t but iirc will investigate outright fraud, esp when it involves a large sum. Could be mistaken.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 823 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.