Advanced Lighting Model Disabled

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 832 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello 👋

I'm brand new to SL photography and I'm actually following a tutorial right now. Just trying to figure out why "Enable Advanced Lighting Model" is grayed out in Preferences and Phototools. Is it because my graphics card is too weak? If so, I understand, just need to know that's the reason why.

Using Firestorm 6.4.21 (64531) 64 bit / Radeon RX 580 graphics card

image.png.3e201bb29ab3a311e4947cf9ae6c0d0e.png

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ArtsyTribalist said:

Hello 👋

I'm brand new to SL photography and I'm actually following a tutorial right now. Just trying to figure out why "Enable Advanced Lighting Model" is grayed out in Preferences and Phototools. Is it because my graphics card is too weak? If so, I understand, just need to know that's the reason why.

Using Firestorm 6.4.21 (64531) 64 bit / Radeon RX 580 graphics card

image.png.3e201bb29ab3a311e4947cf9ae6c0d0e.png

That's the card I have. For photos, I run an altered version of ultra. Lowered my view distance and reduced particles. Typically I'm indoors and all by myself so I don't need a lot of the extras in ultra mode. Most, if not all, of the checkboxes are available in ultra mode.

18 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I believe you need to have the other shaders checked first, IIRC.  Or at least some of them.

It was that simple! 🙃 Jeez. I could've sworn I tried that but I think I unchecked them to look at something else and forgot.

Thank you.

9 minutes ago, Charalyne Blackwood said:

That's the card I have. For photos, I run an altered version of ultra. Lowered my view distance and reduced particles. Typically I'm indoors and all by myself so I don't need a lot of the extras in ultra mode. Most, if not all, of the checkboxes are available in ultra mode.

Thanks! I will try that out as well once I'm done with this.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ArtsyTribalist said:

It was that simple! 🙃 Jeez. I could've sworn I tried that but I think I unchecked them to look at something else and forgot.

Thank you.

Thanks! I will try that out as well once I'm done with this.

There's also a choice on water that if you turn down, will improve performance.

I've made several graphic presets which are handy.  One that's for busy places with most settings lowered and another for picture taking.

11 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

There's also a choice on water that if you turn down, will improve performance.

I've made several graphic presets which are handy.  One that's for busy places with most settings lowered and another for picture taking.

Ok, noted!

By any chance, would you also know how to access this window? The tutorial I'm following is from 2017 so maybe that's not available anymore. The only similar thing I see is "Environments" from the Toolbar Buttons menu.

image.png.025710f9507ba8b479b1b4b02965c583.png

5 minutes ago, ArtsyTribalist said:

Ok, noted!

By any chance, would you also know how to access this window? The tutorial I'm following is from 2017 so maybe that's not available anymore. The only similar thing I see is "Environments" from the Toolbar Buttons menu.

image.png.025710f9507ba8b479b1b4b02965c583.png

I'm not logged in at the moment but...top menu. World/Environments..My Enviroment...Personal Lighting

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 832 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.