Deploy Plan for the Week 2022-01-17

Caleb Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 814 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

@Solar Legion so typical of the American attitude of  "they can do as they please"...yes they can, and we can complain as we please too.  Over the years since 2008 I have spent over 30,00$US on SL and I think that gives me some right to complain when they repeatedly **** up.  "Unacceptable"...it's not as if we have much choice, but we don't have to like it!

The current SL is very flawed and has far too many hiccups.  In this day and age and with the level of technical ability that LL are supposed to possess, it is a very poor performance in some respects.

Edited by Aishagain
  • Haha 2

Nothing whatsoever to do with an "American" attitude.

It's called reality.

Complain if you wish, don't expect everyone to agree with the complaints. Expect at least one person to eventually pop in somewhere to make a statement.

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No Solar it isn't, it's called poor performance, or failure for short.

I use SL for my entertainment because my RL is severely restricted, so when I cannot access most of it I get cranky, my problem.

Edited by Aishagain
Riposte
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Aishagain said:

No Solar it isn't, it's called poor performance, or failure for short

That's nice.

No, it isn't.

"Poor performance" is having this be the literal norm - having it happen every single time, without fail. That is poor performance. a "failure" is when the system completely refuses to operate - often for an extended period of time (hint, longer than a few hours - usually a day or longer).

Your mileage may (and obviously does) vary. I choose instead to stick to realistic expectations.

ETA: 

I use SL for my entertainment because my RL is severely restricted, so when I cannot access most of it I get cranky, my problem.

You're not the only one that uses Second Life as such and frankly not the only one that gets a bit irked when this sort of thing happens.

The difference here is in how it is expressed.

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 2

• Lindens

Hi! We're having a less than awesome Grid roll day, you seem to have noticed. /me ducks.

We're not going to go into much detail while we're still picking up the pieces, but we'll do our best to share as much as possible once we've recovered and can put together a postmortem for this outage. 

thanks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 9

Arguing about what just to call the Tuesday roll-out feels like pointless hair-splitting.

Here we are, Wednesday morning, with the automatic Status announcements warning of restarts on the RC Channel, and nothing else. I don't expect anything like a full explanation of what went wrong, not yet. There is a sustained pattern of poor communication by the Lindens, and there was a period when it was plausible that no restarts would happen. There was no new server code waiting on the RC channel, everything had been restarted the week before, and the Lindens hadn't bothered to say anything by the end of their previous working day.

Living where I do, with the timezone difference, can exacerbate the problem of silence.

That's where I would point to poor performance, a repeated pattern. They have a saying in Chicago: "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

So what is going to happen today? Can we trust the automated warnings on Status? Is it a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing?

• Like 2

@Grumpity Lindenso you are still picking up the pieces, I assume?

Let's hope there are no more breakages today.

I have to say that an operation that cannot notice that they are

1) double posting on their own status page and

2) seemingly unable to differentiate between PDT and PDT

is seriously underperforming. 

Why would anyone be surprised at ANY operational breakages.

ETA at roughly 10:30am PST 25/01/2022:  Guess what....login servers are giving issues, inworld group member lists are not loading...oh and Linden Dollar purchasing is down (I bet that gets fixed quickly).

FETA an hour later:  all issues seem to have been sorted.  Thankyou LL engineers

Edited by Aishagain

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 814 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.