Deploy Plan for the Week 2022-01-17

Caleb Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 811 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

Second Life Server

The main channel will roll to the version that it was on Second Life RC the previous week.

https://releasenotes.secondlife.com/simulator/2022-01-06.567269.html

Tuesday 2022-01-18 06:00-11:00 PST

Second Life RC:

All of the RC regions will be bounced and remain on the same version as the previous week.

https://releasenotes.secondlife.com/simulator/2022-01-06.567269.html

Wednesday 2022-01-19 07:00-09:30 PST

On Region Restarts:

Given that rolling restarts are happening grid-wide, no simulators with >10 day uptime are anticipated to exist after the rolling restarts.

• Thanks 8

So all regions will be running the same config and server code, and will have restarted Tuesday/Wednesday. Which is a solid starting point for 2022. But I have lost track of the situation about the auto-restart code that applies the 10-day rule. It was being very unreliable. The long run over Christmas and New Year suggests that the 10-day limit is a lot less significant (practically, 10 days is an effective 2-week cycle, catching regions that have had manual restarts requested.)

@Linden LabUnfortunately, it looks as though today's Roll to Main Server regions will promote the bug with names that has been widely experienced on RC channel regions referred to in this JIRA:

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-231680

Edited by Aishagain
Grammar correction

8 hours ago, Aishagain said:

@Linden LabUnfortunately, it looks as though today's Roll to Main Server regions will promote the bug with names that has been widely experienced on RC channel regions referred to in this JIRA:

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-231680

The bug has been present on the Main Server Channel too, since its last maintenance. I've been experiencing it in Nuggy once in a while.

[EDIT] Or... maybe not. @Aishagain I jumped into that conclusion without giving it all much thought, really. Thinking about it better, maybe the bug wasn't affecting me in Nuggy, it was present in the regions where my contacts showing as (???) (???) were, instead.

Edited by MBeatrix
corrections & a different approach
  • Thanks 1

And this is hardly a surprise...looks like LL just went ahead and promoted the bug.  Way to go LL.

ETA after the region rolled at 10am SLT: Well it seems the bug is not affecting my main account, after 2 logins no "???.???" yet my original account sees 3 offline friends as "???.???".  all online friends appear as normal and the ones that are offline ARE offline so I guess I am the lucky one.  Script run for my region is now as promised at100%!

Edited by Aishagain
spelling
  • Sad 1

The bug might be viewer-dependent, I've not seen it at all in Singularity, I've seen it several times in both Catznip and the LL performance improvement viewer.

Both the mainland region on the main server channel I'm watching for the user-region monitoring study came back from the restart with Scripts run up at 97% and 95 %, a great improvement over the 22% and 73% before the restart.

I shall run the monitoring study for one further week before compiling the results so that there is a before and after view of the configuration change.

• Thanks 1

Curious if anyone else is also experiencing another bug after the restarts… 

Some objects appear missing but they’re just invisible and can’t be selected, but it’s possible to bump into them. Re-logging doesn’t resolve the issue, it just makes more things go invisible. 

More info here: https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-231665

Anyone else experiencing this? I’m on the default viewer. I haven’t tested this with any TPV’s yet.

Edited by davidventer
Added more detail

2 hours ago, davidventer said:

Some objects appear missing but they’re just invisible and can’t be selected, but it’s possible to bump into them. Re-logging doesn’t resolve the issue, it just makes more things go invisible. 

See This thread in the viewer forum - it's been around for a while now.

The only way of telling if a region is on an RC Channel is if it restarts on a Wednesday, of if the RC Channels are on a different server version. Since they are now on the same server version, we're left in the dark.

I was sure, from past restarts, that my Home Region was on an RC Channel, but it restarted on Tuesday.

The plan is described as "All of the RC regions will be bounced and remain on the same version as the previous week." That's a phrasing I have never seen before.

Inara Pey, in the Modemworld Blog reports on the SUG meeting, where it was confirmed that there would be nothing happening on Wednesday.

The Status page announcement of Rolling Restarts for RC Channels is still current at the time of writing.

That inestimable vulpine gentleman, William Tare Fox, recommends that I do not trust any news coming out of Linden Lab.

On 1/14/2022 at 7:28 PM, Caleb Linden said:

All of the RC regions will be bounced

I'm intrigued by this concept.  Are the sim-servers now made of rubber that they can be bounced and if so, how high do they bounce?  I must assume that all assets are equally "bounce-proof".😝

1: It does look as though my home region has been switched from RC Channel to Main Channel

2: A different RC Channel region I know of did restart this morning.

3: There have been other signs of an outbreak of restarts, such as a concurrency drop over the right timewindow.

If the promised/threatened new version is put up on the RC Channels next week, we will be able to tell the difference, using the server version number. I am not inclined to trust any announcements that may be made.

The results for the main channel roll are looking very promising.

A mainland parcel that up until Tuesday would lose 120 - 180 seconds over a 10 hour period with 17+ avatars present in the region is now showing just 2 seconds drift with 27 avatars present. (The test is a 1-second timer comparing an incrementing seconds counter to the wallclock figure).

Script run percent is 98 to 99% in every region.  Speed still varies by a lot depending on the number of script events in a region,  but it looks like they run a lot more consistently.  There's spare time in regions that never had spare time before.  It's really incredible.

• Like 1

"Spare script time"  in statistics and "Top scripts"  in region Debug are now totally different !    Has no one noticed ???   Since the  Jan 17 2022 main ch roll  script  times are now  1/3  to 1/4 of  their normal value. in  both statistics and  Region debug top scripts. The Lindens  have not  mentioned  this at all.  Whats going on please?

I think this was hinted at by several of them when discussing the "configuration changes" the updates would be introducing. It's shown up on all the parcels I am monitoring currently, arriving on the RC channel first, followed by a mainland main channel, and then on Tuesday both of the mainland main channels sow it. The most significant change I have observed not obvious in the stats is that avatars entering, leaving, or remaining in a region no longer give such a hit to the region. I doubt the Lindens will release specific details of what they have done but it looks to me as if they have finally managed to fix the mono-arrival issue when avatars with aggressive AOs and other scripted attachments arrive or leave.

2 hours ago, Aishagain said:

@Lucia Nightfireat the risk of proving myself blind (again) where is the video and where is the post in which you point to it?

There is no video. I incorrectly thought a Linden said there was going to be a blog post about the specifics of the changes made to help script performance, when they really meant a blog post on the 2022 roadmap.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 811 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.