Strange Tech Issues

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 804 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok so I was hoping to get some simple answers or fixes for strange issues.  When walking around our homes we get stuck in a room and cannot leave it or I cannot walk up the stairs.  Anyone else have this issue and how did you fix it.  My partner has tried deleting the house and rerezzing a few times but it keeps recurring.  My second issue is that I have stopped receiving my group notices in my email.  I have checked all my folders and they do not appear there.  I have tried clearing my cache but the only notices I receive are the ones that appear in local chat.  Any help would be appreciated.

This sounds like your house's physics shape has been set to "CONVEX HULL" rather than "PRIM". This causes the physics engine to remove any indentations in objects, as if they'd been covered in shrink-wrap. Doors, windows, floor openings and the like will all become solid. If you've been noodling with physics shape to reduce LI, I favor this explanation.

• Like 3

• Moles
1 hour ago, CookieCrisp1971 said:

Ok so I was hoping to get some simple answers or fixes for strange issues.  When walking around our homes we get stuck in a room and cannot leave it or I cannot walk up the stairs.  Anyone else have this issue and how did you fix it.  My partner has tried deleting the house and rerezzing a few times but it keeps recurring.  My second issue is that I have stopped receiving my group notices in my email.  I have checked all my folders and they do not appear there.  I have tried clearing my cache but the only notices I receive are the ones that appear in local chat.  Any help would be appreciated.

Can't help with the group notices issue, but if it's a Linden Home, then 

• Please make sure you and your partner are standing outside -- actually off the parcel, near the house controller, is safest -- when you rez the house, and don't try to enter or interact with it for 30 seconds after it rezzes.    There's some weird bug that no one understands which can often cause the house physics to go wrong otherwise.

• If that doesn't fix it, drag the whole contents of the house up in the air, well above the roof, before rezzing a new house.   Then go inside (after it's had 30 seconds or so to settle down, obviously) and walk around.   If you can, then that means one of your objects has a strange physics shape, so return them to their original position one by one (CTRL - Z helps here) to try to identify the culprit.    It's often something really odd -- an object in a different room that you wouldn't suspect could be blocking anything.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I wasn't aware of the physics bug Quartz brings up, but as Maddy says, an object with physics type Convex Hull can exhibit this sort of behavior, blocking off door and window openings, etc.

It happens with objects that have had holes punched in them, typically with the Hollow setting, found in the Edit window. If your house creator has used Convex Hull on hollowed out prims (generally to reduce Land Impact), you can run into this. If the house has this problem, AND is Modifiable, you can fix it by changing the physics type from Convex Hull to either Prim or None. Physics type Prim will give you normal behavior, but will increase the land impact of the house. Physics type None won't increase the land impact, but will turn the house phantom, so you might find yourself walking through the walls.

If the house isn't modifiable, contact the creator and ask them to fix the problem with an update.

• Moles
5 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I wasn't aware of the physics bug Quartz brings up, but as Maddy says, an object with physics type Convex Hull can exhibit this sort of behavior, blocking off door and window openings, etc.

It's only really an issue with Linden Homes, I think, because it seems to go away the first time someone who can modify the object interacts with the build, which would normally be the owner, and even if the owner doesn't have mod rights, the delays inherent in using a faux rezzer give house components enough time to rez properly and allow the issue to cure itself (if they have it in the first place).   

Fortunately, it's very easily remedied -- just go off the parcel, stand next to the house controller, rez a new version of the house, and give it 30 seconds or so to settle itself down before entering.

Rezzing a new Linden Home fixes most things that might go wrong with them, though if you've used Dyna's HUD to apply a custom colour scheme, you need to make a note of it, because that isn't preserved, though the new house will remember the decorating choices you've made using the menu.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 804 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.