Philip Rosedale is back as "Strategic Advisor"

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 788 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hmm a heavy focus on the social. They always say that. I am very happy that Phillip is back but I would have liked to see him talking about the technical improvements also. Its always social, photography, blogging etc etc. We need a new focus on improving native building,  new scripting functions, fixing old functions, or even better yet LSL 2.0, better animation tools and features etc etc.

• Like 2

Rosedale runs in.... holds a mouse to Big Z's VR equipped forehead....

(Rosedale): "On yer knees Zucker!"
 (Big Z): "ummm" Kneels very quickly 😔
                "Yes Sir,"
                "No Sir,"
                "3 bagz full Sir"
                "How high Sir?"
                 "You want Fries with that Sir?"
😆🤣😂☺️

7 hours ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

Hmm a heavy focus on the social. They always say that. I am very happy that Phillip is back but I would have liked to see him talking about the technical improvements also.

That was the standard Rosedale interview. Nothing new there. Mostly looking back, not forward.

Here's another recent Rosedale interview. (Skip the first 3:30; it's all ads). Bill Gurley is on this one, too. This predates Rosedale coming back to LL. This is a much more valuable talk. The two of them go into what works and what doesn't. Notes:

• There's a conflict between graphics quality and the ability to build by ordinary users.
  • Avatar based worlds only appeal to a certain fraction of the adult population, those who are willing to give up their real-world identity to take on another one.
  • The metaverse might be Discord with spatial audio.
  • People need a public place they can get together to decide what to do next, together.
  • In a game, the character is a prop, and it doesn't affect the gameplay, but in an virtual world we have to get past the uncanny valley.
  • "If graphics quality mattered Second Life would have crushed everybody".
  • Games have "quicker dopamine stuff" than a virtual world.
  • Cryptocurrency is the price of distrust, and that price is not low. Too high for a virtual world.
  • Voice does not work socially with latency above 0.2 second.
Edited by animats
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, animats said:

"If graphics quality mattered Second Life would have crushed everybody".

I think there is a lot to be said about this.
I believe that SL implements different levels of graphic quality that coexist harmoniously. Perhaps this seems to me to be a strength of SL that I think cannot be found in other metaverses.
It is as if SL had several graphics engines that coexist together giving it a particular and fascinating style.
Without a shadow of a doubt it is one of its peculiarities that allowed it to survive unlike other metaverses.

5 hours ago, animats said:

Avatar based worlds only appeal to a certain fraction of the adult population, those who are willing to give up their real-world identity to take on another one.

Nope. Not buying this one. I know better. I haven't given up my real-world identity. I am still me no matter what name I use or what 2 or 3d image I use to represent myself. WYSIWYG. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Nope. Not buying this one. I know better. I haven't given up my real-world identity. I am still me no matter what name I use or what 2 or 3d image I use to represent myself. WYSIWYG. 

In fact, I agree with you.

15 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

WYSIWYG

What does this acronym mean?

4 minutes ago, Tama Suki said:

Do you have to pay to use it or is it free?

Google is free for everyone:  https://www.google.com/

Also, the "Let me google that for you" is also free for everyone.

Have you been living under a rock for the last few decades?

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, animats said:

Avatar based worlds only appeal to a certain fraction of the adult population, those who are willing to give up their real-world identity to take on another one.

This doesn't sound quite right to me either.  Given the amount of people that seem to value their anonymity online and go to lengths to obscure their identities and details about their 'real lives' when using the internet, the notion that people would balk at the idea of using a pseudonym in an avatar based world doesn't sound very plausible.

ETA: Unless of course the question was phrased in exactly the way you stated as "Would you be willing to give up your real-world identity to take on another one?" in which case the person who wrote that question needs to be taken aside and given a good stern talking to about how "words have meanings and what words mean dictates how and when you should use them!" because the idea that someone has to give up their current identity in order to use 'the metaverse' or any other type of virtual world is ludicrous and the question itself is just plain silly!

Edited by Fluffy Sharkfin
Added comment about how it was probably a stupid question anyway.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Tama Suki said:

I don't understand how to use it, sorry.
I open it but I can't do anything.

The screen is Googling "WYSIWYG" for you and then showing the results of the Google search.

It is basically reminding you that Google exists and can be used to find out the meaning of things like "WYSIWYG"

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The screen is Googling "WYSIWYG" for you and then showing the results of the Google search.

It is basically reminding you that Google exists and can be used to find out the meaning of things like "WYSIWYG"

I thought it was a link to understand that acronym. Sorry.
I therefore believe that you have tired yourself much more than the indispensable.
I'm flattered, thanks!

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Tama Suki said:

I thought it was a link to understand that acronym. Sorry.
I therefore believe that you have tired yourself much more than the indispensable.
I'm flattered, thanks!

If you had paid attention and waited as it said, you'd have seen this...

Screenshot_20220120-103410.thumb.png.59eef77d7e7bb23fa7222714d2b5be8f.png

• Like 2

On 1/17/2022 at 9:06 PM, Sammy Huntsman said:

I mean we need things to work, and not the Todd Howard definition of it works. Lol. Like it actually working and not riddled with bugs. As I said before new shinies are nice and all, but the bugs that have been around since the beginning of time. They need to be fixed.  I mean I could say we need do a total overhaul of SL, redo it from the ground up. But LL won't do that. Lol

On fixing bugs...

SL has a bug reporting and tracking system open to residents, the JIRA. You can see how many bugs are reported each month and when they or in process and fixed. The Lab does a decent job of keeping up with issues.

One of the big problems and time wasters is staff having to figure out how to end all the griefing tactics people come up with.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 788 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.