If I create textures do I have any control over how they are used?

snow Scarmon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 832 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I came to SL in 2008 as a student in a Master's Program.  I stayed on and helped the school establish their in-world information base.  I established a building where it would be possible to view PowerPoint slide presentations from real world and virtual world conferences.

As the collection grew so did the prim count. In 2014 I was ask to move all the slides to a lower prim prim presentation viewer. The new viewer I purchased used a different format.  That required down loading every slide textures, make the modification and up load them for the new viewer. 

The sim had several group tags, one created just manage information resources so we could "share with group" to work as a team.  It worked perfectly until the the person in charged retired and set off a power struggle I did not see coming. The person who came out on top  started deleting everything she did not like or could not own.

I thought I better come pick up the slide viewer I purchased and the slides they contain until the dust cleared. That is when I found that she had ejected everyone from information resources group and I no longer had access.    At the time I set up the new board I boxed up the original textures in three boxes. Now I can only find two boxes with 360 textures. The textures show my name, the date  up-loaded and the uuid number and Market Place shows the date I purchased the viewer.   I kept the rights to the textures and no copy in the viewer but that is no help when it is group owned by a group I am no longer in.

I put a massive amount of time and expenses into this.  Around 8,500 in Lindens for the board and up-loads. I was told I would be reimbursed but that never happened. That was alright, I was happy to share my work. Now if she decides to delete them they are gone.  That was my work and my money and I want them back.

Is there anyway to get them back?

4 answers to this question

Probably not. In retrospect, the safest thing to have done would have been to save a copy of each uploaded image in your inventory.  Since you didn't, the only way you can recover them now is to find some current member of the group who has copies with copy/transfer perms and it willing to send them to you.  (Of course, you could always upload them again from the originals your computer, but that's precisely what you are trying to avoid.)  You'll have to console yourself with the fact that your work was appreciated by many people for more than a decade and that your total monetary loss was "only" about $34.

• Like 1

I was afraid the answer would no.  I have about 60% of the original up-loads. I have a different computer now and if I saved them to a memory stick before it fired I might still have them.  It is disappointing. A SL library would have given them a home but once she deletes them they are gone.  I bought the viewer, I did the slides, and I build the structure they are in.

I would say it is not fair but as my mom told me at an early age, life is not fair. I wondered about LL intellectual property rights but they probably don't apply.

Thank you all for your answers 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 832 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.