Jump to content

What's the most griefer-ish thing you've done in SL that you secretly wish you could still do?


Recommended Posts

Reading this article made me think of this question:

https://www.thegamer.com/facebook-metaverse-second-life/

For some this may not be a secret wish, but I suspect that for many of us old-timers we would secretly love to act as silly and unaware of SL social rules as we used to do.

My all-time favorite activity that is not entirely socially acceptable is making objects physical and then dropping them from a great height. A semi-transparent sphere encompassing an avatar is the best, especially if it's set to having Rubber physics. You can roll off a platform, bounce when you hit the ground, then roll into another person's property or into linden water. Walk inside this sphere, and you'll feel like you're inside a giant hamster ball.

I once accidentally made a giant sky platform physical and dropped it into a the goth club neighboring my mainland property. I apologized and removed it ASAP, but it was still funny to see it slicing through the gothic cathedral next door.

I also made use of this physics trick when an SL soon-to-be ex "borrowed" a substantial amount of RL money that he looked like he might not be willing to pay back to me. I made over a hundred Easter eggs with prizes inside, all physical and sitting on a sky platform. Then I deleted the platform and let them fall. Users of our sandbox sim found brightly colored Easter eggs all over the sim with gifts inside, but these eggs were also named things like "Snake", "Weasel", "Jerk", & etc. as a sign to this soon-to-be ex that I was not above hurting his reputation with our group members if he failed to return my money. In the end, I was one of the few (or possibly the only) person whom he paid back before abandoning the sim and moving on to greener pastures.

Even in a big public sandbox, it's fun to make some giant physical rubber shapes, drop them, and see how they bounce and roll.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I made a particle emitter with bats and was showing it to new people in the welcome area. I was surprised when people told me to stop as I had seen larger particles emitters going off all the time in the past. I really didn't mind particles at all and they brought a little fun to a place where everyone just stood around.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

I made a particle emitter with bats and was showing it to new people in the welcome area. I was surprised when people told me to stop as I had seen larger particles emitters going off all the time in the past. I really didn't mind particles at all and they brought a little fun to a place where everyone just stood around.

It's possible someone may be getting seizures from the particles or lights.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the most grieverish thing I ever did and honestly still some rare sometimes do is...

Clicking ALL DEM THINGS. ...in my neighbours kitchens and such x3 I open their fridge doors or clicky their coffee maker XD or turn on their showers or click their cookie plates and eat all their pixel cookies ...I know I'm a rebel lmao 

So yeah that's it. Which reminds me ...I haven't had a look at my neighbours houses in aaaages. X3 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Persephone Emerald  I've never done anything griefer-ish to anyone, but I now want to make a bunch of rubber shapes to dump off a platform just to see what happens.  Why have i never tried this before?  Is this why some people find sandboxes so fun?  The ability to just play and experiment?

Edited by Cinnamon Mistwood
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

@Persephone Emerald  I've never done anything griefer-ish to anyone, but I now want to make a bunch of rubber shapes to dump off a platform just to see what happens.  Why have i never tried this before?  Is this why some people find sandboxes so fun?  The ability to just play and experiment?

Actually I did that at a island I rented a parcel at. The owner gave notice to everyone and was going to close the sim and leave SL and if anyone wanted to have fun go for it.  I did the rubber balls and made a tall tower which I timbered. Before reeking havoc I made everything temporary and let it rip! :D

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I forgot the throwing physical objects from a sky platform is classed as griefing and only did this last week - whupps!

I would like to still be able to go to sex clubs and use my Kiss Me Deadly HUD. To those who have not heard of this - and surely everyone has? - you ask permission to kiss someone with it, they usually accept, and then it animates their avatar to fall dead on the ground, after which time they are unable to have control of their avatar for around 30 seconds. The blind panic it used to put freenis-wearing (hopeful) guys in was hilarious. 

 

Edited by Marigold Devin
Seconds not minutes doofus!
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

Griefing is never fun.
That's all.

Cary on.

I really never knew that, when my best friend in Second Life orbited me or set me on fire or got his monster to push me off the sky platform onto the ground, that that was actually griefing. I didn't know he was using some kind of weapons HUD. I honestly thought it was just a fun toy. 

However, I did not like to be deformed. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I used to hang out in a club where we shot each other with orbiter guns all the time. It was mostly during arguments, but there would be times where someone would be minding their business. Sometimes, you’d just get the urge.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When I was a new little avie, I had another new avie friend.  We were sitting in  sandbox while he opened a box of random freebies.  One of the many items in the box was a necklace that could be given as a gift.  He didn't want it and transferred it to me. 

I put it on and every attachment I was wearing disappeared - hair and everything.  I didn't make the connection and got dressed and disrobed 2 more times.  We were both laughing when we figured it out.

I've been deformed and orbited a time or two as well.  Some people can laugh at the tricks and some people can't, but for a noob who has no idea what's going on, that it is a trick, or how to protect themselves, it's probably pretty mortifying. 

I imagine I would have panicked watching my avie fall to the floor, "die" and become unresponsive. Game over, man.  I have to make a new account. Where was my last save point?

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

I really never knew that, when my best friend in Second Life orbited me or set me on fire or got his monster to push me off the sky platform onto the ground, that that was actually griefing. I didn't know he was using some kind of weapons HUD. I honestly thought it was just a fun toy. 

However, I did not like to be deformed. 

We did a lot of fun stuff on our home beach in the early days as well, but as long as all participants find it funny it is not griefing.
It becomes griefing when "the fun" is only on one side, just like with bullying then there is no fun but a problem.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Omg so many!  

  • Racing around on a scooter with my (long gone now) friend wearing fat shapes, latex outfits and tiaras running over noobs.
  • Wearing the fat shapes, matching latex outfits, big hair and tiaras and going to club events and telling hot guys to slap our butts and ride the waves!
  • Sneaking back in and rezzing weiners in clubs silly enough to have build still on when they would eject us.
  • Wearing Nutella jar avatars and going to strip clubs and getting lap dances from the dancers.
  • Going to "adult" sims and wearing a poseball avi and sitting here giggling as people try to use them.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Griefing is not that black and white. It's in the eye of the beholder.

When I was new in this world, I was curious as to how the LSL scripting function llBreakAllLinks(); would play out in a link set of plywood cubes. So one day, I tried out the following script in a sandbox:

/*

How to use:

1. Create a few plywood boxes (no more than 32).
2. Select them all and link them together.
3. Create a script inside the Content.
4. Open the script, and replace the content with everything you see here.
5. Take a copy of the object into your inventory before you click it.
6. Enjoy.

*/

default{
    state_entry(){
        llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast(LINK_THIS,[
            PRIM_PHYSICS,TRUE,
            PRIM_PHANTOM,FALSE,
            PRIM_LINK_TARGET,LINK_SET,
            PRIM_SIZE,<.5,.5,.5>,
            PRIM_LINK_TARGET,LINK_ALL_OTHERS,
            PRIM_PHYSICS_SHAPE_TYPE,0,
            PRIM_POS_LOCAL,ZERO_VECTOR
        ]);
        llSetText("Click me…",<1,1,1>,1);
    }
    touch_end(integer Total){
        llRequestPermissions(
            llGetOwner(),PERMISSION_CHANGE_LINKS
        );
    }
    run_time_permissions(integer Perm){
        if(Perm&PERMISSION_CHANGE_LINKS){
            llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast(LINK_THIS,[
                PRIM_TEMP_ON_REZ,TRUE
            ]);
            llSetText("Uh oh. Now you've done it…",<1,1,1>,1);
            llSleep(3);
            llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast(LINK_SET,[
                PRIM_FULLBRIGHT,ALL_SIDES,TRUE,
                PRIM_GLOW,ALL_SIDES,.1
            ]);
            llBreakAllLinks();
        }
    }
}

The script was simpler back then, but I added a few special effects for more fun. And, naturally, it goes without saying that you observe a little bit of personal space between yourself and your fellow builders (+/- 20 meters).

Also back then, and this is the eye of the beholder part, the sandbox guard on watch had a different opinion about my little experiment. I got ejected and banned promptly. "I know your kind. I don't want this kind of bs here." was her response.

To this day, I think such a reaction was completely out of proportion. I'd do it again every time in any sandbox. No regrets!

004f631a56763853f59061aa252b84a4.png

 

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Reading this article made me think of this question:

https://www.thegamer.com/facebook-metaverse-second-life/

For some this may not be a secret wish, but I suspect that for many of us old-timers we would secretly love to act as silly and unaware of SL social rules as we used to do.

My all-time favorite activity that is not entirely socially acceptable is making objects physical and then dropping them from a great height. A semi-transparent sphere encompassing an avatar is the best, especially if it's set to having Rubber physics. You can roll off a platform, bounce when you hit the ground, then roll into another person's property or into linden water. Walk inside this sphere, and you'll feel like you're inside a giant hamster ball.

I once accidentally made a giant sky platform physical and dropped it into a the goth club neighboring my mainland property. I apologized and removed it ASAP, but it was still funny to see it slicing through the gothic cathedral next door.

I also made use of this physics trick when an SL soon-to-be ex "borrowed" a substantial amount of RL money that he looked like he might not be willing to pay back to me. I made over a hundred Easter eggs with prizes inside, all physical and sitting on a sky platform. Then I deleted the platform and let them fall. Users of our sandbox sim found brightly colored Easter eggs all over the sim with gifts inside, but these eggs were also named things like "Snake", "Weasel", "Jerk", & etc. as a sign to this soon-to-be ex that I was not above hurting his reputation with our group members if he failed to return my money. In the end, I was one of the few (or possibly the only) person whom he paid back before abandoning the sim and moving on to greener pastures.

Even in a big public sandbox, it's fun to make some giant physical rubber shapes, drop them, and see how they bounce and roll.

I prefer not to say how many and what griefer-ish things I did in SL because I have, shall we say, a pretty "lively" criminal record LMAO!
Or I could do it but I would need to write a 6 page long thread to write the story of what I did but also what I received.
Anyway!
ANDY KELLY's article is very nice and interesting and I would like to follow him if he is in the SL forum. I disagree on the issue of copyright and how he projects it onto the future of the metaverse. It would be very nice to follow such a thread.
I give that music loops that do not exceed 10 seconds are an exception to the rule and are not subject to penalties, maybe I'm wrong.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Me? Grief? HAH! I'm the one everyone drops the spheres on, or gets pushed into LL water when afk in the freaking bathroom...

Nah, really. We didn't grief but we did have a lot of fun messing with each other and having things like sperm gun wars filling up whole sims with sperm floating around, laughing our asses off at the inanity of it all.

Shame none of them ever log in anymore.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Me? Grief? HAH! I'm the one everyone drops the spheres on, or gets pushed into LL water when afk in the freaking bathroom...

Nah, really. We didn't grief but we did have a lot of fun messing with each other and having things like sperm gun wars filling up whole sims with sperm floating around, laughing our asses off at the inanity of it all.

Shame none of them ever log in anymore.

I've got a gun that fires screaming crying babies all over the place. That used to be fun to use. And the laser eyes to set people/places on fire.  Not griefing at all. 

The winter snowball fighting Linden Lab was interesting. I got caught from behind quite unexpectedly when I thought I was on a totally empty region.

Still not griefing. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

There's a Fart HUD on the Marketplace (great 10-L$ investment, btw; maximum range = 128m) that griefs so hard that it's rated 9 (nine!) stars on the scale of 5 (five) on the website.

I prefer to use my Fart Bomb. Just drop it at the feet of your victim and watch the green clouds choke everyone to death while enjoying the sounds of explosive gases. 

Fart Bombs have been around for about 18 years now... 🤫

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...