We invite you to share your perspective and help us improve the Second Life experience!

Alwin Alcott

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 821 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

As a valued Resident, you are invited to participate in market research regarding your experience with Second Life. This research (in partnership with LWR) includes a brief questionnaire and virtual interview session inworld for those that qualify*

OK .. nothing wrong... till
asking for my income
and some other eyeroll questions....

and this....

c9b4a7aa73f740ccc54ae9d48dcf19d4.png

sorry but what the heck is this of your concern??... what does this help to ïmprove" SL ????
and btw i'm not white, but European

at his screen i closed the window ... rewrite your survey or pick a different partner to question your residents.

( received from mc.secondlife.com)

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

58 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

OK .. nothing wrong... till
asking for my income
and some other eyeroll questions....

and this....

c9b4a7aa73f740ccc54ae9d48dcf19d4.png

sorry but what the heck is this of your concern??... what does this help to ïmprove" SL ????
and btw i'm not white, but European

at his screen i closed the window ... rewrite your survey or pick a different partner to question your residents.

( received from mc.secondlife.com)

I would have exited the survey when they asked for income. That is none of anybody's business. What were the other eye roll questions?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Echelon Alcott said:

I would have exited the survey when they asked for income. That is none of anybody's business. What were the other eye roll questions?

i call it eyeroll question because i don't remember the exact wording, and can't go back to that page, it was for me also a question totally irrelevant to be a member of SL or anything to do with a approvement questionaire.

3 hours ago, Leahndra said:

Did they forgot Europeans on purpose?

Its worse. To me this looks like what you get, when you cross a purely US-centric worldview with the attempt of being progressive or "woke": You think its super important to differentiate between X groups of Native Americans and black Americans, while thinking the same differentiation doesn't matter for everyone who is neither of those two things. The result is a question that neither displays ethnic diversity, nor cultural/geographic diversity and has no good reason in being in this survey at all.

Edit: It gets worse the longer I look at it. Asia is just one blob to them, Europe/Australia/Africa/South America/ + countries other than the US in North America do not exist, all white people are the same...  

Edited by Syo Emerald
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 4

Couple of my alts got the invitation. I 86'd the whole thing when I saw this:

By clicking “Accept” you agree to keep the contents of the study strictly confidential, […]

I long ago promised myself I'd never agree to keeping anything secret that comes from Linden Lab.

I suppose technically this thread would be a violation, but I'm not sure what jurisdiction would treat an "Accept" click as a bona fide Non Disclosure Agreement. But IANAL etc.

The other part I found interesting without even clicking:

As part of our studies, we typically collect certain systems and device data which is used for analytical and fraud prevention purposes, and other information you may choose to share, such as demographic information and occasionally, a name, email address, and photo, video and audio, all of which is used to conduct the research study. [emphasis mine]

I assumed they're screening for demographics of folks willing to play with the promised camera-tracked facial gesture to improve avatar expression. If so, I'd be excluded from the sample anyway.

14 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

I suppose technically this thread would be a violation,

perhaps it is, but the invite itself doesn't speak about a study but a survey, and that my responses would be confidential, no word about the second page, where without any explanation is a ND ánd use of all my personal data ...that's not how EU laws see a legal agreement ...no info but take my stuff?... ehm no.

We invite you to share your perspective and help us improve the Second Life experience!

As a valued Resident, you are invited to participate in market research regarding your experience with Second Life. This research (in partnership with LWR) includes a brief questionnaire and virtual interview session inworld for those that qualify*

We would sincerely appreciate your time and consideration as feedback from you is incredibly important to better help deliver the most fulfilling experience to all Second Life Residents.

If you are interested in participating, simply click the button below and fill out the form with your contact information:
Start Survey
Please complete the form by January 14, 2022** and note that your responses will remain completely confidential and only used to contact you to schedule an interview.

If you are selected and eligible to be part of the research, you will receive a $75 USD incentive in the form of a Visa eGift card upon the completion of your participation.

Thank you in advance for providing us with your input!

To be fair, if you guys ever do any kind of consumer surveys like this one, those questions are asked almost every single time whether it seems relevant to the specific survey or not.

This is an article talking about income questions in surveys: https://www.questionpro.com/blog/income-survey-questions/

• "Income survey questions as a part of demographic questions are used by researchers to evaluate the financial status of the respondent. These type of questions can help researchers with information to find the right target audience, conduct pricing research, and many more."

This is an article talking about the race/ethnicity questions in surveys: https://www.questionpro.com/blog/ethnicity-survey-questions/ 

• "Ethnicity survey questions are one of the types of survey questions, which are usually included to gather demographic data to understand, what factors can influence the choice of the respondent and deduce a pattern. Ethnicity survey questions play a vital role in social science research as well as business research."

Whether you find these types of questions suspicious, unnecessary, or morally wrong to ask, that's your business of course. But they're standard questions to be asked by any kind of market research survey. 😛

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Not taking a position either way here, but this looks like every other survey I've ever taken in my life. And I've taken a lot more than I care to admit (had some tough times!), though all of the ones I've taken were paid surveys conducted through actual universities or companies for consumer/market research and hosted on various gig/work websites, so there's that. That aside, these are really standard demographics questions they tend to ask participants, at least here in the US (race/ethnicity, income, age bracket, region of the country or world if international - some go as far as to ask for a zip code, marital status, education level/degree held, what field your degree's in, etc. etc. etc.). I've seen questions like that on simple "so what do you think of this cool new product idea!" surveys that seemingly don't need any of that info. Not saying it's right or wrong - it's just somewhat common, at least for our surveys here in the US.

Now, why an SL survey needs all that - no idea. But this does follow the usual generic format. I'd just avoid the survey if you don't want to give out that type of info (I'm so used to it, it wouldn't faze me, but I realize how that would make others a bit concerned).

Edit: LilNosferatu beat me to it, with links even!  ❤️

Edited by Ayashe Ninetails
I can spell I promise!
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, LilNosferatu said:

To be fair, if you guys ever do any kind of consumer surveys like this one, those questions are asked almost every single time whether it seems relevant to the specific survey or not.

This is an article talking about income questions in surveys: https://www.questionpro.com/blog/income-survey-questions/

• "Income survey questions as a part of demographic questions are used by researchers to evaluate the financial status of the respondent. These type of questions can help researchers with information to find the right target audience, conduct pricing research, and many more."

This is an article talking about the race/ethnicity questions in surveys: https://www.questionpro.com/blog/ethnicity-survey-questions/ 

• "Ethnicity survey questions are one of the types of survey questions, which are usually included to gather demographic data to understand, what factors can influence the choice of the respondent and deduce a pattern. Ethnicity survey questions play a vital role in social science research as well as business research."

Whether you find these types of questions suspicious, unnecessary, or morally wrong to ask, that's your business of course. But they're standard questions to be asked by any kind of market research survey. 😛

Thank you! (though everyone will ignore this and continue to complain)

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 821 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.