Tempted to try again

EnchantrixLisa

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 825 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I just dont have the right mental aptitude for GOH. I roll a few times on an alt and get something I really like.. it may not be the "best possible" location, but it is nice, and appeals to me. Once I have it, I cant bare to give it up.

To make matters worse, after I decorate it, I like it even more and that makes it all the harder to give up.

As a result, it is very rare for me to roll for houses. Mostly I just keep the ones I have.

My problem is the opposite, in fact. I have 7 homes I love and cant bare the thought of giving up. Who on earth needs 7 houses?? Yet I find them very hard to give up.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

On 1/10/2022 at 3:36 PM, EnchantrixLisa said:

I had a premium account and really got into the house hunting. I'm tempted to try again but my only con is the feeling of being surrounded lol. If I could find a water spot that was congested I'd be a happy camper! But I will say the search is quite fun!! 😁

I went through probably a dozen campers before I finally found one with four sides protection. I didn't really insist on all 4 sides; even 2 would do. I just lucked on to that 4 side one and will hang on to it now. Most of the ones I abandoned I left either due to butterfly treadmills on multiple sides (even my 4-side-protected joy has one of those, marring the experience), or neighbours who put out odd things like snow or things like TVs that carried sound across the parcel. Or simply boredom. Once I've decorated it and sat on the roof of the trailer now and then, and boated around the area, I'm done, as in RL. In RL you don't stay at one camping site forever. I didn't want to endlessly AR myself out of a situation like that, I just moved. I recommend it highly. 

I almost stayed at one place that had two high-elevation glacial ponds. Then I realized lots of sims had those. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lila Lemongrass said:

What ARE butterfly treadmills? Are you referring to some odd environmental sound that gets in your ear like a mosquito? I've had to leave some camper or log house sites due to weird noises I couldn't turn off without completely muting my space.

Some shrubs in the camper (and log?) regions have animated butterflies that follow a looped circuit, going round and round. If they don't rezz properly, you see the paths rather than the butterflies, like semi-opaque white ribbons.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 1/12/2022 at 10:49 AM, Lila Lemongrass said:

What ARE butterfly treadmills? Are you referring to some odd environmental sound that gets in your ear like a mosquito? I've had to leave some camper or log house sites due to weird noises I couldn't turn off without completely muting my space.

On 1/12/2022 at 11:14 AM, Frigga Freidman said:

Some shrubs in the camper (and log?) regions have animated butterflies that follow a looped circuit, going round and round. If they don't rezz properly, you see the paths rather than the butterflies, like semi-opaque white ribbons.

Yes, it's the butterflies on a loop. And it doesn't matter if they rez properly or not; they move in a predictable, automatic loop. To feel real, Nature has to have randomness in it. The creator Balderdash has an excellent card in his shop about how to make a sim feel more real by mixing it up and randomizing things and not making it too even "by the numbers". The butterflies are a buzz kill, because the Moles actually do try to randomize and make things not that predictable, even given their necessity of using the same stock stuff, and having to replicate it across 100 sims. It's an art. 

I always take out and delete any butterfly treadmills I have like that in anything I buy, they are the thing that makes SL in general and Bellisseria in particular feel like Trumansville, where the same people passed by with the same objects, the lady on the bike, the man with the flowerpot, the VW with the dent. (That's because they were actors in a simulation but he only gradually became aware of this.)

Yes, you could likely de-render them on Firestorm but I don't wish to use TPVs, I want to use the regular viewer. So they detract from every scene for me. Some creators make particle butterflies that at least rez randomly if they set up the config card numbers right. The treadmills -- no.

My default is to leave SL sound off so I don't know what bothers you but I know in Fantasseria there are things with a script called "munch" and once you hear it, it's hard to unhear it. But it's part of its charm.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2022 at 5:14 AM, Frigga Freidman said:

just adding on to this

i haven't seen the Belli butterflies but typically these kinds of things are unscripted, they just do movement with animated texture.  Which is a good thing when trying to keep script count down, which the Moles do try to do.  Again not sure about Belli but quite a few trees and bushes are made this way as well. Slight animated texture movement of the branches. Beach/stream/pond water texture animation as well - no script

• Like 3

I got my perfect log house (on the river and only one absent neighbour with a big hill and waterfall behind it and river separating from rest of region when there was about to be a new release of a theme (the stilts). I got this after one catch and release. 

However the beach side Vic with only one neighbour and facing quite a big body of water was just pure luck which I got after spending a week using my 5 turns every day just randomly throughout the day. 

• Like 6

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 825 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.