Newbie BOM Problem

Properly Primless

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 835 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, Very new to SL and just setting up my avatar. I have a Legacy male body and a Catwa (Victor) head both of which are set up to use BOM but I am having problems getting them to match up. I have tried quite a few different demo skins but I always seem to have a visible join line between the head and body with a lighter band that does not seem to be getting covered by the skin texture / colour. Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong?

Snapshot-002.png

Thanks for replying, no, the Legacy body does have some neck fix textures included with it and I followed the instructions for how to apply these to the Catwa head but the textures only seems to have any effect on the areas either side of the white band. It almost seems as though nothing is being applied to this area for some reason.

2 hours ago, cuckysub said:

Thanks for replying, no, the Legacy body does have some neck fix textures included with it and I followed the instructions for how to apply these to the Catwa head but the textures only seems to have any effect on the areas either side of the white band. It almost seems as though nothing is being applied to this area for some reason.

No it won't, the neck blender has its own texture (or more likely it's blank, just tintable).  The purpose of it is to allow you to wear head and body skins from different creators, such as if you're using the default body skin with a head skin from somewhere else. If you're using a BOM skin you won't need the neck blender at all; turn it off.

• Haha 1

I have actually tried it both with and without the neck fix textures but it makes no difference. Nothing seems to be applying any colour or texture to the white band area, neither the skin or the textures have any effect on this area. The skin that I have at the moment has 2 versions included, one is a skin layer, the other is a tattoo layer. I have tried both versions and every possible combination of the 2 but the results are always the same. I have also downloaded a few demo skins to try but none of them seem to apply any colour to that area.

Victor is an older head. Stores like Catwa does not stop to sell their old products, and Catwa use the policy of not updating their older line. The only thing they added is BOM, and I believe they left the built in neck fix.

Does the main HUD look like this when opened? If so, the TMP was the previous line of Legacy (TMP is also a product that's replaced, not updated). The "TMP" button may not be the correct one to use now. You will have to try the other neck options to find the best fit.

But the lower button activates a neck sheath in the head itself. Adding and removing layers will go under the neck sheath and not show. Make sure neck fix is not "on".

(Edit: Alwin posted before me) I believe the neck fix tab is still there in Alwins image, but to the left of the body tabs)

I do not know how the Victor HUD looks now, if Catwa has changed it or not.

neck f.png

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Haha 1

Thanks for all of the tips, I have actually made some progress and it is now much better than it was (although still not perfect). What I had to do was in the Legacy body HUD there is a tab to select the neck tone that is the closest match to the skin (numbered from 1 - 32), then you copy the UUID of the corresponding numbered neck fix texture file and apply this to the head in the Catwa HUD and use the blend slider to blend it in.

Re the neck size there are several options in the Catwa HUD (Jake, SL, Sink, TMP, Adam, Giani), none of which seems to relate to Legacy bodies and having tried them all the only option that looks anything like right is with this section switched to "off" so I can only assume that is the correct choice.

As it is now there are still some imperfections when zoomed in close but it doesn't look too bad from a distance so I guess I'll have to live with that for the time being. Thanks again.

Snapshot-001.png

• Haha 1

Are you wearing a full body skin or head and body skins from different stores?  Are you using the default body skin from either the head or body?  

You said you've tried many demo skins.  Some are only head skins, some only body and a few do both.  

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, TT120 said:

The victor head comes with 2 versions, the regular one and the SL neck version.  Try the SL neck one.

Mine does indeed have 2 versions, one is the SL, the other is Niramyth. The Niramyth one is specific to their bodies which apparently have longer necks and according to the documentation the SL version is the one to use for all other bodies. I did try it just to be sure and with the Niramyth head there is a large gap between the head and body.

19 hours ago, colleen Criss said:

Edit your avatar, play in the neck size and body fat matters as well. I don't have a male avatar or a HUD the share but body fat and neck size matter.

Thanks, I tried this but none of the settings do anything to help. The neck size sliders make the neck shape as a whole change but the joint line still remains.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 835 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.