Reporting an AR for sharing private IM's to a group

Kathlen Onyx

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 805 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I am trying to file an AR in Firestorm on a particular avatar for sharing our private IM to a group.

I'm not sure what category it needs to go under. There isn't a specific category for that issue.

They said that they were going to IM me so I blocked them immediately. They subsequently copied and pasted what they wrote to me along with my "block" message to a group.

Someone in the group copied and pasted the group chat to me because since I had her blocked I couldn't see the actual chat she posted but everyone else did. 

I have the gyazo that shows that the copied and pasted it so I'm including that but I want to make sure I file it under the right category so it doesn't get closed without investigating it.

I was going to use "harassment - targeted behavior intended to disrupt.

I'd say under disclosure.

Disclosure that violates the Terms of Service

Three activities violate the Second Life Terms of Service and will result in a warning, ban, or suspension from Second Life:

Disclosing personal information about another Resident

Remote monitoring of conversations

Disclosing private Second Life conversations

To report activities of this nature, file an abuse report.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

I am trying to file an AR in Firestorm on a particular avatar for sharing our private IM to a group.

I'm not sure what category it needs to go under. There isn't a specific category for that issue.

They said that they were going to IM me so I blocked them immediately. They subsequently copied and pasted what they wrote to me along with my "block" message to a group.

Someone in the group copied and pasted the group chat to me because since I had her blocked I couldn't see the actual chat she posted but everyone else did. 

I have the gyazo that shows that the copied and pasted it so I'm including that but I want to make sure I file it under the right category so it doesn't get closed without investigating it.

Go ahead and use the Harassment category -- it's close enough -- and then explain in detail   Have your gyazo showing on screen so it gets included in the automatic screenshot. LL won't actually take your word for it, but they can look at their own logs.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

I would have used that category. 

But the most they'll get is a warning or a one day suspension. 

Also any private IM can so easily be doctored before it's shared, that it would only be "he said she said" and shouldn't even be taken as a factual account of a conversation. Easy enough it is to copy and paste into a notepad or somewhere and copy and paste it back out edited. 

But yes, I would AR them under that category - I can't think of any other it would fit under.

• Like 1

Sharing or posting a conversation inworld or in the Second Life forums without consent of all involved Residents is a violation of the Terms of Service.

Disclosing personal information about another Resident

Remote monitoring of conversations

Local chat and group IM are NOT private in any way.  Local/Group=Public

• Like 1

It's a gyazo of the group chat and it shows that it's not doctored.

So from your flippant response it seems like you don't think it's a big deal at all and waste of time because they will just get a slap on the hand?  Maybe that's why people continue to violate the TOS because it's not taken seriously. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

So from your flippant response it seems like you don't think it's a big deal at all and waste of time because they will just get a slap on the hand?  Maybe that's why people continue to violate the TOS because it's not taken seriously. 

You've completely misunderstood me. I wasn't being at all flippant.

And that's why I said what I said - that I would report under the harassment category.

(But I get now why you gave the laugh emoji to Tama in that other thread where they said I was kind. Bloody hell, Sam1, you have a problem with me. So I will keep my distance from you from now on.)

Edited by Marigold Devin

24 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

I don't know what you expect LL to do about it .. permaban them and all their accounts? Send the lads round? Make them stand in the middle of Ahern and publicly grovel

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

I don't know what you expect LL to do about it .. permaban them and all their accounts? Send the lads round? Make them stand in the middle of Ahern and publicly grovel

So exactly what part of the TOS that someone violates would you file an AR report? I'm seriously curious.

12 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

LL gonna call them up to the front of the class.

image.png.28049dc8535f4fcc5cec8a2e85613ac8.png

But, in seriousness I agree with what Rowan said and file it under disclosure. Maybe something will happen, maybe not, but it doesn't hurt to file the AR anyways.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

But they didn't share anything you  personally posted.. it was a auto generated response. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

/me squints at you... 
You tryin to copy someone elses recent posts? 

So, if it was the generic response it would be ok? 

no, because it was a response from my im's to them personally IMing me.

Listen, I know LL isn't going to do anything and if she'd copied it to anyone else but the Group chat I couldn't care less but it was copied to a group chat where I am an active member of. Sharing of personal IM's is against the TOS but it seems like people have different ideas of what that is. Whatever, I AR'd her and I know nothing will come of it. I have no idea if they let the person know that they've received a report or not.  

I also have no idea by what you mean by what I bolded above.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

I have no idea if they let the person know that they've received a report or not. 

if they don't act they will not make any annoucements to you or the reported. .. also not to you íf they act on it.

Out of experience i know LL takes this kind of TOS breach very serious. But i really doubt they will be on your side at this specific case.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Sharing of personal IM's is against the TOS but it seems like people have different ideas of what that is.

If it didn't contain any words typed by your own fair fingers, it's not a violation of anything.

9 hours ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

I have no idea if they let the person know that they've received a report or not.  

You will get an email acknowledging you made the report. 

The target of the AR will only be informed if LL found the report to have merit AND warrant a response. In many cases no message is sent from LL to the target of an AR, even if action was taken - eg, for encroachment .. the object getting returned to 'lost & found' is the only response anyone gets.

• Like 2

If you muted them and they pasted a response and then showed their response to the group along with the fact you had muted them and you got this all second hand from someone you did not have muted who pasted it to you THAT person broke TOS not the person who you are mad at.  If they were muted you should not know what they said at all and then you would not respond. 

This sounds like a cluster **** to me, but you do you.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, colleen Criss said:

If you muted them and they pasted a response and then showed their response to the group along with the fact you had muted them and you got this all second hand from someone you did not have muted who pasted it to you THAT person broke TOS not the person who you are mad at.

Is it against TOS to share a conversation that took place in a group chat when the person the conversation is being shared with is also part of the same group, I thought that only applied to private IMs between avatars rather than a publicly accessible group?

• Like 2

On 1/9/2022 at 2:33 AM, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

no, because it was a response from my im's to them personally IMing me.

Listen, I know LL isn't going to do anything and if she'd copied it to anyone else but the Group chat I couldn't care less but it was copied to a group chat where I am an active member of. Sharing of personal IM's is against the TOS but it seems like people have different ideas of what that is. Whatever, I AR'd her and I know nothing will come of it. I have no idea if they let the person know that they've received a report or not.  

I also have no idea by what you mean by what I bolded above.

From the Community standards.. 

"Except for the purpose of reporting abuse or any violation of policies to Linden Lab, the remote monitoring, posting or sharing of conversations without a participant’s consent are prohibited." 

You didn't have a conversation with them. You had them blocked. All they did was post the auto message you wrote, which anyone who you have blocked sees. 

What i mean by the bolded part? You know this stuff, Sam. You knew exactly what the responses would be, yet you posted anyway. It comes across as very much like the vein of recent posts by two users. Asking a question that the answers are well known and getting upset with the expected replies. Still luv ya though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

Is it against TOS to share a conversation that took place in a group chat when the person the conversation is being shared with is also part of the same group, I thought that only applied to private IMs between avatars rather than a publicly accessible group?

Sharing conversations w/o consent is against TOS, period. Proving any of it is sticky.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, colleen Criss said:

Sharing conversations w/o consent is against TOS, period. Proving any of it is sticky.

Yeah, looking over the wiki entry concerning residents privacy it's certainly worded in such a way that it seems to include literally any communication in SL (including local chat which I always thought wasn't the case).

On 1/9/2022 at 7:33 AM, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Whatever, I AR'd her and I know nothing will come of it.

Sending an abuse report about this incident may have little effect but if this person is persistently harassing you then chances are they'll give you plenty more opportunities to report them for it and eventually LL will escalate their response accordingly.  If their harassment doesn't continue then clearly muting them worked and you're probably better off just forgetting the entire unpleasant experience.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 805 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.