Why When Accessing The Second Life Forums Via Secondlife.com Users Are Redirected To Community.Secondlife.com

Paulsian

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 831 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My scroll wheel on my mouse is my ignore button.
That way I not only ignore some people (temporary most of the time) but also (some boring parts of) threads.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

My scroll wheel on my mouse is my ignore button.

But you'd have to read the titles first, in order to skip them. And then...

a5b1e2fa68e2b8065f9a14b9da778009.jpg

Like: I can't unsee the notion anymore that there are actually people in this world who really think that the SL viewer can secretly steal GPU time from your PC to mine crypto. You can't make this ***** up. This has to be a troll.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hey Paulsian,

I'm going to assume this is a genuine question rather than anything else, and just answer it as best I know how.

Basically there are two main ways of doing this sort of thing.

1. Subdomains (subdomain.mydomain.com)
  2. Subdirectories (mydomain.com/subdirectory)

There are various ideas around what's deemed "good practice" in determining which to use.

Mostly it boils down to pick a lane and then be consistent. The idea of it being related to what server anything is hosted on is a wee bit anachronistic especially in the age of cloud hosting and serverless infrastructures (regardless what Wikipedia might say).

Given your other threads though, I'm supposing (and hoping naively 😀) that this again a genuine query driven by questions of security and online safety.

Basically there are potential risks associated with the use of subdomains, if you're not careful with your DNS config then you might have an issue with what's called a Subdomain Takeover, but really as long as LL know what they're doing it should all be fine.

There are some moot pros and cons around SEO but I'm guessing you're not too bothered about that.

I'm not sure if you're trolling or not with your threads, so I'm going to continue contributing as best I can.

In any event I'm not sure what the difference is between your prolific thread creation and the really really numerous avatar beautification ones.

There's seriously one for shoulder closeups... 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

But you'd have to read the titles first, in order to skip them. And then...

a5b1e2fa68e2b8065f9a14b9da778009.jpg

Like: I can't unsee the notion anymore that there are actually people in this world who really think that the SL viewer can secretly steal GPU time from your PC to mine crypto. You can't make this ***** up. This has to be a troll.

You mean this Cryptojacking **** which is so ridiculously made up that almost every single major anti malware vendor is now addressing the risk in their products (even Microsoft Defender bless it)?

But yeah I get your point, the LL viewer is open source after all, once you publish your code in a public repository you're golden - you've got to be a crazy person to take all this malware malarky seriously 😀

I've tried to contribute to this topic on another thread, which you can follow up on if you like. If you don't like.. then that's ok too 😀

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, QwiQ said:

You mean this Cryptojacking **** which is so ridiculously made up that almost every single major anti malware vendor is now addressing the risk in their products (even Microsoft Defender bless it)?

But yeah I get your point, the LL viewer is open source after all, once you publish your code in a public repository you're golden - you've got to be a crazy person to take all this malware malarky seriously 😀

I've tried to contribute to this topic on another thread, which you can follow up on if you like. If you don't like.. then that's ok too 😀

Now figure in the idea of how practical it would be. A nefarious entity isn't going to say, "Let's see how we can hijack the official Second Life viewer - okay, how about crypomining?" They're going to say, "How can we hijack something to do cryptomining?" Second Life isn't exactly a huge market in internet terms. There is the concept of "low-hanging fruit." Is it possible that someone will rent a helicopter, drop down in a harness and pluck the topmost crabapple from your tree?  I suppose so. However, it would be more productive to take the amount of effort they'd be willing to put into that operation and go after something with higher yield.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Now figure in the idea of how practical it would be. A nefarious entity isn't going to say, "Let's see how we can hijack the official Second Life viewer - okay, how about crypomining?" They're going to say, "How can we hijack something to do cryptomining?" Second Life isn't exactly a huge market in internet terms. There is the concept of "low-hanging fruit." Is it possible that someone will rent a helicopter, drop down in a harness and pluck the topmost crabapple from your tree?  I suppose so. However, it would be more productive to take the amount of effort they'd be willing to put into that operation and go after something with higher yield.

I completely agree Theresa, I think I already covered the whole "possible" vs "probable" question in the other thread.

I guess I'm just raising the red flag that it is a very well known risk, it can be done, it has been done.

At the end of the day consensus of opinion here seems to be we're safe from the bogeyman "more by good luck than good management" (as my old gran used to say). .

If we're all happy with that, then fair enough 😀

Edited by QwiQ

4 minutes ago, QwiQ said:

the whole "possible" vs "probable" question

This is what keeps the OP's topics on the edge between being genuine and trolling: word games and semantics. However, when you consider his sudden outburst of related topics (https vs http, subdomains vs directories, especially a non-problem like the look_at topic, crypto-hyjacking, all sowing Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt among less tech-savvy SL residents), my troll-o-meter needle swings into the red.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

This is what keeps the OP's topics on the edge between being genuine and trolling: word games and semantics. However, when you consider his sudden outburst of related topics (https vs http, subdomains vs directories, especially a non-problem like the look_at topic, crypto-hyjacking, all sowing Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt among less tech-savvy SL residents), my troll-o-meter needle swings into the red.

Yeah I know Arduenn, I'm just erring on the side of trying to be nice for now.

I do know some people are very paranoid/scared about online risks so was trying to help (and taking a lot of heat in the process I might add 😀)

My troll-o-meter isn't far off yours, but maybe if we answer informatively and accurately (as much as we can anyway), any poor souls who rock up looking in his threads for advice will actually get it.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 831 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.