Stupid Notification Cap

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 833 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

SL's notification Cap is horrendous.  I understand the server caps messages to save space, or whatever, but why save the oldest notifications?!  Why not delete messages older than X days, or if I can only have 25 messages (80? I'm premium member and forget what it caps at), keep the 25 most recent, and delete older messages. If I log in at 5 pm I don't really care what went on at 2 am when my notices were capped. I don't know about anyone else  but 99.9% my notices are club announcements, and shopping event announcements. Again, keeping old notices and capping newer ones just, just doesn't make any sense. 

I know, someone will say "have messages delivered to your email."  NOOooo Thank you. I get enough crap spam in my email to have any desire to get SL notices adding to that pile. Maybe I'll just shut off notices. 

OK, rant over.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JentheBean said:

SL's notification Cap is horrendous.  I understand the server caps messages to save space, or whatever, but why save the oldest notifications?!  Why not delete messages older than X days, or if I can only have 25 messages (80? I'm premium member and forget what it caps at), keep the 25 most recent, and delete older messages. If I log in at 5 pm I don't really care what went on at 2 am when my notices were capped. I don't know about anyone else  but 99.9% my notices are club announcements, and shopping event announcements. Again, keeping old notices and capping newer ones just, just doesn't make any sense. 

I know, someone will say "have messages delivered to your email."  NOOooo Thank you. I get enough crap spam in my email to have any desire to get SL notices adding to that pile. Maybe I'll just shut off notices. 

OK, rant over.  

You could and should turn off club notices.  Look through them.separately when you ARE logged in to see if anything is going on.  Especially if.those places.are sending notices 24/7.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JentheBean said:

OK, rant over.  

I agree, the notification cap is pretty ridiculous and it would make more sense to me if they kept the latest X amount of notices instead of the oldest ones, or at least give you an option to keep either the newest or oldest. I do usually go into the clubs & stores that spam the most, and turn off notices. There's a couple that send them out like... every 10 minutes so it gets a little obnoxious, those definitely get turned off. 😆

I would recommend sending IMs to email, though, since those get capped so quickly, and I think there's an option for only IMs to be sent through email so I don't think it would be too spammy but I understand not wanting to flood your email with more crap so maybe just turn off notifs, at least for the groups that spam the most.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, LilNosferatu said:

I agree, the notification cap is pretty ridiculous and it would make more sense to me if they kept the latest X amount of notices instead of the oldest ones, or at least give you an option to keep either the newest or oldest. I do usually go into the clubs & stores that spam the most, and turn off notices. There's a couple that send them out like... every 10 minutes so it gets a little obnoxious, those definitely get turned off. 😆

I would recommend sending IMs to email, though, since those get capped so quickly, and I think there's an option for only IMs to be sent through email so I don't think it would be too spammy but I understand not wanting to flood your email with more crap so maybe just turn off notifs, at least for the groups that spam the most.

The recently changed what you can have sent to email, too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, JentheBean said:

someone will say "have messages delivered to your email."  NOOooo Thank you. I get enough crap spam in my email to have any desire to get SL notices adding to that pile

Have you considered organizing your inbox? You can make a dedicated folder for capped SL messages, and probably even separate IMs from notices.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 833 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.