Should Any Second Life User Be Allowed To Continue To See Another User's Camera Beacon Location - Privacy Issue?

Paulsian

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 834 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Maitimo said:

LookAt isn't where your avatar's face or eyes are looking. It's where your viewer's camera is looking.

It's not really even that, is it?  It is the last spot that you focused/clicked your view on.  However, you can then use the Alt & Ctrl keys to cam from that spot and the LookAt will stay on the original point.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Paulsian said:

it's 4am and I have not slept yet because when I close my eyes I see this and hoping by at least talking about it will help ease it. 

Given this and some other recent threads, you might want to just click the big X in the upper right corner.  SL might not be the best place for you to be.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 7

13 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Given this and some other recent threads, you might want to just click the big X in the upper right corner.  SL might not be the best place for you to be.

The entire internet might not be the place.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Innula Zenovka said:

It's not that long ago some third-party viewers showed avatar names above the camera cross-hairs, so you could see who was looking at what and at whom, until LL (quite rightly, to my mind) banned that functionality.

That was a real drama-magnet.

LL have never banned that feature.
It's a debugging tool, nothing more.  If people hijack it for drama,  that's their problem  ;)

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

It's not really even that, is it?  It is the last spot that you focused/clicked your view on.  However, you can then use the Alt & Ctrl keys to cam from that spot and the LookAt will stay on the original point.

Yes. Just look at the floor and then rotate/zoom over to anyone you want to stare at. I used to do that all the time but now I just look at people directly and no one has ever complained.

Second Life is almost entirely about getting looked at. Don't want to be looked at? Make you entire avatar invisible in public. Don't want to be upskirted? Turn off your parts beneath the skirt.  Don't want to look at people? Turn everyone into jellydolls. I do this at shopping events all the time and it makes the region load much faster.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

If you've clicked on something to focus, then you use ESC to escape out of that, your camera view (and LookAt crosshairs) will revert to a default position about 2 metres in front of your avatars face. The colour of the crosshairs will revert to grey at this point, to show that there is no focussed LookAt target.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bree Giffen said:

Second Life is almost entirely about getting looked at.

Indeed it is for a lot of people.  Some I know even react positively in local chat and with animations / emotes to knowing they are being looked at.

One had an avatar that was a potted flower with bees around it.  She gave out attachments that were bees that followed camera location and instructed people to alt-click on her and join the party.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

[...] Anyway, that's technically different from the "Look At"... [...]

Thanks, Qie. I did suspect as much, but didn’t want to complicate my comment with technicalities; still, you’re right, of course 😉

• Like 1

to be fair to Paulsien, the drama came when some insecure dude wanted to know why Paulsien was looking at the dude's gf, when Paulsien wasn't actually

next time it happens Paulsien then say back something like:

"that lady looks even more delicious than the dragon she is riding on. You tho don't seem to be as delicious as the lady or the dragon even"

which will raise the drama level of the conversation to eleventy

😸

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

LL have never banned that feature.
It's a debugging tool, nothing more.  If people hijack it for drama,  that's their problem  ;)

I must have misremembered.  I could have sworn there was an ongoing argument going on in SLU with one of the FS devs about that feature, and she posted about removing it, giving that reason.   I can't look it up now because SLU's closed and Cristiano can't get the archives back.   It must have been 9 or 10 years ago, so I can't really remember.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Innula Zenovka said:

I must have misremembered.  I could have sworn there was an ongoing argument going on in SLU with one of the FS devs about that feature, and she posted about removing it, giving that reason.   I can't look it up now because SLU's closed and Cristiano can't get the archives back.   It must have been 9 or 10 years ago, so I can't really remember.

I do remember a similar uproar concerning the ability to tell when other people were viewing the profiles of nearby avatars, perhaps you're confusing the two?

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

to be fair to Paulsien, the drama came when some insecure dude wanted to know why Paulsien was looking at the dude's gf, when Paulsien wasn't actually

"that lady looks even more delicious than the dragon she is riding on. You tho don't seem to be as delicious as the lady or the dragon even"

which will raise the drama level of the conversation to eleventy

😸

Or something along the lines of:

"I'm just trying to figure out why such a gorgeous gal is with a dude like you"

That'll really get the drama going

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

33 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

“Hey babe, ditch the zero and get with the hero!”. Seriously, “stop targeting me” might as well be “please troll the ***** out of me”.

32 minutes ago, Innula Zenovka said:

There was a kerfuffle about showing what viewer other people were using way back when. People would be using it to evangelize for their favorite viewer and LL finally did ban that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

I do remember a similar uproar concerning the ability to tell when other people were viewing the profiles of nearby avatars

OMG... you kidding, right? ;)

"Hey, you creeps, stop looking at my public profile!!! YOU, why did you view my profile?!!!!"

lol

Edited by Echelon Alcott
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

4 minutes ago, Echelon Alcott said:

Hum... you kidding, right? ;)

"Hey, you creeps, stop looking at my public profile!!! YOU, why did you view my profile?!!!!"

I've learned many things from my time in SL, not least of which is to never underestimate the capacity for misplaced outrage, indignation and entitlement that some of its residents are seemingly endowed with.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Echelon Alcott said:

OMG... you kidding, right? ;)

lol

See, I think the panic is one Spy-vs-Spy step deeper:

"How dare you know who views your profile? I have a Google-given right to privacy and anonymous profile-perving!"

• Like 1

Avatars and profiles are pretty much public information  and not user information, unless the user decides to put user information in or on them somewhere..

I'm willing to bet that someone is reading your post you made in this thread or looking at your avatar on the side, or even looking at your forum profile..

They even tell you on your profile who is looking at your profile, right on your profile.

The really crazy thing is, some of them even follow you.  O.O

Jh4e.gif

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 834 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.