How Second Life Can Fill a Missing Piece of VR and The Metaverse

lucagrabacr

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 838 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

That's an interesting idea.

There's a company already selling cross-platform avatars, Ready Player Me. On their system, all avatar customization and clothing changes take place on their web site. Then, the assembled and optimized avatars are drawn by pieces of their code put into other systems under license. They have a hundred or so minor 3D worlds using this.

It might be do-able without Linden Lab support. The big avatar makers, such as Belleza or Slink, own enough content, and have working relationships with clothing creators. One of them could make this work for their avatars only, through a tie-up with a company into rendering technology.

That's more likely to work than getting LL to do something technically difficult.

• Haha 1

Moral/Legal questions arise

As a creator should I expect that any content I upload to SecondLife can be exported by the user and find it's way onto other platforms (legitimately). Would it really be moral to let  players just export whatever assets they wear?

How will that affect my business if a user is able to make their avatar in one world using my body, then port it to another? Has that prevented a future sale? Has my creation been given to another company without my permission?

Obviously the video was written with Benefits to LL in mind, but I suspect this is a case of where one person gains another person loses. I could see a move like this creating a major trust issue / spooking creators.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 838 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.