Exporting avatar shapes. What magic is this? :)

Katherine Heartsong

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 432 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

How do the people/stores in the Marketplace sell shapes?

Besides the obvious "you need X head and Y" body, there are fantastic shapes available for sale (i.e., Wrens, among others) but I can not figure out how to export my own custom and tweaked shape and share it with a friend in world. How is this done, this sharing of an avatar shape object?

Thanks. Still learning. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

Besides the obvious "you need X head and Y" body, there are fantastic shapes available for sale (i.e., Wrens, among others) but I can not figure out how to export my own custom and tweaked shape and share it with a friend in world. How is this done, this sharing of an avatar shape object?

You have to find the shape in your inventory, right click it, choose Properties on menu and check the options Copy/Modify/Transfer for you and check the options you want for next owner.

915142488_Permissions-Inventory-MCT.png.a206fa3fe5e0dca4022c718721622221.png

Edited by DemeraraGirl
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Firestorm viewer has a developer menu option.

Developer---->Avatar---->Character Tests---->Appearance to XML. Your shape will be saved as an XML file that can be shared, but not in world. You'd have to email the XML file to whomever you're sharing it with. To apply it to your shape, go into the "Edit Shape" menu, at the very bottom is a button labeled "Import"; click that and locale the XML file. I've not tried it on a non transfer shape cos i don't buy shapes.

Best to make a new shape to do this with so you don't overwrite your daily wear shape.

Edited by Charalyne Blackwood
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 1/4/2022 at 12:22 PM, Charalyne Blackwood said:

Developer---->Avatar---->Character Tests---->Appearance to XML. Your shape will be saved as an XML file that can be shared, but not in world. You'd have to email the XML file to whomever you're sharing it with. To apply it to your shape, go into the "Edit Shape" menu, at the very bottom is a button labeled "Import"; click that and locale the XML file. I've not tried it on a non transfer shape cos i don't buy shapes.

Best to make a new shape to do this with so you don't overwrite your daily wear shape.

Thanks for that, I tried it out and it was really slick.  Turns out that I have nothing but no-transfer shapes cuz I must always begin with the starter shapes that come with mesh heads and bodies.  When I imported the XML shapes back into SL (no cost to it which is something else I wondered about) they were still no-transfer which surprised me as I was able to import the XML shapes to alt accounts too.  Interesting process and one I am happy to finally know about.  Thanks!

• Like 2

BTW when you export your shape it also includes settings for the eyebrow shaper (aka system hair). So, you can create a system hair and import those settings in the same way, from the same file. I make shapes for my store on my main because she has all the bodies and heads so this is a real time saver.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nalates Urriah said:

@Leora Greenwood When you get the XML file you can edit it. I make one copy without the head settings and another without the body settings. With a new head I can wear the default shape that comes with it. Then import the body shape (with no head settings) and combine the new head and the old body.

What program or app would you use to open the XML file?  My computer is clueless...  Edited:  oh, I see, once I googled it.  I still could not use Word but good, old Notepad worked.  I have not used Notepad in YEARS!  Thanks for the suggestion!

Edited by Leora Greenwood
just a doofus
  • Like 2

There is also the free program Dr Frank Shape Combiner that combines the XMLs of the body with another's head.  Very useful if you want to try a new head on your old body and get the poster-look for the head without the stupid SL-giantism that makes you 10 feet tall...

https://gitlab.com/Captain_Ai/dr-frank-shape-combiner_/-/releases

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

14 hours ago, Leora Greenwood said:

What program or app would you use to open the XML file?  My computer is clueless...  Edited:  oh, I see, once I googled it.  I still could not use Word but good, old Notepad worked.  I have not used Notepad in YEARS!  Thanks for the suggestion!

You can make editing XML files a bit easier by getting Notepad++. It adds color to the formatting, which lets you see the fields. The idea is to reduce editing mistakes.

image.thumb.png.08037d6a09ef8fa62c814d4f80e368f7.png

And Windows built in WordPad also works. But no nice formatting.

Edited by Nalates Urriah
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@Nalates Urriahis right, but there are quite a few text editors that have excellent XML highlighting, and good formatting.  As well as Notepad++, which as far as I know only runs on Windows, there is the excellent free Microsoft Visual Studio Code which I use on Linux for everything texty! (Gracias, Microsoft).

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Anna Nova said:

@Nalates Urriahis right, but there are quite a few text editors that have excellent XML highlighting, and good formatting.  As well as Notepad++, which as far as I know only runs on Windows, there is the excellent free Microsoft Visual Studio Code which I use on Linux for everything texty! (Gracias, Microsoft).

VSC is what I use as well for formatting code in Linux. I also use it at work for IT projects (mostly in Windows machines there, but some desktops run on Red Hat :) ).

If I want to be minimalist I use nano via midnight commander (mc).

• Like 1

On 1/8/2022 at 4:42 AM, Anna Nova said:

I use Scite (Scintilla) on Linux.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
13 minutes ago, Aggidil said:

Hello, 🙂

I would like to extract the displayed slider values from the Avatar Shape XML files of my old avatars.

Is there a kind of "grinder" that allows the automatic extraction of values?

Thanks in advance

Not that I know about.

You can export the old shape files with Firestorm as pointed out above. If you are a scriptwriter/programmer you can write a program to parse the data to extract what you want.

If you just want the sliders, you could open the shapes and screen capture the settings. Or just write down the values, as many people do for sharing shapes.

Edited by Nalates Urriah

On 1/4/2022 at 6:47 AM, Katherine Heartsong said:

You mean that when you create a shape you can't share it or give it to someone ?  I give mine to my alts and other people all the time.. Can even give them with full perms if I want..

I hope I'm not misunderstanding what you are meaning..

You could transfer any shape numbers to a brand new created shape and should be able to even give someone a shape with full perms..

Maybe i'm not understanding.. hehehe

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

You mean that when you create a shape you can't share it or give it to someone ?  I give mine to my alts and other people all the time.. Can even give them with full perms if I want..

I hope I'm not misunderstanding what you are meaning..

You could transfer any shape numbers to a brand new created shape and should be able to even give someone a shape with full perms..

Maybe i'm not understanding.. hehehe

Thanks, I figured out I could simply create a new shape and export that. Cool.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

Not that I know about.

You can export the old shape files with Firestorm as pointed out above. If you are a scriptwriter/programmer you can write a program to parse the data to extract what you want.

If you just want the sliders, you could open the shapes and screen capture the settings. Or just write down the values, as many people do for sharing shapes.

Thank you for your reply.

Yes of course copying the values manually is possible but tedious ...

I will have to learn how to make an extraction script in Python ... and this language will be useful for other things.

3 hours ago, Aggidil said:

Thank you for your reply.

Yes of course copying the values manually is possible but tedious ...

I will have to learn how to make an extraction script in Python ... and this language will be useful for other things.

Learning any programming language is a great investment in time.  Just thank God it isn't the 1960, and the only alternatives were COBOL and FORTRAN....  :P

• Like 1

On 1/4/2022 at 11:22 AM, Charalyne Blackwood said:

Thank you so much for posting this, I'd always assumed it was just for exporting a shape to use in Blender or similar, and I had never put 2 and 2 together that you could export a shape and let someone else import it as their own. *facepalms*

Learn something new every day~!

• Like 1

On 1/4/2022 at 8:33 AM, Katherine Heartsong said:

Thanks!

And I feel a bit of a fool, since I sell stuff on the MP and have to set those permissions for my artworks. Silly me.

also make sure you are not currently wearing it . then send to marketplace. or drag it to your friends profile.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 432 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.