The "notes" section in your profile.

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 989 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm waiting for SL to have a glitch and ends up showing those to everyone! Be a lot more excitement then everyone fighting for the last existing beer on the planet!

Sometimes I use notes to store things I'll forget, unrelated to anything on the person. My man uses those to put the person's favourite songs during his DJ sets.

• Haha 5

9 minutes ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

I'm waiting for SL to have a glitch and ends up showing those to everyone! Be a lot more excitement then everyone fighting for the last existing beer on the planet!

Sometimes I use notes to store things I'll forget, unrelated to anything on the person. My man uses those to put the person's favourite songs during his DJ sets.

I remember back in like 2007 or so , when they had a glitch like that with groups.. Anyone could see your hidden groups. 

I didn't know it happened until after it happened, but I remember someone telling me they got in a word of trouble with thier partner because of it..

It was a long time ago,so I can't remember much more than that about it. 

I bet all people had to do was get a wiff that that was going on and probably had people running to others profiles, like someone shot off a starter pistol.. hehehe 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

I didn't know that notes could be so useful for people. Maybe I'll start using it more often.

For me they are very useful because I meet many people with whom, however, I do not exchange friendships and therefore I often do not remember them.
High-level builders or programmers specializing in specific aspects of functions.
But it is above all useful in the sophisticated environment of the Bushido SL ART where I note the typical strategies of that warrior and the type of attitude of him in the discipline and in the level of honor.
When I meet one that I haven't put a note on it means either that it's a new challenge or that it wasn't worth doing.
Sometimes I copy a conversation piece into it even so that I can remember on what occasion we met.
But I never use this feature to write negative things about people who have despicable attitudes.
It's not worth it because those kinds of people are occasional episodes that only happen once and most of the time I block them. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tama Suki said:

sophisticated

hope you realize that the ones that use that kind of words often .. rarely are above the level of a Hyacinth Bucket

1 hour ago, Tama Suki said:

It's not worth it because those kinds of people are occasional episodes

not worth it
those kind of people
occasional episodes

lol... and some  tell me that i'm rude.... :SwingingFriends:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

not worth it
those kind of people
occasional episodes

I absolutely did not want to express some feelings of hostility towards someone present in the thread and certainly not towards the author of the post (honestly).
I apologize if I gave this impression.

Hyacinth Bucket

I had the opportunity to fully explore this term that I did not know and thanks to you I was able to expand a little my knowledge of a different culture to mine.
I really appreciate it, thank you.
I think there is also a strong reference to the BBC play called "Keeping Up Appearances" (hilarious 😂 ).
But no, honestly no.
In a certain sense it could be but only intended as a playful attitude and certainly not with a "bitchies" spirit (as I am allowed to interpret this other Anglo-American word of which I have only a few basic rudiments).
I'd probably like to relate to that beautiful art form of American back and forth rappers.
But I think mine can be understood more as the language of an ignoramus who tries to express common concepts in a language he doesn't know well.

kind of words

So if I am allowed I would like to ask you not to interpret the words I use in that sense.
Obviously there is an attempt of mine to give an elegant look, but I do it purely with aesthetic intention which I hope can be interpreted that way.
I open several google translator windows before articulating a speech or a simple answer and I am always fascinated by the translation of my language. Partly because of the translator glitch and partly because I open many authoritative sites starting from Wikipedia that explain to me why certain terms in my language cannot really be translated the way I intended.
Obviously we are in a forum of some kind of RPG and however you want to play it in the end SL remains something like that.

3 hours ago, Tama Suki said:

the sophisticated environment of the Bushido SL ART

It is a rather spartan world.
For this reason, when you meet warriors who show an attitude of awareness and discipline, the fight turns into a Cha no yu.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm an ADHD baby, my memory and I aren't always on speaking term.

Notes are essential. If LL depreciate the feature, you can be safely assured that TPVs will add it right back with locally stored files.

Personally, I do a lot of viewer / general tech support and being able to quickly follow up on a problem or not need to ask about hardware or go searching though logs is a life saver.

Not to mention all the usual names, dates, contact details, emergency stuff, RP status and everything else.

Sometimes I do just write "idiot" ...

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I don’t understand how the Notes section is any different than a post it note about you that I might stick on my desk, or a thought about you I might carry in my head. Back when phone books were popular, did you worry that someone might highlight your name in it?

The main difference, is that if you open that tab in SL where it shows you all the nearby avatars, or the recent ones, etc. there is a little item that shows wich avatars you made notes for. (at least in firestorm).

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, StarlanderGoods said:

The main difference, is that if you open that tab in SL where it shows you all the nearby avatars, or the recent ones, etc. there is a little item that shows wich avatars you made notes for. (at least in firestorm).

Only you can see that for your notes. Others see it for their notes. You will not see it for other people's notes.

This is not a feature that alters the way others experience SL in any way. That is a hill LL is willing to die on. Approved TPVs are not allowed to add features that alter everyone's SL experience without prior permission from LL first. 

I'm not the right person to explain it to you. It's been years since @Jessica Lyon explained it to me. It's a bit convoluted but what it boils down to is approved TPVs can't just add in whatever they want. There is a process and certain things are not allowed.

• Like 2

The notes section is awesome. When I meet someone new I always note where, when, and how I’ve met them and in what context (roleplay, business, music, general conversation, etc.). But I’ve only started doing that around 2017. Wish I did that right from the get-go when I first started in SL because there are still some friends on my list that I have no idea who they are or how/where we’ve met. Oops. 

Pro tip: Use the notes section to jot down where & when you’ve met someone and in what context. Makes SLife a lot easier. 

• Like 3

I don't have notes on people I talk to a lot, but I add notes for people I don't think I'll see very much. The bad notes are where someone has harassed, griefed or otherwise done something bad to someone. As well as making sure I don't forget it, this means they can't just change their name to pretend they're someone else.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

In your profile, there is an about tab where a section called 'notes' lets someone write anything they want and you cannot see it. This has always bothered me because it's like someone taping a paper on your back that says 'kick me'. Does anyone know about this and how do you feel that there is a place where every single resident of SL can write something that sticks to your profile and they can see it every time. Should this be allowed? I mean some people go nuts when they find a vampire has taken their soul which basically means their name is in a bloodlines database but aren't these profile notes part of your profile in the Second Life database? What if someone wrote, "Your soul is mine" in the notes? You'd  never know. I mean what's even the point of it. I've never used it at all and don't see the need. Maybe LL needs to make these notes visible to the person who owns the profile.

I used to use those to keep track of land purchased or sold. Occasionally I would put a note on a person about when they rented, or if they were a griefer. Then it got to be a bother and I ceased doing it years and years ago.

I also thought it was the thing of thing that would get hacked or glitched some day and like the diary of Harriet the Spy, would come out in public and then it would be the "knight of the long knives."

On 1/4/2022 at 1:23 AM, Bree Giffen said:

In your profile, there is an about tab where a section called 'notes' lets someone write anything they want and you cannot see it. This has always bothered me because it's like someone taping a paper on your back that says 'kick me'. Does anyone know about this and how do you feel that there is a place where every single resident of SL can write something that sticks to your profile and they can see it every time. Should this be allowed? I mean some people go nuts when they find a vampire has taken their soul which basically means their name is in a bloodlines database but aren't these profile notes part of your profile in the Second Life database? What if someone wrote, "Your soul is mine" in the notes? You'd  never know. I mean what's even the point of it. I've never used it at all and don't see the need. Maybe LL needs to make these notes visible to the person who owns the profile.

I use the notes section regularly; usually to remind me if I've met a person before and where. Or why I added them to my friends list, if I did so.  It's useful.

I use my own notes section too, I have a handful of favourite music stream urls in there, some info about my land (the location of the parcel centre for example) and a reminder of my Premium renewal date. 

Edited by Maitimo
  • Like 2

The Notes section is handy for keeping a record of a full name change that a friend or aquaintance has had. Those embarrassing "how do I know you?", or "why/how are we friends?" and "who's this unfamiliar and questionably named person in my friends list?" questions that most of us have had since Change Names became a thing, should be easier to solve when adding the person's more familiar and former name to the Notes section. 

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 2

On 1/4/2022 at 8:24 AM, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

My man uses those to put the person's favourite songs during his DJ sets.

I know a DJ who I'm sure does exactly that. If I request a song, you can bet that she'll play it not only this time, but every subsequent time that I show up at her sets. She's still playing a song for me that I requested more than a year ago. 😏

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Maitimo said:

I know a DJ who I'm sure does exactly that. If I request a song, you can bet that she'll play it not only this time, but every subsequent time that I show up at her sets. She's still playing a song for me that I requested more than a year ago. 😏

That would bug me. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 989 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.