Next-owner perms delayed setting due to *contents* of object???

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 816 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just curious if anyone has seen or can explain this one:

I was debugging someone else's creation that was failing to do a basic rez object/llAttachToAvatarTemp of a prop, and discovered that the problem was caused by a script inside the prop that was set to No Transfer (The prop object itself was next owner Copy/Transfer) . It would work for me (as the "next owner" after the creator) but not for a third party avatar using the product owned now by me. Obvious enough, but...

...the prop itself shows up only as No Modify in the source object, and in my inventory if I take it out of that object. As such it took a while for me to understand why it was failing; it looked transferable until I rezzed it and looked inside, to see the script set with No Transfer.

I can give a copy of the object from my inventory (pulled out of the source object) to the third party, so the No Transfer is definitely not effective at that point.

If I rez the prop in world and take it back, it now gets the No Transfer permissions, being the least permissive. Clearly the same happens when rezzed by the script in the source object, and so the subsequent attach attempt now fails.

Now, I know about objects themselves not getting permissions set on them if done in inventory, until they are rezzed, but I've never encountered this case before. I cannot understand how the script could be put in the object, either with No Transfer on the script to begin with or set that way once inside the prop, without the prop instantly becoming Next Owner No Transfer as well. You can't put a script in the object while it's in inventory, either your own or an objects. So... how can this happen?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@tomm55Sorry for the late reply - I'm not getting reply notifications on my threads! I thought no-one had answered.

Hmm... I'm not sure about that. How do you create an item that can be next owner transfered, with a next owner, no transfer script? (except by it being mod perms thus letting the next owner remove the script, leaving the object overall as transfer but lacking the script, which is cheating, lol). I guess you're missing the point of my post ;) - I know I can create and sell things with a no-transfer script in them.

Anyway, I've discovered a very odd behaviour in the perms... I really think LL has fiddled with something.

For the above: The object in question is a rezzable (should have copy/transfer perms) prop in some furniture. The creator made a simple mistake of setting the AVobject script no transfer, so it cannot be transferred to any user other than the owner. Fine... but the object still shows up in the furniture's inventory, and mine if I take it out, as Transferable! It's only when rezzed in world (by the furniture, or by me) that the object then gets the (delayed) No-Transfer perms on itself as a whole. If I don't rez it, I can give it to other avatars from my inventory, so it really is transferable up until it's rezzed.

What I can't figure is how you could put a no-transfer script in something, or set it no-transfer after dropping it in, and not have the object itself immediately pick up the No-Transfer.

The other thing I saw, which seems related but was on something I was doing myself is... I had made a lot of mesh items that I was putting on the MP. I use an alt account to list them, so I passed them to that account as full perms, in a box. On the alt, I rezzed the box and changed the permissions on the objects to no-trans by using the permissions button in the edit/contents box. Fine so far...

When I (the alt, that is) took the contents of the box into inventory to list them individually, they showed up as next-owner no-trans as expected and no restrictions were shown for my alt. As soon as I tried to put one in a vendor though, or rez one on the ground, its permissions changed to No-Transfer for my alt! Yet, they were passed to my alt as full perm

I checked this so many times thinking I was passing them on with the wrong permissions - my mesh is set to full perm when I upload it with the viewer so I usually don't even have to think about this.

tl;dr: Objects passed to my alt definitely as full perms, changed to No-Trans for that alt if the alt changed them to next ownner No-Trans while in a box, and then rezzed them out. Weird!

Note that rezzing them out first (the alt that is), then changing permissions to No-Trans individually worked as expected. They remained full perms for the alt. Also note that I've been doing things this way for ten years, lol.

Edited by Rick Daylight

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 816 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.