What can I send as proof in a ticket of harassment?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 818 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Quick question : can you submit screenshots and video in an AR ticket to Linden Labs when writing in for an issue? I’ve been collecting video and images for a few months of a group of people bullying me and I just want to know what I can send in.

Today was finally the last straw. 

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, Feorie Frimon said:

Quick question : can you submit screenshots and video in an AR ticket to Linden Labs when writing in for an issue? I’ve been collecting video and images for a few months of a group of people bullying me and I just want to know what I can send in.

An AR filed in-world allows you to submit one image or screen shot. I don't think there is the provision for more than one, or for video. (I may be wrong about the latter, but maybe a Gyazo link?)

Unfortunately, I don't think LL will spend a great deal of time investigating in any case, so I doubt they'd look at more than one. Make sure that what you submit is the most compelling evidence you have available.

• Like 1

Just now, Scylla Rhiadra said:

An AR filed in-world allows you to submit one image or screen shot. I don't think there is the provision for more than one, or for video. (I may be wrong about the latter, but maybe a Gyazo link?)

Unfortunately, I don't think LL will spend a great deal of time investigating in any case, so I doubt they'd look at more than one. Make sure that what you submit is the most compelling evidence you have available.

Thanks! This one is gonna be a doozy. 😜

• Like 3

If you really wanted to submit multiple images, maybe something like imgur would help? You don't even need an account, just click "new post" at the top left corner and you can start choosing files to upload -- as many as you want -- and it puts them all together in an album, which you could link to in the report.

image.png.06cd4f1b42a3ce7a6e6f18dabc5a2866.png

You can even submit video through here but there's a limit I believe... only up to 1 or 2 minutes I think, and under a certain file size. You could always try it and it'll tell you if it doesn't meet the video upload requirements. :P As long as you have a YouTube account (even just a google account) you could always upload the video as Unlisted, meaning it doesn't show up publicly and the only way to find it is through a direct link, which you could post in your report.

That's the easiest method I could think of, if you want to submit everything you've collected. Sorry to hear you've been having so much trouble!

• Thanks 2

On 1/1/2022 at 9:00 PM, Feorie Frimon said:

The reason I started a blog years ago is that these ARs don't work at all.

You can actually file multiple ARs on the same subject, they don't mind that, attaching screenshots and putting in URLs to outside content on the way. And if this is some technical matter like strange error messages about media always occuring on a sim, they are happy to look at all of them in an AR if it involves a suspected perpetrator or even on a Support ticket, which has more scope for text and additional notecards, pictures, etc.

But something complex like this is impossible to get them to look at in any form. That is, for form's sake, you can file it as a full Support ticket. Also when I had scores of people making avatars named "Kill Prokofy" and sending me death threats with pictures of my RL home and saying they "saw me carrying an umbrella the other day" when it was raining, I reported them to the FBI's Internet Center, and to Lindens as well, without much effect. I would write short notecards to whoemever was in charge of Governance saying that ARs and Support tickets can't tell the story, here it is (no bigger than your hand). These may be ignored, but it can sometimes signal to Lindens that they need to stop letting their wunderkind behave so badly.

You can even try writing security@lindenlab if you think it involves actual bad actors like hackers and real-life thieves. But they ignore it all. If it looks at all like any kind of resident-to-resident dispute, as you know, under the TOS, they refuse to get involved. They will say you have ban and eject powers, so you are not required to suffer bullies. That there are all kinds of amazingly ingenious ways to bully people without actually intruding on land is something they "get" at some level, but given the history of some of the Lindens themselves taking part in this sort of more sophisticated activity (Pathfinder in the IRC channel, anyone?), you cannot get anywhere with this sort of thing.

Outside blogs are a very important part of SL because LL cannot control them, they cannot police outside their servers. They can and do find other ways to punish you for this, chief of which is to spread the version of the story that you are a complainer, a trouble-maker, a malcontent, someone jealous of content creators better than you, blah blah.

Publicity is a great weapon. Glasnost. Andrei Sakharov conceived of and used this term 30 years before Mikhail Gorbachev did, and was willing to suffer untold oppression in exile in Gorky for 7 years. Now of course all that sacrifice that paid off is now being rolled back. Still...it's all we have, in Russia, and in SL.

If RL media picks up your writings, so much the better, that can work wonders. But usually RL media ignores the inner turmoil of SL and its "domestic issues."

Then there's this, from Jacek Kuron, a founder of Poland's Solidarity: "Don't burn down Party Committees' build your own."

That is, make your own way, your own communities, creations, etc. as you have already been doing very successfully, and don't seek recognition or cooperation from the Lindens and their chosen FIC.

I know it may seem hard to believe, but over the 18 years I have observed them, the Lindens have generally changed for the better. They have become less radical, less crazily ideological (with ideologies ranging from technocommunism  to Cosmic Engineering humanism and Randian technolibertarianism), less prone to play favourites, more fair, more carring of basic requests from the mass of customers. It's never going to be Wendy's. It's never going to be your corner drugstore. It's a subset of the Devil's Workshop, after all, the Internet. Still...

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 2

On 1/1/2022 at 6:00 PM, Feorie Frimon said:

You would be better off filing a support ticket so you can provide them with all the evidence in one go. Saves them from having to ask for more. That's not to say don't file an AR. That is to say follow up with a support ticket and reference the AR.

LL won't normally get involved in resident disputes but in cases of definite harassment they will step in depending on the severity.

No matter what, you will never know the outcome. LL does not disclose individual punishment.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker

Inworld AR's do nothing. I've added in an image url once linking to my own web server with tracking. Nobody ever clicked it. As previously stated, you might be better off filing a support ticket.

To LL, In case you're reading. I've done this a couple of times. I link to images and video files on my own web server for you to click. I can then see if you actually did, you never did... ;) 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, CaithLynnSayes said:

Inworld AR's do nothing. I've added in an image url once linking to my own web server with tracking. Nobody ever clicked it. As previously stated, you might be better off filing a support ticket.

To LL, In case you're reading. I've done this a couple of times. I link to images and video files on my own web server for you to click. I can then see if you actually did, you never did... ;) 

In most business environments that is called "spearfishing".

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

When we report abuse to LL we get an auto-replay with a thanks and sorry. Yeah, we would all like to hear back from LL with something more concrete, like Avatar X has been banned from your region. But to protect resident privacy, LL is unlikely to let us know the outcome of whatever action they take or don't take. It's something like filing a complaint about a coworker with your employer's Human Resources dept. Your coworker may be put on notice or disciplined somehow, but you won't be told about it.

• Like 2

There are also a good many people who file AR when they are not actually being abused - someone disagreeing with you, disliking you or stealing your BF is not abuse. Granted if that person then turn to stalking or serial BF stealing then it (probably) crosses the line.

LL do investigate all AR's and it helps if you can be concise and factual.

Remember though if you are the subject of abuse to never respond - that's what the abuser wants - they want to see you get upset. Allow them to spew their nonsense - do not reply to them at all. Then block them and send the AR - do not even tell them you have sent the AR as that will let them know they got to you. Ignore them totally no matter what they do or say to your friends either in open chat or via IM (they can't speak to you ask you blocked them right?).

Edited by Kyle Blackwood
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 818 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.