Gestures.

Tama Suki

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 148 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Disagreeing with an opinion is not a personal dispute.

Gestures have their place in communication.  There is a time and place for using them, though.  It is a very casual way of communicating and works well with friends who also like to communicate that way.  I once watched 2 friends have an entire conversation using nothing but memes.  It went on for over a hundred comments and I was able to follow along just fine because I knew the people and knew their intent and was comfortable assigning tone to each comment.

Communicating for your audience is important, though.  You wouldn't go to a science lecture inworld and start popping off farting gestures or scream *****TUNEZZZZZZZ**** at an inworld art gallery showing. (or maybe you would, but it may get you booted pretty quickly as a troll with nothing to add)

Communicating exclusively through gestures is a bit much and can be perceived as insulting in the wrong company or setting.  That may be your intent.  I have no idea what you really think aside from the fact that this post has been going on long enough for you to start attacking those with differing opinions and accuse them of trolling or being mean for expressing theirs.

PS Inviting people to a sandbox so you can shoot them or orbit them is a bit immature.  Use your words.

Edited by Cinnamon Mistwood
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BranScanlon said:

and worldview bump up against another,

I believe that the misunderstanding with many is manifested in what you have written here.
"bump up against another" has no meaning to me.
If I find myself talking to a stranger there is a reason of common interest. At that point, if the person is interested in what I say and doesn't like expressing himself with gesture, I think he can be open-minded and intelligent enough to be tolerant of me.
Formal language is flawed. The formal language between two different cultures is even more so.
I admit that my technique can rightly be considered rudimentary, but it is also susceptible to surprising qualities.

Edited by Tama Suki

1 hour ago, Tama Suki said:

Thanks for the usual effective and original contribution.
I would just like to ask not to put it personally and to intervene only in a profitable way for everyone.
It has happened recently that many highly authoritative contributions have been deleted as irrelevant.
I wouldn't want anyone to think that I report. Never made a single one in my life on this forum as some think.

His post actually is on point and I share his view on people who consistently use gestures.  Mute.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Disagreeing with an opinion is not a personal dispute.

Gestures have their place in communication.  There is a time and place for using them, though.  It is a very casual way of communicating and works well with friends who also like to communicate that way.  I once watched 2 friends have an entire conversation using nothing but memes.  It went on for over a hundred comments and I was able to follow along just fine because I knew the people and knew their intent and was comfortable assigning tone to each comment.

Communicating for your audience is important, though.  You wouldn't go to a science lecture inworld and start popping off farting gestures or scream *****TUNEZZZZZZZ**** at an inworld art gallery showing. (or maybe you would, but it may get you booted pretty quickly as a troll with nothing to add)

Communicating exclusively through gestures is a bit much and can be perceived as insulting in the wrong company or setting.  That may be your intent.  I have no idea what you really think aside from the fact that this post has been going on long enough for you to start attacking those with differing opinions and accuse them of trolling or being mean for expressing theirs.

PS Inviting people to a sandbox so you can shoot them or orbit them is a bit immature.  Use your words.

My dear friend I would very much like to tell you about the daring adventures that I experienced when I was born in SL in Japan Resort and when I was adopted by a herd of Japanese trolls. They taught me a lot.
They taught me a lot. Above all, the honor and loyalty of the brotherhood.
But then, over time, I realized that for some elements those principles were just a subtle form of deception.
The best of that group helped me understand this and then came out leaving me with their last folder of rare gestures.
Then I understood and thanked them for not excluding me from their lonely path.
Theravādin believe that each individual is personally responsible for his own awakening and liberation, each being responsible for his own actions and their consequences.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Tama Suki said:

My dear friend I would very much like to tell you about the daring adventures that I experienced when I was born in SL in Japan Resort and when I was adopted by a herd of Japanese trolls. They taught me a lot.
But then, over time, I realized that for some elements those principles were just a subtle form of deception.
The best of that group helped me understand this and then came out leaving me with their last folder of rare gestures.
Theravādin believe that each individual is personally responsible for his own awakening and liberation, each being responsible for his own actions and their consequences.

I have no idea what you're trying to say to me.  I read it a couple times.  You've brought up your Japanese troll upbringing and Twitter background several times in other threads to excuse some behavior or another, but I don't understand what you are saying here.

I agree that gestures have their place, but it's not everywhere and every situation.

• Like 3

I believe that the kind of issues I have encountered so far are irrelevant because in the context in which we find ourselves at this moment they can only be referred to the selfishness of some who unfortunately are educated to live in a very limited bubble of awareness.
Of course it goes without saying that I am not referring to you.

25 minutes ago, Tama Suki said:

I believe that the misunderstanding with many is manifested in what you have written here.
"bump up against another" has no meaning to me.
If I find myself talking to a stranger there is a reason of common interest. At that point, if the person is interested in what I say and doesn't like expressing himself with gesture, I think he can be open-minded and intelligent enough to be tolerant of me.
Formal language is flawed. The formal language between two different cultures is even more so.
I admit that my technique can rightly be considered rudimentary, but it is also susceptible to surprising qualities.

7 minutes ago, Tama Suki said:

This is all very fascinating, but the problem here is when de-constructuralism of signifiers runs headlong into the problematics of individuated sociality.

I, as an individual, with a conscious mind and the ability to perceive, need to negotiate my space with others, who equally possess the same qualities. A pejorative view of others ability to perceive and negotiate their space may occasionally work to insulate or perhaps even to rationalize behaviors towards them, but it doesn't delete or negate their perception of the thing being communicated.

The other voices that speak are in fact the products of other conscious minds, and sometimes that is very difficult to understand. Their experience of a moment is just as valid as another's, and so we're always negotiating the corners of what we think it means to be an individual who must deal with other individuals.

While I can understand a view of the flaws of formal languages, I believe them still our lingua franca. We speak in tongues, because the nuts and bolts of word tied to meaning enable us to understand when we may have said something hurtful, or helpful, or have no impact at all. They are our primary way of negotiating those spaces. I can see how one can explore gestures as a way to examine and call into question the necessity of language, but I don't see how "trolling" fits into that particular deconstruction. When I say that some might bump up against the barrier, I hope you understand that I am speaking about those who might take offense to not being able to communicate, regardless of whether the communication was initiated with common purpose or no. That offense is valid simply by its existence: the other individual is an individual, who is at this time experiencing the same moment through a different lens.

Maybe I've gone far afield here. But I hope that makes sense.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, BranScanlon said:

individuated sociality

Are you talking about that game called Second Life?
We are referring to this.

When I went to Japan for the first time with my rudiments of their language, I wouldn't have dreamed of making myself understood through gestures.

If I had, I would probably have been forcibly transported to a mental home.

Edited by Tama Suki

5 minutes ago, Tama Suki said:

I have great respect for indigenous communities and would never allow myself to go and destabilize their traditions.

Which has nothing whatsoever to do with what I said.  Please try to keep your posts within the topic of the thread.  

25 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I consider them all noobish.  Everyone I know considers them noobish.  

20 minutes ago, Tama Suki said:

I have great respect for indigenous communities and would never allow myself to go and destabilize their traditions.

15 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Which has nothing whatsoever to do with what I said.  Please try to keep your posts within the topic of the thread.  

10 minutes ago, Tama Suki said:

I ask you to be indulgent towards me, in addition to the cultural gap I believe there is a certain feeling of embarrassing attraction that I am beginning to feel towards you.

Excuse me for communicating with a meme, but...

external-content.duckduckgo.png.9cda86bfbe7e7b703f2c2ff9ac874dcf.png

• Haha 5

Do you see Cinnamon?
In this case, you have expressed your position through a meme that conveys hostility.
You must understand, my friend, that you can free yourself from this kind of cheap language which is certainly due to your traumatic experience with social media.
You will never find this kind of attitude in my communication.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

Camera based avatar expressiveness?

It;s unclear whether they meant your idea (Which I like) or if they meant webcam tracking your face so your avatar can make similar expressions (Which I don't like, but if they actually did it competently (unlikely) it would be a useful tool for things the cool kids are doing, and the cool kids would probably bring in new users. . .)

Edited by Quistess Alpha
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tama Suki said:

Do you see Cinnamon?
In this case, you have expressed your position through a meme that conveys hostility.
You must understand, my friend, that you can free yourself from this kind of cheap language which is certainly due to your traumatic experience with social media.
You will never find this kind of attitude in my communication.

That's because the moderators keep removing it.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

This guy can't be serious.  Lol?  Excuse me while I cringe out of existence.  

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 148 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.