I like SL working like it did, in say... 2008.

DoctorEigen Flow

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 841 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Not the errors and crashes but the build emphasis was better.  Nowadays,  I dislike all the ban lines and the no build areas.  Back then the central ethic was to build, not to chat.

We should have limited rez times as default, rather than no rez areas.  

Rez oceans should connect the sim islands.  Build, build, build!  

I also keep pushing Linden for 'sideways' sims, 4096 x 256 on the ground, and 256 tall.  They keep telling me it's too much for their intellectual capacity, but I still think they should invest in that sim shape.  I fly, a lot, and I want to fly for 4096 meters, rather than for only 256 meters.  I've offered to buy 4 of those but... 'no', so far.

Let's make a deal with 'Home Depot', for a real shopping sim, then expand from there.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, DoctorEigen Flow said:

Not the errors and crashes but the build emphasis was better.  Nowadays,  I dislike all the ban lines and the no build areas.  Back then the central ethic was to build, not to chat.

But we don't build like we did in 2008.

We build with industry standard tools and workflows.

You're free to ignore the advancements the platform has made, but don't for one second think you're going to get anyone to cast off their new toys to quietly admire your prims. SL has always been a social place first and foremost, building has always catered to that need, not the other way around.

Or you know, opensim .. don't have to worry about other people talking there ;)

We should have limited rez times as default, rather than no rez areas.  

You can do with your land as you like, same as it has always been.

I pay for my land, and I would rather you didn't use it as a free sandbox, or buzz it with low flying aircraft.

Rez oceans should connect the sim islands.  Build, build, build! 

and who pays for these always on water logged sandbox regions stretching out forever, you do realize that would be more regions than islands?

I also keep pushing Linden for 'sideways' sims, 4096 x 256 on the ground, and 256 tall.  They keep telling me it's too much for their intellectual capacity, but I still think they should invest in that sim shape.  I fly, a lot, and I want to fly for 4096 meters, rather than for only 256 meters.  I've offered to buy 4 of those but... 'no', so far.

Opensim does all of this.

Alternatively, if you made a plane and land to fly over at one sixteenth scale, would that not be indistinguishable from flying 4096

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

if you made a plane and land to fly over at one sixteenth scale, would that not be indistinguishable from flying 4096

An interesting point, two things I learned from Railway Modelling that do not scale well are clearances, and time...

I don't subscribe to the current "time is an illusion" craze, but I do believe the experience of time is subjective. A plane at low altitude needs the landscape whizzing past, a reduction to 40% isn't going to give the feeling of living right on the edge.

5 hours ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

An interesting point, two things I learned from Railway Modelling that do not scale well are clearances, and time...

I don't subscribe to the current "time is an illusion" craze, but I do believe the experience of time is subjective. A plane at low altitude needs the landscape whizzing past, a reduction to 40% isn't going to give the feeling of living right on the edge.

In a virtual space, it's all just math. Get the math right and scale is whatever you say it is. 

It was arbitrary from the outset anyway.

I assumed larger regions would be difficult to reconcile with all the scripted functions that expect a region to always be 256x256 horizontally. I do wonder though if a possible workaround would be to emulate the appearance of multiple adjacent 256x256 regions on a single SIM. For all outward appearances to users and scripts, it would look like a collection of connected traditional regions - but under the hood, they're all on the same SIM and the mechanism for transferring agents/objects between these virtual regions is streamlined since it's not actually transferring them to a different host. (Not trying to trivialize the undertaking it would be to set that up, just thinking out loud)

On 12/31/2021 at 12:21 PM, Coffee Pancake said:

In a virtual space, it's all just math. Get the math right and scale is whatever you say it is. 

I have a pipe dream of making a few games within SL like this that make heavy use of miniature vehicles and scaled terrain to simulate a larger play area. But one of the barriers that I'm facing is that the pilot's physics shape is larger than the vehicle itself. It would be so helpful if we could temporarily alter or disable a seated avatar's collision shape.

On 12/31/2021 at 1:12 AM, DoctorEigen Flow said:

I also keep pushing Linden for 'sideways' sims, 4096 x 256 on the ground, and 256 tall.

I like the way you think a lot. Would think it would not be difficult to set a regional avatar orentation; make the z axis y or x for avatar orentation. That would open sl up to bigger better faster games for vehicle racing or dog fighting, horseback riding, boating without having to cross region border and having vehicle malfunction. Y for avatar up and down Z replaces Y. Otherwise its just almost 5k meters of lag free nothingness. 

• Haha 1

On 12/31/2021 at 1:34 AM, Coffee Pancake said:

Alternatively, if you made a plane and land to fly over at one sixteenth scale, would that not be indistinguishable from flying 4096

I like playing tiny animal avatars because it gives the sense of lot more space, my little doggie runs about 75 mph and I just run around and around in circles avoiding region lines, same with my little drone would love to be able to fly for 5000ish meters before I had to turn around. 

Edited by Paulsian
goof

Hmm, being able to change "gravity" could facilitate many uses.  Would be nice to be able to change the acceleration vector direction in addition to the acceleration vector magnitude.  That might enable the use cases mentioned here.

Scaling down the size of everything in the simulator is a fine idea.  I have seen it done successfully but am not aware of any current installations to cite as examples.  I suppose you can use just about any scaling factor you want until numerical precision becomes an issue.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 841 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.