Increase Prim Limit on Linden Land?

Orka Kiyori

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 597 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Mercedes Avon said:

Yes, Linden Homes are starter homes I suppose, but they are also a premium benefit. I think paying premium members deserve more benefits for their money because to be honest, if I didn't use a Linden home I would downgrade my accounts (and have done just that in the recent past) and go back to a free account because the remaining benefits are not worth the cost to me.

The fact is that a premium membership only costs $8.25 a month. Consider the fact that they give you $6.93 worth of L's a month (300L's a week x 52/12 = 1300L per month approx) that brings the cost of a premium membership to a whopping  $1.32/month + a free home with a prim limit which makes it worth more than $8.25/month. So LL is actually losing money selling premium accounts.  If you went back to a free account LL would actually be making more money than if you stayed premium.  

Unless my math is WAY off. I did flunk math in high school so it may be. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. LOL

Edited by Sam1 Bellisserian
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

The fact is that a premium membership only costs $8.25 a month. Consider the fact that they give you $6.93 worth of L's a month (300L's a week x 52/12 = 1300L per month approx) that brings the cost of a premium membership to a whopping  $1.32/month + a free home with a prim limit which makes it worth more than $8.25/month. So LL is actually losing money selling premium accounts.  SO, if you went back to a free account LL would actually be making more money than if you stayed premium.  

Unless my math is WAY off. I did flunk math in high school so it may be. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. LOL

I was actually working this math out in my head earlier. I think a good way to look at it is 'per region'. If they only make $1.32 a month off each resident, you have to think about how many residents are on each region.

For Linden Homes, quick math says:

65,536 sqm (size of a region) / 1,024 sqm (enough for one resident's Linden Home) = 64 residents per region

This gives us a gross of $84.48 per month, or $1,013.76 a year per region. 

So it’s actually $1,013.76 X the number of regions in Belli - which is alot of regions. 

When I broke down the math for Mainland, Private Regions, and Linden Homes - Linden Homes makes almost double what the others make, but it’s not instant. It grows significantly over time - and you can see the best outcome after a full year.

4 minutes ago, Feorie Frimon said:

I was actually working this math out in my head earlier. I think a good way to look at it is 'per region'. If they only make $1.32 a month off each resident, you have to think about how many residents are on each region.

65,536 sqm (size of a region) / 1,024 sqm (enough for one resident's Linden Home) = 64 residents per region

So it’s actually $1,013.76 X the number of regions in Belli - which is alot of regions. 

When I broke down the math for Mainland, Private Regions, and Linden Homes - Linden Homes makes almost double what the others make, but it’s not instant. It grows significantly over time - and you can see the best outcome after a full year.

Your math is good. With they way they’ve packed the regions now, it’s a profit. They’re not losing money per region at all, even with stipend. Most people end up spending it in SL and not cashing that out. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

The fact is that a premium membership only costs $8.25 a month. Consider the fact that they give you $6.93 worth of L's a month (300L's a week x 52/12 = 1300L per month approx) that brings the cost of a premium membership to a whopping  $1.32/month + a free home with a prim limit which makes it worth more than $8.25/month. So LL is actually losing money selling premium accounts.  If you went back to a free account LL would actually be making more money than if you stayed premium.  

Your last line made me LOL, too cute!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, yestothis said:

Your math is good. With they way they’ve packed the regions now, it’s a profit. They’re not losing money per region at all, even with stipend. Most people end up spending it in SL and not cashing that out. 

Yeah, it gets really depressing (for me, as a Mainlander) when you start comparing those numbers for Mainland and Private regions too. Linden Homes -is- the most profitable as far as I can tell. 

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Feorie Frimon said:

Yes but I was simply going off what a resident's cost was AND you failed to consider what the costs of those regions are. It's just not plopping down a region and calling it a day. They have to create everything in the region, landscape the region and hire staff to provide support $1,013 per year doesn't even pay a salary for one person for a month.  Possibly 2 weeks if they are making $17/hour. That's one person per region for 2 weeks pay for a whole year to do all that work.  

Face it. We are getting a bargain. You can't hardly buy one month of one streaming service for $8.25/month let alone a monthly subscription to a game.  The sims online was more than that when it was at it's peak.

Edited by Sam1 Bellisserian
  • Like 1

I am not arguing whether it is a bargain or not, but it is no longer a bargain if I move off Belliserria to upgrade myself out of a starter home. I buy premium for the bargain and niceness of the Linden Homes. I LOVE THEM! However, if I did not live there, none of the other benefits are worth the $11.99 a month to me.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Feorie Frimon said:

The math is perhaps a little TOO quick.  There are actually about about 22-32 homes per fully settled region, not 64.   (There is lots of landscaping/water/roads in Belli).  There are also coastal regions with many fewer homes per region (my houseboat's region has 5 homes total; my Vic's region has 11 total homes).  Plus each theme has unoccupied 'park' regions and usually a community center as well; and there are full water regions to fill out some of the waterways.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Mercedes Avon said:

I am not arguing whether it is a bargain or not, but it is no longer a bargain if I move off Belliserria to upgrade myself out of a starter home. I buy premium for the bargain and niceness of the Linden Homes. I LOVE THEM! However, if I did not live there, none of the other benefits are worth the $11.99 a month to me.

This is true for many folks.  By the same token, many folks have commented in various threads that the Linden Homes are not a draw for them - that they have Premium for other reasons.

I'm not sure if anyone actually knows how many people would drop Premium if they decided to give up their Linden Home. I dropped a few of my Premiums that were specifically for Linden Homes when I decided that I didn't want that many homes - but I kept others that never had a Linden Home.  Lots of us have the extra Premium accounts for donating tier to a land group -- though that is definitely not as financially beneficial as it was before the price of Premium went up.

• Like 2

I have no doubt people buy premium for various reasons, and only they can decide what those reasons are worth to them. I do not put any real life money into SL and have not in over a decade. I pay my premium membership with lindens I make. I cash out approximately 3,100L a month for a month of premium (on each account I hold a Linden Home with which is two at the moment). The 300L a week stripend is minimal to me. Even with that, I still have to come up with 1,900L a month (per account) for that premium. If I also have to pay rent on land someplace else, then I downgrade my premium to help pay for that.

I am really ONLY commenting on the 351LI limit on Linden Homes (topic of this thread) and why, if that was not enough and I moved away for more, that would be a deciding factor in why I eliminated my premium status.

• Like 4

It's possible to fully, and properly decorate a Linden Home within the allotted LI. I have a kitchen, lounge, bedroom, bathroom, outside entertainment area, decorated garden, property border walls, a driveway, and a car. I'm also using some add-ons for my patio and I've even built some custom walls in the interior to separate the bathroom from the bedroom. 

My best advise is to find quality low LI furniture, of which plenty are available - it just takes some shopping around, and some careful planning. I have many 1-2 LI furniture items in my home and they look great. A couch doesn't need to be 20 LI. A decorative snack on the kitchen table doesn't need to be 10 LI. Just look for low-LI yet still high quality items. There are plenty available. Plan how much LI you're willing to use per room and shop around for low LI furnishings to fit into your LI plan/budget. 

You're welcome to check out my home here: https://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Twilling/147/135/32

That said, a higher LI limit would be great. There's a lot more that I would like to do with my home. I can't see why we can't have double LI. C'mon Linden Lab! *makes grabby hands*

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Land impacts (Li) or prims, is directly tied to the amount of land you own.

The more land you have, the more Li you get to spend.

With one notable exception.

There are a few double prim communities around SL (I will use horizons in this example, but there are others). The land is double prim, so you get a 1024 sqm parcel (covered entirely by the tier included with premium) with 702 Li. But (and this is a huge 🍑) the cost to purchase the land is stupidly high (L$100,000 per parcel on the low end, $430 US).

But ... once you own it, you own it. You will never need to pay more than the standard premium fees, and can resell it when you're done).

It can make sense if you're looking to stay in one place for several years, but the price is obscene and has been gamed by land barons.

29 minutes ago, davidventer said:

That said, a higher LI limit would be great. There's a lot more that I would like to do with my home. I can't see why we can't have double LI. C'mon Linden Lab! *makes grabby hands*

Li is tied to land area. Every region has the same total area and the same total number of Li to share out. Double prim land is an accounting trick, by giving one parcel a 2x Li bonus, the extra Li used on that parcel have to come from somewhere else on the region - Say you had a private island, set the Li bonus to 2x and rented half out. That half would appear to have a full regions Li count for the renter to use .. the catch is the other half of the region must remain entirely empty.

• Like 3

Choose a smaller house to decorate.  If you have a couch that is 20 land impact, ditch it and find one that is 4 LI.  If your kitchen takes up more than 30 LI, find a different one.  Make every prim count.  Get rid of the fence and put in a 1 LI shrub.  Check your clutter.  If you have clothes on the floor, pick them up. If your dining table stays set with high LI settings, clear it.  How many vases, rugs, paintings, lamps, knickknacks do you really need?  Some creators are more adept at efficient building and optimize the land impact of each item.  I have seen some really well decorated homes that don't look bare at all and even have landscaping.

I am glad for the limits.  It forces me to really think about what I put out and I don't just dump my inventory into my Linden Home.  My houseboat has 100 unused prims so I have a sandbox in the sky.  

The premium benefit is not just a parcel, but you get the house without using any of the allotted prims.  351 prims.  If you have a 6-room house, that is nearly 60 prims per room.  You can do it.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Choose a smaller house to decorate.

I wish they would provide more small homes across all themes. I like the Log Homes, but furnishing them and then also wanting a garden... ouf. Same problem for the Charlets(?) and I see it continuing in the modern houses, too.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Syo Emerald said:

I wish they would provide more small homes across all themes. I like the Log Homes, but furnishing them and then also wanting a garden... ouf. Same problem for the Charlets(?) and I see it continuing in the modern houses, too.

I agree. The chalets, logs and modern have huge houses with a bunch of tiny rooms, but there are some with 3 to 4 rooms.  I also like the open floor plans.

In this case it looks like the OP chose the absolute largest 3-story house.  Any other house from the mailbox would help.

Each location I've gotten has been a balance of interior decor and outside landscaping. I don't need much landscaping in a log, stilt, or Victorian. If I get the right parcel, the Mole landscaping is amazing.  The campers and houseboats are tiny with 1 to 2 rooms.  

351 land impact per parcel is enough with a little thought and effort.  I imagine if that number was tripled, it would be a lag nightmare. Do you really want your neighbor to have that? Make every decoration count.  Shop responsibly.  Choose smaller house plans.  Smaller house footprints also make the neighborhood appear less crowded since the structures don't go clear to the parcel boundaries.

• Like 3

Living and decorating a Linden Home is an exercise in killing your darlings. You have to evaluate every item you place down, before you approve it. Can you get the same look with a lower Li piece? Is this furniture or decor so important for the look, that you will sacrifice another part of the decor?

Smaller decor that is 2 Li has to go back in the inventory and be replaced with 1 Li decor that can be linked with another decor and still be 1 Li. 3D super detailed rugs that are 6-10 Li must be replaced with lower Li rugs. 

So it is hard for someone that is used to have a large amount of Li and place down whatever they like. Some creators create with the philosophy "If you have to ask how many Li it is, this is not for you".

But it can be very rewarding to see your finished house look like you used 700 Li and you still have used only 365 Li.

• Like 2

To me considering they are running a business and are more focused on profit..... I'd love if they just raised it to an even number of 400 or 500(in my dreams :D ) But I know they have the regions planned out with amount of homes for their profit plans, the prim allowance we can use for homes and rest to their landscaping rest of region. 1000 prim count limit would never ever happen with regions out there now as they'd have to remove some of the homes on them and redo everything. 1000 would never happen ever tbh but I'd love to see some sort of increase even if its small as every bit does help. I keep hearing rumors/talks on a premium plus. So maybe in future if there ever is a prem plus they could have homes for those ppl planned out with more prim allowance on new regions that have less homes.... just a thought. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Stellaa Starlight said:

To me considering they are running a business and are more focused on profit..... I'd love if they just raised it to an even number of 400 or 500(in my dreams :D ) But I know they have the regions planned out with amount of homes for their profit plans, the prim allowance we can use for homes and rest to their landscaping rest of region. 1000 prim count limit would never ever happen with regions out there now as they'd have to remove some of the homes on them and redo everything. 1000 would never happen ever tbh but I'd love to see some sort of increase even if its small as every bit does help. I keep hearing rumors/talks on a premium plus. So maybe in future if there ever is a prem plus they could have homes for those ppl planned out with more prim allowance on new regions that have less homes.... just a thought. 

This is the right answer.  Adding LI is not possible without completely rebuilding all Bellisseria regions from scratch, and getting a lesser product in return (less mole landscaping and community content).   They could probably move everything to a much more expensive class of server hardware, which would theoretically allow them to up the limits for all regions, but the money to do that has to come from somewhere, and it's not coming from LL.  I'm not going to hold my breath that Premium Plus is going to add some exclusive Linden Home options with higher LI limits, but there's no harm in wishing for it.  

I personally enjoy the challenge that the LI limit poses, and consider it "cheating" to leave rooms empty.  My personal rules also require that all of my homes have a kitchen, bedroom, bathroom, living room, as well as functional and landscaped outdoor space.  That said, I do avoid the larger home models, and admire those of you who fully fill them. 

• Like 7

Also, be careful when linking items.  As has been mentioned, it can save you a considerable amount of LI, but as we have all learned, it can often result in unintended consequences.  A few common issues are noted below.

• Linking may actually increase LI - you may have to play around with which item is the root prim or leave some items unlinked to get optimal results
  • Linking items with scripts can change how they function
    • ceiling fan blades may suddenly begin rotating vertically instead of horizontally
    • changing the texture of your kitchen cabinets paints your area rug instead
    • sitting on the sofa may unexpectedly put you in midair in a default override pose
  • Linking items that extend beyond your parcel boundaries can result in not being able to unlink them later, should you need to do so
  • Linking items will cause all items in the set to inherit the root's properties - if you are no longer able to walk through open doorways or you start falling through your custom deck add-on, you have linked phantom with non-phantom items

• Like 5

12 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

You may call them whatever you want.

Patch says that they view them as Starter Homes and their view is all that matters.  

I may be wrong, but my take on Patch calling them starter homes, is not meant to say they are not adequate in themselves as there are many who settle into one and make it their home for the foreseeable future. I think more what he is saying is if a Linden Home does not meet your needs then there are many other avenues to find homes that will fit your needs. So in that regard a Linden Home may be a starter for some and a forever home for others.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Matthieu Quander said:

Adding LI is not possible without completely rebuilding all Bellisseria regions from scratch

Well, I'm calling bs on this one because for for an extra $30/month you can have an extra 10k prims added to a private estate so technically it's entirely possible.

As an example of what is possible with the limited number of prims available for Linden Homes, here's my example of a stilt home on water. I still have 54 prims available after doing my deco. Here's a slurl to my home if you would like to visit to get ideas. http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Sand Shack/223/191/23

beach5_001.thumb.jpg.8d346612518d86691f71c25f241f5e38.jpg

beach1_001.thumb.jpg.d3f046fee16b99c2a9d9384f5268f2d2.jpg

beach2_001.thumb.jpg.c600ffbaf9fc99d83a17b421ff5669cf.jpg

beach4_001.thumb.jpg.d59a5cf0a3d7996c0b0f65cf64a54c17.jpg

With those 54 prims I can rez a boat or if my home was actually on land that would leave me enough prims to have a little garden.

Edited by Blush Bravin
added slurl to home
  • Like 14

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 597 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.