Which landscapes or sceneries do you find yourself living in often?

Veroniquexoxo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 840 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have found myself often renting beach houses near the ocean. Something about the sand and crashing waves draws me in. It also helps my photography addiction. I don't even have to teleport to get a great photo. I was curious if anyone else noticed that they were attracted to move to certain places for one reason or another and their stories.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SarahThe Wanderer said:

I've lived in all kinds of themes; literally all of it, and I love it all, but my absolute favorite is Sci Fi / Cyberpunk.

There used to be a breathtaking Bladerunner style sim the city was so immersive and atmospheric right down to the pouring rain. Sadly it closed several years back now. But the fantastic Queue Continuum is still around

Edited by rasterscan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Over the years I've lived in many places. The vast majority were by the water on tropical islands. I believe it is the alure of living in an idyllic paradise, enjoying a warm climate in tranquility with no stress.

But to break the monotony, I've also built a sim where it was permanently winter, and another one that was a desert landscape with no vegetation at all, sand as far as your avatars eyes could see.

I managed to find an image of my old winter paradise; please keep in mind that it was built around 10 years ago, so not up to today's standards. It had a helicopter for anyone to take rides, winter ice slide and a (functioning) ski hill with a ski lift.

1816520093_WinterParadise_049_small.thumb.png.db42ab5a16eda5f3d6cb1d2f08bf6774.png

Edited by Echelon Alcott
  • Like 5

The two places where I spend most of my SL time seem like polar opposites, but are exactly the same.

There's "The Far Away", which is reminiscent of the open fields of my childhood (still nearby, but less so)...
1193521970_DragingtheLocomotiveintotheExpanse_001.thumb.jpg.5b9331b6f3490c266e73386e10593b0b.jpg

And there's my city rooftop...
Rooftop_001.thumb.jpg.44dc15e3e0acbd49a6aa321834075255.jpg

Whether it's a field of wheat or of skyscrapers, the important part is that nobody knows I'm there. The entire view belongs to me.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, rasterscan said:

There used to be a breathtaking Bladerunner style sim the city was so immersive and atmospheric right down to the pouring rain. Sadly it closed several years back now. But the fantastic Queue Continuum is still around

What you described sounds like Insilico. The report of its death was an exaggeration?
https://www.insilico.online/
https://secondlife.com/destination/insilico-2

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I like northern mountainous forests (not tropical) green, cool, foggy, wet, thick and lush, with boughs so luxurious the darkness swallows me and only occasional beams of light stream through, overgrown and wild, moss dripping from every branch, ferns, needles and mushrooms for quiet ground cover, with babbling brooks and rocky terrain, the sound of mountain birds and the snapping of twigs in the distance to make you wonder what creatures are out there, old and mysterious, where the trees can tell stories of a thousand years ago.

I'll visit a crowded city or a hot, sandy beach, but I won't stay there.  I'll let the forest swallow me first.

Edited by Cinnamon Mistwood
  • Like 10

I visit many places, but my home now is my fave.  It's on a peninsula with water on 2 sides. Rather than a house Tami and decided to add lots of trees, animals, and currently snow. By the way LandMap is a whiz for decorating a parcel you're renting. We have a houseboat (edited the land so there is a small inlet) and a treehouse. 

It has all we need and want. 

• Like 4

I've had homes or stores in a variety of different environments over the years, ranging from boutique-y and aesthetically well-coordinated town sims, to (most recently) tropical islands. But my "home base" for most of my 13 years in SL has been a sort of run-down (but not dystopian) urban-style sim.

What I'd like in a home? A rural French or Italian setting (think Provence or Tuscanny), or a really good recreation of modern Paris or Rome.

What I don't want? Suburbia, aka Bellisseria, even though it's beautifully done and I admire the community element.

• Like 4

In real or in Second Life I always find I'm most comfortable living in 1960s or 1970s style homes. Ugly and boxy from the outside maybe, but they really appeal to me, especially when they've got a balcony. So few people ever look upwards. This is my flat from when I lived in Minehead in Somerset, UK. I would people watch from my balcony on my days off, the man downstairs to the right on the picture successfully grew grapes on his balcony, such a sun trap it was. I just enjoyed people watching on my days off or I'd walk two minutes to the beach or four minutes up the road to the shops and cafes.

My current flat is really similar, but very landlocked. A 1960s build, again boxy, big rooms, two balconies but rubbish views!

by the sea.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

I like northern mountainous forests (not tropical) green, cool, foggy, wet, thick and lush, with boughs so luxurious the darkness swallows me and only occasional beams of light stream through, overgrown and wild, moss dripping from every branch, ferns, needles and mushrooms for quiet ground cover, with babbling brooks and rocky terrain, the sound of mountain birds and the snapping of twigs in the distance to make you wonder what creatures are out there, old and mysterious, where the trees can tell stories of a thousand years ago.

I'll visit a crowded city or a hot, sandy beach, but I won't stay there.  I'll let the forest swallow me first.

This sounds lovely.

There's a sim I've visited often, and taken a number of pics at called Bungenas (sim name: Binemust), based on a part of Sweden's Gotland. It's not mountainous, but it's craggy and rocky and northern, with a beautiful dense forest and very cold-looking and haggard exposed beaches. The sense of rough, weather-beaten northern landscapes must appeal to the Canadian in me, I guess. (I assume the sim is still there: I haven't visited in a couple of months.) Here's an old fashion pic I took there:

Style and Story: The Roots that Clutch

53 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

In real or in Second Life I always find I'm most comfortable living in 1960s or 1970s style homes. Ugly and boxy from the outside maybe, but they really appeal to me, especially when they've got a balcony.

I totally get this appeal. I'd live in a small apartment above a store, or even in an apartment building, if the sim was a really nicely done, interesting urban one with fun things like clubs and galleries. There is something rather attractive about working your way around the constraint of small spaces. One of my favourite "houses" to live in ever was my tiny little one-room boathouse.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

This sounds lovely.

There's a sim I've visited often, and taken a number of pics at called Bungenas (sim name: Binemust), based on a part of Sweden's Gotland. It's not mountainous, but it's craggy and rocky and northern, with a beautiful dense forest and very cold-looking and haggard exposed beaches. The sense of rough, weather-beaten northern landscapes must appeal to the Canadian in me, I guess. (I assume the sim is still there: I haven't visited in a couple of months.) Here's an old fashion pic I took there:

Style and Story: The Roots that Clutch

I totally get this appeal. I'd live in a small apartment above a store, or even in an apartment building, if the sim was a really nicely done, interesting urban one with fun things like clubs and galleries. There is something rather attractive about working your way around the constraint of small spaces. One of my favourite "houses" to live in ever was my tiny little one-room boathouse.

There is always something fascinating about living in small spaces. I certainly could not bear to live in a big house for fear someone else was living in another part of it without my knowledge! I often wonder how at home the Queen feels when she's at Buckingham Palace. All those rooms with such high ceilings and parts of the place open to visitors. Now that's tooooo big.  I used to joke about the flat pictured above though, that I paid £5 a week rent for the flat and £80 for the balcony, because that was where I lived most of the time, although the sea view was from the other side, and nice to see while doing anything in the kitchen or on the terrace at the back. 

My first home in Missing Beckett (mainland) was appealing because it had a sea view, even better from 2008 when windlight improved the view. 

• Like 2

Trees, mountains, snow, water, big skies... people not required; the same things that are a magnet to me in RL. I would love to live around the Carpathian mountains. Big rooms, big spaces to move around in because I've always lived in a tiny house in RL. I hate feeling enclosed and cramped. Most places I've had land in SL have had ocean access and hills around. I did rent a beachhut once on a small plot in The North Sea for a brief change in lifestyle (surfing beach bum).This is my home now I'm making enough on the MP to afford it; I'm still building and playing with ideas (so please excuse the very unfinished 'landscaping') because I've only recently moved in. Just wish the ocean was sailable, but I can't have everything.

View from 'rear' of house:

Snapshot_613a.thumb.jpg.85848a30ee4101e1ffbf4f83bdf3a098.jpg

View from front:

Snapshot_614a.thumb.jpg.a2132a4ce3db47e26bc3181f9fa27a21.jpg

View from the lake:

Snapshot_615aa.thumb.jpg.7be7ce66084a7f08b20e1f2ce969c35b.jpg

• Like 3

I don't like living on the beach with the sun, sand, sea, etc. Recently I rented one parcel on a sim that seemed to good to be true so I could live there for a week and then buy it if it was ok (it was). But I felt exposed and felt I was going to get sunburned as in RL. 

In RL, I like to be near bodies of water and always seem to end up living by a lake or a river as I do now, and I consider myself blessed that I can look out on the river, see all the boats every day, and hear the trains coming and going.

But in SL I like to go on top of mountains or on the craggy New England sims. Most of the time I can't stand being inside the houses, sometimes they are OK but a lot of them are claustrophobic. Same with skyboxes. Although recently I took anc's faraway sea dome, which is pretty good for what it is, all shades of white, 92 prims, and with a depth in the water so you can feel like you are wading in. I put Victor Priesley's Wolf art work and some of his other works to make a little winter hangout. You can see this and similar works at his gallery.

Even so, we're here because it's a contiguous world, and I don't like being up in the sky for long.

So I just go out on the front lawn or the back yard and tinker. Also I love forests but I can never build them myself to my satisfaction, so I go to other people's. Here's a nice one called Oscarton Park where you can have a lovely walk. I like that it isn't "over-stuffed" like so many builds these days.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

But in SL I like to go on top of mountains or on the craggy New England sims. Most of the time I can't stand being inside the houses, sometimes they are OK but a lot of them are claustrophobic. Same with skyboxes. Although recently I took anc's faraway sea dome, which is pretty good for what it is, all shades of white, 92 prims, and with a depth in the water so you can feel like you are wading in. I put Victor Priesley's Wolf art work and some of his other works to make a little winter hangout. You can see this and similar works at his gallery.

Even so, we're here because it's a contiguous world, and I don't like being up in the sky for long.

So I just go out on the front lawn or the back yard and tinker. Also I love forests but I can never build them myself to my satisfaction, so I go to other people's. Here's a nice one called Oscarton Park where you can have a lovely walk. I like that it isn't "over-stuffed" like so many builds these days.

Thanks for sharing the SLurls, Prokofy. I enjoyed visiting them.

11 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Most of the time I can't stand being inside the houses, sometimes they are OK but a lot of them are claustrophobic. Same with skyboxes.

The solution for claustrophobic houses, a house with no walls. https://gyazo.com/da41686f20ed4cce274edf6db4211c16

Edited by Echelon Alcott
  • Like 2

Aside from my Linden homes, most of the mainland homes I've had were forested, with a cottage (or a castle, if it would fit). However, since getting a Linden Home on a beach, that's my new niche. I like a more temperate style to my beaches, rather than tropical. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 840 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.