Voice no longer working on Linux viewers

Mircea Lobo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 537 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Greetings! I'm a Linux user, my distribution is Manjaro KDE. I'm using two viewers to connect to SL: Kokua (main viewer) and Firestorm (backup viewer), native 64-bit binaries (no WINE). Everything seems to be working great except for one recent issue: Voice support stopped working on all viewers, something both myself and someone else can confirm.

https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/fs_voice

For FS we followed the instructions provided on that page. We edited the viewer launch script and commented out those lines in order as suggested:

export LL_BAD_FMODSTUDIO_DRIVER=x
export LL_BAD_OPENAL_DRIVER=x
export LL_BAD_FMOD_PULSEAUDIO=x
export LL_BAD_FMOD_ALSA=x

The issue persists with either and all of them: In the audio preferences under voice, the input / output devices are grayed out with a message saying "is voice enabled". We looked everywhere but can't find any answer: What should we try next?

19 answers to this question

4 minutes ago, Nick0678 said:

Use the Wine version. Native linux slvoice client is a very old version (3.2) and you will have problems using it with IM's.

Is there no other way than to run the Windows viewer on Wine? That sounds slower and counter-intuitive when a native version exists. I know voice used to work as normal over an year ago, I used Linux then too and I think it was still the 64-bit viewer. Perhaps the native viewer knows to look at the Windows / exe version of SLVoice when that is available? I do after all get the following error message pointed out in the log:

2021-12-27T16:05:27Z INFO #Voice# newview/winevoicevivox.cpp(616) LLVivoxVoiceClient::userAuthorized : name "mircea_lobo" , ID b0186c1c-e2d9-44a5-a895-760b42195974

2 minutes ago, Nick0678 said:

You won't run the viewer on wine only slvoice..  Hmm i guess you need a bit more help on this, i 'll tell you how to do that in a few minutes.

That sounds okay then, if this process can be automated and functional. Thanks, will wait for the instructions when you have time, it is not an immediate rush.

Edited by Mircea Lobo

Nick0678

Posted October 2 (edited)
On 10/2/2021 at 5:04 AM, TDD123 said:

Wine64 installs fine ( have not tried anything with it yet though ), but it will not start the Win32 SLVoice.exe included with the viewer. 

This is the Win64 SLVoice straight from the Repo .

http://automated-builds-secondlife-com.s3.amazonaws.com/ct2/12433/73570/slvoice-4.9.0002.27586.511884-windows64-511884.tar.bz2

Extract contents and copy the executable and libraries located in slvoice-4.9.0002.27586.511884-windows64-511884/lib/ into  a new directory named  "win64"  copy that into your firestorm /bin directory.

Next step is to rename the linux native /bin/SLVoice to /bin/SLVoiceNATIVE (if you want to keep it around)

Create a file named SLVoice in firestorms /bin and paste this code inside

#!/bin/bash

SCRIPTSRC=`readlink -f "$0" || echo "$0"`
RUN_PATH=`dirname "${SCRIPTSRC}" || echo .`
echo "Running from ${RUN_PATH}"
cd "${RUN_PATH}"

exec /usr/bin/wine64 win64/SLVoice.exe $*

Mark it as executable and then run your firestorm.

Do not enable Firestorms Wine32SLVoiceSupport just leave it as it is.

Enjoy SLvoice with Wine64bit

Edited October 2 by Nick0678
Edited by Nick0678
  • Thanks 1

Thank you very much, that's very handy! I may have to give it a try later tonight but I downloaded and saved that file for now.

Only one more question: Will this also work for other viewers, such as Kokua in my case? I keep Firestorm around as a backup, it's bloated and slower so I try to avoid it. I take it this is an universal solution for Linux viewers that don't deviate from the original code on the voice system so I should be good.

[EDIT] Replied before seeing your reply, that answers that too, thanks for the clarification.

Edited by Mircea Lobo
  • Like 1

Please make sure if using 64 bit  that you are using the debug FS wine set to true.

unless NickyD updated to 64 bit voice. I haven't looked. they always stuffed the 32bit SLvoice.exe wine in it.

so this means you must install wine 64 bit and 32 bit.

So b4 you say they do not work in Linux viewers you may need to look around been maintaining Linux build since 2011 my voice works on 64 bit Linux.

All distros that have wine 64 bit installed.  For firestorm you need 32 and 64 bit. 

I created this 3p package build a long time ago. for 64 bit wine voice kokua borrowed it and made it work for them.

I use it when building FS  for my repo.

I have no need for 32bit libraries so back in 2015 started using the wine64 bit build.

you can find my builds of the FS and SL and Little-penguin viewers on my bit bucket. they are up to date with  SL except for FS I only build it when they release.

I do build it with some of my libraries and custom builds for modern cpus such as avx avx2 and avx-512  openjpeg 2.5.0 devel that I maintain fork of on the  github

Since my GF  has MS and hard to move hands voice is a big issue for me.

I came to SL to work on the media and a 64 bit viewer. care less if any one uses them. But people do and they are stable.

I recommended a collaboration of prebuilts for Linux on a thread that was closed then deleted. 

Do to what ever the dictators thinks was the reason. so I started it the prebuilts and the variables to build them to get along with newer glibc clang gcc etc

https://bitbucket.org/Drakeo/

I see FS has stuffed the SLvoice64 bit into the viewer/bin/ so that means they  added an if statement I used a long time ago just took it out.

new path and a new XML setting for voice how confusing. no one is using 32bit linux.

Firestorm 6.5.2 (65510) Dec 27 2021 11:28:52 (64bit / AVX2) (Firestorm-Drakeo) with OpenSimulator support
Release Notes

You are at 184.8, 236.0, 89.6 in Missauke located at simhost-047862f33c79ca145.agni
SLURL: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Missauke/185/236/90
(global coordinates 262,841.0, 254,444.0, 89.6)
Second Life Server 2021-12-10.566713
Release Notes

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor (2200 MHz)
Memory: 32052 MB
Concurrency: 16
OS Version: Linux 5.15.11 #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Dec 22 12:04:03 CST 2021 x86_64
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080/PCIe/SSE2
Graphics Card Memory: 8192 MB

OpenGL Version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 495.44

RestrainedLove API: (disabled)
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.54.1 OpenSSL/1.1.1l zlib/1.2.8 nghttp2/1.25.0
J2C Decoder Version: OpenJPEG: 2.3.1, Runtime: 2.3.1
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Studio 2.02.02
Dullahan: 1.12.2.202109282040
  CEF: 91.1.23+g04c8d56+chromium-91.0.4472.164
  Chromium: 91.0.4472.164
LibVLC Version: 2.2.3
Voice Server Version: Vivox 4.10.0000.32327

Settings mode: Firestorm
Viewer Skin: Firestorm (Grey)
Window size: 1920x1007 px
Font Used: Deja Vu (96 dpi)
Font Size Adjustment: 0 pt
UI Scaling: 1
Draw distance: 128 m
Bandwidth: 500 kbit/s
LOD factor: 2
Render quality: High-Ultra (6/7)
Advanced Lighting Model: Yes
Texture memory: Dynamic (512 MB min / 10% Cache / 10% VRAM)
Disk cache: Max size 9984.0 MB (7.8% used)
Built with Clang version Clang 13.0.0
Packets Lost: 15/1,518 (1.0%)
December 27 2021 10:24:10 SLT

Edited by Drakeo

There is no reason why they say you need to recompile boost if 9.4.0 gcc or higher.

#  if (CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER_VERSION VERSION_GREATER_EQUAL 10.0.0 )
#    message( FATAL_ERROR "GCC greater 9.4.0 is not supported. Recompile boost for support of GCC 10.0.0 and up." )
#  endif()

gcc (GCC) 11.2.0

GLIBC 2.33

clang version 13.0.0

builds fine.

hey what do I know.

FS 6.5.2 dev builds  is it stable that's Up to NickyD

there biggest problems are building the libraries

with default GLIBC settings. we need for the older GLIBC 2.23 to 2.28 "-g -fPIC -lm  -pthread -fno-finite-math-only"

this turns off the default fast math that causes issues with newer GLBC linux systems.

I hope this helps  the FS team. I am sure Henry knows it already?

1 hour ago, Drakeo said:

There is no reason why they say you need to recompile boost if 9.4.0 gcc or higher.

#  if (CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER_VERSION VERSION_GREATER_EQUAL 10.0.0 )
#    message( FATAL_ERROR "GCC greater 9.4.0 is not supported. Recompile boost for support of GCC 10.0.0 and up." )
#  endif()

gcc (GCC) 11.2.0

GLIBC 2.33

clang version 13.0.0

builds fine.

hey what do I know.

FS 6.5.2 dev builds  is it stable that's Up to NickyD

there biggest problems are building the libraries

with default GLIBC settings. we need for the older GLIBC 2.23 to 2.28 "-g -fPIC -lm  -pthread -fno-finite-math-only"

this turns off the default fast math that causes issues with newer GLBC linux systems.

I hope this helps  the FS team. I am sure Henry knows it already?

Are you OK?

Wanted to confirm Nick0678's suggestion works like a charm: I haven't tested with someone else yet but in-world voice appears to be working perfectly, at least as far as the viewer and its mic volume bar are telling me! I really wonder why Linux viewers don't come packaged with the win64 libraries by default, and that script instead of the broken SLVoice binary... till that's settled I'm keeping the patch in a separate directory so I can apply it with each viewer update.

Last thing I should have to ask is if we may have a link to where those SLVoice binaries are periodically posted. So if I need to update them I won't have to ask for help again. I'm assuming they're updated periodically, if viewers won't ship them like they should I'll probably need to recreate this patch from the latest versions.

On 12/27/2021 at 2:44 PM, Mircea Lobo said:

Wanted to confirm Nick0678's suggestion works like a charm: I haven't tested with someone else yet but in-world voice appears to be working perfectly, at least as far as the viewer and its mic volume bar are telling me! I really wonder why Linux viewers don't come packaged with the win64 libraries by default, and that script instead of the broken SLVoice binary... till that's settled I'm keeping the patch in a separate directory so I can apply it with each viewer update.

Last thing I should have to ask is if we may have a link to where those SLVoice binaries are periodically posted. So if I need to update them I won't have to ask for help again. I'm assuming they're updated periodically, if viewers won't ship them like they should I'll probably need to recreate this patch from the latest versions.

If you do not understand pthread and fast math was part of the compiler moved into GLIBC no longer part of the compiler in clang or GCC. What are you missing.  What don't you get

On 12/27/2021 at 5:31 PM, Nick0678 said:

Nick0678

Posted October 2 (edited)

This is the Win64 SLVoice straight from the Repo .

Worked for me! Ubuntu 20.0.4

But since I had a not safe site warning I found the tar file here

https://osdn.net/projects/sfnet_kirstensviewers/downloads/kirstensviewers/S23/AMD64/slvoice-4.10-windows64-S23.tar.bz2/

follows the warned link:

etc etc

Nick0678

Extract contents and copy the executable and libraries located in slvoice-4.9.0002.27586.511884-windows64-511884/lib/ into  a new directory named  "win64"  copy that into your firestorm /bin directory.

Next step is to rename the linux native /bin/SLVoice to /bin/SLVoiceNATIVE (if you want to keep it around)

Create a file named SLVoice in firestorms /bin and paste this code inside

#!/bin/bash

SCRIPTSRC=`readlink -f "$0" || echo "$0"`
RUN_PATH=`dirname "${SCRIPTSRC}" || echo .`
echo "Running from ${RUN_PATH}"
cd "${RUN_PATH}"

exec /usr/bin/wine64 win64/SLVoice.exe $*

Mark it as executable and then run your firestorm.

Do not enable Firestorms Wine32SLVoiceSupport just leave it as it is.

No more working for me, after Ubuntu and firestorm upgrade. I have slvoice-4.10-windows64-S23 extracted and copied into firestorm /bin directory the files contained (there is a sub folder "release" that contains SLVoice.exe file, I've copied also in main Firestorm /bin folder). I've also created the file SLVoice and placed in /bin folder too but I notice that my Ubuntu has no "/usr/bin/wine64 win64/SLVoice.exe" file. If I run via wine64 the SLVoice.exe in /bin folder I've the following: 

Stringa di esecuzione:
/usr/bin/env  WINE='/usr/bin/wine'  WINEPREFIX='/home/dante/.wine'  WINESERVER='/usr/bin/wineserver'  WINELOADER='/usr/bin/wine'  /bin/sh -c "cd '/home/dante/Scaricati/software/Phoenix-FirestormOS-Releasex64-6-6-3-67470/bin/' &&   '/usr/bin/wine'   'SLVoice.exe'  2>&1 "
Codice di uscita:
output di STDOUT e STDERR dell'applicazione:
0110:err:module:import_dll Library vivoxsdk_x64.dll (which is needed by L"Z:\\Phoenix-FirestormOS-Releasex64-6-6-3-67470\\bin\\SLVoice.exe") not found
0110:err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Importing dlls for L"Z:\\Phoenix-FirestormOS-Releasex64-6-6-3-67470\\bin\\SLVoice.exe" failed, status c0000135

Edited by Lenz Bovarro
I found myy previous post in whichit worked for me, but now not any more

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 537 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.