Run or walk?

Tama Suki

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 69 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

28 minutes ago, Ayeleeon said:

I find most run animations look goofy. Besides if I am.in a hurry I just click the map and TP there instantly.

Firestorm viewer Is very good at It since you can double tap on minimap.

Edited by Tama Suki

I prefer to walk instead of run around, sometimes even in mouselook. Immersion of the virtual world is better in such a case and there is a bit more time to look around, see what was built around - that's the point of Second Life for me, to explore and see what imagination of others called to life. When there is no path or path is too cluttered - I spread wings and fly, sometimes use vehicles: helicopters - quiet ones - and rafts, the latter especially in Fantasseria part of SL, are my favourites. In-region teleporting is used by me relatively rarely, mostly when I work on something and need to quickly switch places.

Edited by panterapolnocy
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, Ayeleeon said:

Exactly that is what I do. I didn't realize that was exclusive to Firestorm.

On the official viewer also you can double tap on minimap but it will open the world map and then from there you can TP exatly were you double tapped on minimap.

Frestorm instead allow you to do it direcly touching the minimap. Faster and better and very usefull if you are in a combat enviroment to escape or to chase an opponent. I also have a couples of gestures one that sends me directly at top altitude and another to go back to the ground.

Edited by Tama Suki

I once walked across a continent, not all at once. I started at the southernmost point and started walking north. Stopping along the way to talk to people I met or explore interesting things. Each time I logged off when I logged back on I did so at my last location and I would continue north. I did this till I reached the seashore on the north side.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Leahndra said:

I am a Lady and never run 😇,

except its one of the huge events or the club is too far away from the landing point. 

I happen to see ladies running and fighting wildly during the sales period sometime. 😵

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Ayeleeon said:

I once walked across a continent, not all at once. I started at the southernmost point and started walking north. Stopping along the way to talk to people I met or explore interesting things. Each time I logged off when I logged back on I did so at my last location and I would continue north. I did this till I reached the seashore on the north side.

Very nice, I was doing something like that a few years ago too. Exploring is one of the most beautiful activities to practice in SL. But unfortunately I can't afford it anymore because I suffer a lot from lag and the experience is no longer pleasant.

• Like 2

Teleport in, move camera, sit/teleport out.

• Like 1

If I am exploring somewhere, then I will be walking or riding an animal or sometimes a vehicle - I don't control vehicles very well, so I don't use them often.

Other than the above situations, I am 99.9999% in Fly mode.  I even have my Firestorm option set to always be in Fly mode after a TP.  If I end up in an area that has Fly disabled or the landing spot is very crowded, then I'll quickly fly to an unoccupied spot and land.  If I'm shopping, I'll just do that via camming from where I am at.  If I'm attending an event, then I'll typically walk if Fly is disabled - though if nobody is close by, I'll sometimes Fly anyway.

• Like 2

Depends! If I'm shopping or exploring in a reasonable distance I just walk, but if things I need to get to are far apart and the sim allows for it I'll just fly over or ofc TP. If I'm exploring a continent I'll be in a car lol. I also fly planes and sail, but that's more for the fun of flying and sailing than for the purpose of getting to a destination. Admittedly tho I'm running more now that I have a good AO for it 

The Avatar walk speed in SL is too fast for an actual walk, the best I ever found was AO set that had the avatar doing a gentle jog at normal walking speeds.

What we really need are setting where a parcel owner can set the walk speed, run speed and jump height for that specific parcel.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

The Avatar walk speed in SL is too fast for an actual walk, the best I ever found was AO set that had the avatar doing a gentle jog at normal walking speeds.

What we really need are setting where a parcel owner can set the walk speed, run speed and jump height for that specific parcel.

I scripted such a thing. and it's always attached to my avatar. I took hours to perfectly match my AO animation with my actual walk speed. That means i walked on a grid texture, with different camera angles to make absolutely sure i'm not moonwalking. So, i walk. everywhere. I only teleport if i have to. I never fly or even jump.

OpenSim on the other hand has such a function, it's called osSetSpeed

Edited by CaithLynnSayes
Added the OS notion.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 69 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.