Inworld chat chatting.

Tama Suki

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 152 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I would like to ask, for the sake of all inworld humanity, not to delete the animation when writing in the local chat.
I can understand that the default noise of the keys being pressed annoys you (I like it a lot anyway) but the animation, at least that is necessary.
I have to understand if you are writing otherwise I am struck by the anxiety because I do not understand if you are still there talking to me or are you afk, perhaps consulting an encyclopedia or perhaps you have run to the refrigerator taken by a sudden wild hunger or worse, that a meteorite is fell on your house.

Even if people have the typing sound* and animation off, you should still be able to see a typing indicator over their head when they are. if you can't then maybe your viewer just sucks :P.

*Tangent: you can change the sound to literally anything with the UiSndTyping debug setting. neat.

*Tangent2: Make sure you have ShowNearbyAvatarsTyping set to TRUE.

• Like 4

I love that feature of the typing indicator and the chat visible under avatars name. I don't know if it exist on Firestorm but i've recently activated it on the official viewer.

Unfortunately, it's one of the many features in the viewer that you can only notice if you dig deep into the preferences.

Edited by Tama Suki

1 hour ago, Quistess Alpha said:

*Tangent: you can change the sound to literally anything with the UiSndTyping debug setting. neat.

This is very interesting. I can add any sound i like and others will listen to it or it will just be for myself?

5 minutes ago, Tama Suki said:

This is very interesting. I can add any sound i like and others will listen to it or it will just be for myself?

I'm not actually sure. It seemed to say that others will hear it, but I would have to test it before saying that confidently.

• Like 2

I just tested it, unfortunately only you hear the sound you set. :(

For those who are annoyed by other's typing sounds, you can set something like 9e83123d-4e27-cb4e-d2d9-0e29330230b0 as the sound to never hear it even if the other person has typing sounds on. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 2

But I'm fine with that sound, if others don't want to hear it they can turn down their volume.
Anyway you know? I have found that many people live SL without listening to any audio.
Sounds terrible to me. I can't understand how you can use SL without hearing what's going on around you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tama Suki said:

Sounds terrible to me. I can't understand how you can use SL without hearing what's going on around you.

I usually listen some music from my collection when I'm on. And the last thing I want is to hear those random and most often obnoxious sounds when I'm out exploring, shopping or just doing whatever outside of my own region (Where I've removed every single annoying/looped sound manually, although kept some neutral ones like waves and flowing water). Voice is also permanently off. So what sounds terrible to you is perfect for me, and vice versa.

As for the typing animations - never liked them, they look either silly or plain terrible, and interrupt stands and even sits at times (depends on the animation's priority). So they are off from the very start.

Typing indicator does exist on the Firestorm too and pretty easy to find (Chat>visuals. Show typing indicator in bubbles above avatars), so, like suggested above, just use it if you are not feeling easy not seeing any typing animations around.

But you/we can't and shouldn't cater to such random things, because there always will be someone who is not feeling easy about something. There's far too many phobias and other conditions. Fantasy avatars? Someone might be afraid of zombies, robots, spiders, aliens and so on. Flashy stuff, like some details on my sci-fi outfits/looks? Might trigger someone's epilepsy. Completely random little things added to outfit? Might be offensive to some people (highly religious ones for example).

Edited by steeljane42
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, steeljane42 said:

I usually listen some music from my collection when I'm on. And the last thing I want is to hear those random and most often obnoxious sounds when I'm out exploring, shopping or just doing whatever outside of my own region (Where I've removed every single annoying/looped sound manually, although kept some neutral ones like waves and flowing water). Voice is also permanently off. So what sounds terrible to you is perfect for me, and vice versa.

As for the typing animations - never liked them, they look either silly or plain terrible, and interrupt stands and even sits at times (depends on the animation's priority). So they are off from the very start.

Typing indicator does exist on the Firestorm too and pretty easy to find (Chat>visuals. Show typing indicator in bubbles above avatars), so, like suggested above, just use it if you are not feeling easy not seeing any typing animations around.

But you/we can't and shouldn't cater to such random things, because there always will be someone who is not feeling easy about something. There's far too many phobias and other conditions. Fantasy avatars? Someone might be afraid of zombies, robots, spiders, aliens and so on. Flashy stuff, like some details on my sci-fi outfits/looks? Might trigger someone's epilepsy. Completely random little things added to outfit? Might be offensive to some people (highly religious ones for example).

Yes, I understand what you are saying. Somehow listening to music while doing something, like exploring for example, I think is a very respectable practice as well as indicating a certain good taste in savoring the virtual experience. I often do it too (always keeping the volume of the environment in which I move high. I also like the sound of the blips and the clicks when I touch viewer functions).
As for the rest I don't think anyone needs to worry much about the avatar and the accessories he wears as long as they are not sexually explicit or politically or religiously controversial.
I believe that for this kind of problem there are also general SL TOS and exceptions for some sims.
Epilepsy sufferers shouldn't use anything that looks like SL I believe, but I can be wrong because I don't have enough notion of that discomfort.

However, I always tend to prioritize the experience that a new account have when logging into SL for the first time and that he doesn't even have a good idea how to open the preferences and whether it can activate or deactivate functions that probably he doesn't even know they exist.

Edited by Tama Suki

7 minutes ago, Tama Suki said:

Because the smell of the pages of old books that don't open very often is very evocative.

I have books of my own on my own bookshelf that do not require me getting in the car if I want to smell that smell. I can open a book, take a big whiff of the smell, and look up.my question on Wikipedia.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Ayeleeon said:

I have books of my own on my own bookshelf that do not require me getting in the car if I want to smell that smell. I can open a book, take a big whiff of the smell, and look up.my question on Wikipedia.

Just fire up a couple of these bad boys at your desk and take a whiff every time you open a new tab. 😆

image.png.c06b1102eb874a7e1d78e83befb16dba.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, Tama Suki said:

otherwise I am struck by the anxiety

5 hours ago, Tama Suki said:

But I'm fine with that sound, if others don't want to hear it they can turn down their volume.

So let me get this straight.  People need to use typing animations because if they don't it makes YOU anxious.   But if your typing sounds bother someone, THEY need to change their behaviour (turn down their volume).  Basically, everyone need to adjust their SL around you.  🤔😐🙄

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, LilNosferatu said:

Just fire up a couple of these bad boys at your desk and take a whiff every time you open a new tab. 😆

image.png.c06b1102eb874a7e1d78e83befb16dba.png

No lie - I really really want these now. Like everywhere in my house. I can close my eyes and pretend I'm in the Neverending Story Book shop

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, BranScanlon said:

No lie - I really really want these now. Like everywhere in my house. I can close my eyes and pretend I'm in the Neverending Story Book shop

I'll take two and turn them on next to the computer so while I'm throwing money at Zyngo it'll feel like I'm culturing myself.

I don't remember the last time I had to hear someone's typing animation sound.  Somewhere along the way I must have figured out how to turn that obnoxious sound off.  I don't mind seeing the animation, but the clickety clack of everyone's typing would be annoying.  I still want to hear ambient sounds like birds, water, music. I turn down the volume of gestures. It's nice having tools to customize my experience. 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

The same as anyone who has hearing loss or complete deafness. We do exist and we are in SL.

I have a dear Japanese friend who I have known for many years and who helped me with selflessness owning a collection of sims who is deaf.
She wrote it in her bio about her that she is deaf and I meet her occasionally and when it happens I speak to her through Japanese gestures which in addition to the nice sound are expressed very clearly in Japanese in the chat.
Maybe you could learn how to use gestures of the culture that interests you the most.
The world is big.
Yumix

• Confused 3

5 hours ago, Tama Suki said:

Because the smell of the pages of old books that don't open very often is very evocative.

That's because as paper ages and degrades it gives off volatile chemicals, at least 15 different compounds. Some of which are actually addictive.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Tama Suki said:

I have a dear Japanese friend who I have known for many years and who helped me with selflessness owning a collection of sims who is deaf.
She wrote it in her bio about her that she is deaf and I meet her occasionally and when it happens I speak to her through Japanese gestures which in addition to the nice sound are expressed very clearly in Japanese in the chat.
Maybe you could learn how to use gestures of the culture that interests you the most.
The world is big.
Yumix

disappointed-dog.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Tama Suki said:

I would like to ask, for the sake of all inworld humanity, not to delete the animation when writing in the local chat.

If I am not at a Noob help area, I figure anyone using the typing animation is just clueless to the fact that they can turn it off - or they are noobs.

11 hours ago, Tama Suki said:

I can't understand how you can use SL without hearing what's going on around you.

99% of the time, my sound is off. I have other people living here, and even on their computer in the same office that my computer is -- and I can't stand to wear headphones for very long.

I turn it on for musical events and sometimes for special locations where I want to hear the noises around me.

So many people forget that SL is not a "one way for everyone' kind of place.  People are here for different reasons and they have a variety of things that impact their enjoyment of SL.  

You do you and I'll do me.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 152 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.