Will a 2GB GDDRS Radeon HD 6770M (HDMI, VGA) gwork on SL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3048 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

The system requirements page is out of date.

However, the 6770M has yet to make it to the gpu_table.txt file in the application folder so you may get a message saying your card is not recognised when you try to log in. You can ignore that message and log in anyway. It's likely SL will set the graphics to Low but that card will run SL on high and ultra so you can change it once in.

By the time you get the laptop, the 6770M will probably be in the gpu_table anyway.

EDIT: It is there, either I missed it or it's just appeared in the new viewer, probably the former lol

• Like 1

14 answers to this question

The system requirements page is out of date.

However, the 6770M has yet to make it to the gpu_table.txt file in the application folder so you may get a message saying your card is not recognised when you try to log in. You can ignore that message and log in anyway. It's likely SL will set the graphics to Low but that card will run SL on high and ultra so you can change it once in.

By the time you get the laptop, the 6770M will probably be in the gpu_table anyway.

EDIT: It is there, either I missed it or it's just appeared in the new viewer, probably the former lol

• Like 1

You should be able to click ok to that message, tick a little box saying don't show me this again and continue to login.

If that's not happening, try preventing Second Life from examining your hardware at startup.

Right click your Second Life icon on the Start Menu and select Properties. The Target box will say something like this:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\SecondLifeViewer2\SecondLife.exe"  --set InstallLanguage en

You want to add --noprobe to the end leaving a gap between en and --noprobe so it now says:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\SecondLifeViewer2\SecondLife.exe"  --set InstallLanguage en --noprobe

Hopefully that will work for you. You will probably have to slide your graphics slider to the right as it will log in on Low or Medium.  I'll send a message to Torley asking him to see about getting the 6700M series into the gpu-table. LL seem to have dropped the ball on this one as that card was released a couple of months ago. 

• Like 1

After updating the driver to the 6770M I was able to finally log in, but the results are horrible.  I can't move my avatar, it's like the worse lag ever.  Yes, I did try the switchable graphics settings as well.  The only way I can function in SL, and that term I use loosely, is on the very lowest graphics settings.   I'm thinking of sending the laptop back and getting another unit with a different video card.  This is a common enough card and new enough that we should not be having issues.    Thanks for all the help here, so appreciated!

Francine, the short answer is yes, SL will work on an ATI HD6770M GPU if it is the only one.  However, be aware that there is an issue if it is in a laptop with switchable graphics.  The current version of the Catalyst Control Center for the switchable graphics does not allow a Second Life viewer to run.  I have a prior version just a few weeks old that functions just fine though.  The difference is that the earlier version,  in my dv7t for example, allows the user to designate the default GPU for the unit overall and SL runs just fine.  In the current version the graphics card is assigned on an application-by-application basis and because the Intel GPU is seen by the SL viewer before it initializes, it reports improper installation or improper drivers and then shuts down.  SL viewers have not done well with Intel video for many years now.  It's an issue that has been addressed in several online forums and many reported hours with HP technical support with no resolution to date.

I also have a brand new HP Pavilion DV6TQE 6100 with the Radeon HD 6770m GPU (that's about to be returned). For those who may be thinking of purchasing a similar model, I don't think the graphics problem is confined to SL. Please see forum here (but note that there are many others that report the same issue with Catalyst). In short, HP's new version of the Catalyst software for switching graphic cards simply does not recognize the Radeon GPU in many models that have an HD (1920x1080) display. Therefore the 6770M is never used, i.e. all applications use the Intel graphics card no matter what (hence the lag that Padula noted). It's a problem that HP needs to address, but seems reluctant or unable to do so. 

Having said that, it would help a LOT if the System Requirements page for SL was updated to include the Radeon HD 6770M. If it appeared in the list of supported graphics cards, that might help to speed a resolution to this problem for HP owners. 

Also, for future reference:

1. yes, the System Requirements page is sadly outdated and has been for a long time (which I'm going to plead with my fellow Lindens about, again), but
  2. all supported graphics cards can't specifically be listed there... it would be a wall of text.

I do want clarity so you can make an informed buying decision, so at least, we should update the SysReq to show the current supported generations, including the AMD Radeon 6xxx series. And I'll notify the right folks to check that this particular graphics card is on our "lookup table".

@Maat.

The 6700M series is included in the gpu_table.txt file that resides in the program folder and has been for ages. It doesn't matter if the web page shows it or not although it would be useful if it was updated for information purposes. Not all cards can be shown there but as Torley wrote earlier, the series should be.

Interesting that this is now proved to be a HP driver issue and not Second Life.

A new driver was released in July 2012 for the 5XXX and 6XXX series. See if that fixes the problem. I have the Radeon HD 6670 (1GB DDR3) and it works pretty well even in the intense games with multiple avis. I didn't, however, try to use it before the new driver so I can't say that it addressed your problem. I am using a desktop also with a Pent. G640 dual 2.8 and 4GB RAM.  Cougo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3048 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.