I only play second life.

Tama Suki

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 832 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Tama Suki said:

But i was speaking about virtual worlds.

well for MMOs that run on crap:

If you get into a debate about what a "virtual world" is people will move the goal posts until the only things that count (and are worth playing visiting) are Secondlife and Opensim.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Quistess Alpha said:

well for MMOs that run on crap:

If you get into a debate about what a "virtual world" is people will move the goal posts until the only things that count (and are worth playing visiting) are Secondlife and Opensim.

I just wanted to put a spotlight on the fact that the SL continues to work great even on obsolete hardwere.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Tama Suki said:

I just wanted to put a spotlight on the fact that the SL continues to work great even on obsolete hardwere.

You've made me curious. What system (specs) do you currently have?

Mine:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900KS CPU @ 4.90GHz (4925.66 MHz)
Memory: 131072 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 19043.1415)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce RTX 3090
Graphics Card Memory: 24576 MB

Edited by CaithLynnSayes
Adde my specs.

If you can run SL on low settings, you can run just about any game on lower settings.

For the upcoming 'virtual worlds' of 2022, these have me interested. Palia is a farming/community MMO. And Nightingale is set in an alternate Victorian timeline with base building and exploring, where it seems the servers are all connected.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Tama Suki said:

My computer is out of date for everything else online.
I play off line with Halo but by now I have massacred it at the maximum difficulty like even 7 times in a day.
What do you do instead?
Is there anything besides SL that catches you big?

I don't see SL as a game -- it's a virtual world, and I enjoy exploring it, hanging out with a few old friends, and my industrious alts and I help create parts of SL by assisting other content creators realize their imaginative visions by helping them make their content interactive.

I have plenty of interests outside SL, both online and offline, but they reflect my particular interests in books, music, art and politics rather than anything else.

• Like 2

I don't play games, so I don't know much about what's available out there. Like Innula, I don't "play" in SL.  I spend several hours a day in world exploring, creating things, meeting with friends, following interesting forum threads, and scripting.  When I'm not in SL, I am reading or doing crossword puzzles or writing poetry or enjoying good music. And taking long walks in the woods.

• Like 3

I actually have a gaming pc that can play most new/modern games at recommended settings or higher... but Second Life runs like an absolute potato. I've finally been able to reduce the graphics drastically enough so it functions decently, but will still freeze and/or crash if I go anywhere with more than 8-10 people present so... lmao. I honestly have no idea how it even runs on old hardware, tbh. I've watched so many videos about optimizing the settings because it would be nice to go to more populated areas and not crash. Otherwise it works pretty good.

The other game I play actively right now is Final Fantasy XIV (an MMO) but I also play a little bit of everything... Stardew Valley, The Sims, visual novels, Pokemon, ARK, Skyrim, Kingdom Hearts... used to be pretty big into Overwatch, but with the whole Blizzard/Activision controversy I haven't really touched it and don't like the new popular shooters like Apex or Valorant. Been meaning to try Cyberpunk 2077 sometime, it goes on sale a lot but I keep forgetting to grab it. Used to play GTA5 a lot on my PS4, haven't bought it for PC yet... and my PS4 is full of even more games.

I also have emulators for all the older gameboy systems, as well as the original playstation and PS2 so I can play all my classic childhood favorites, too. :)

image.png.511b93009d61d17ac255bef80c909534.png

...I play a lot of FFXIV though... 👀

Aside from games, I also like to make custom 3D models in VROID Studio, animate with MMD, make digital art, watch YouTube (I don't bother with cable since all I watch is YouTube and occasionally Netflix), browse Twitter and Tumblr, write out short stories, chat with friends on Discord... sometimes I'll stream on YT/Twitch, but I've taken a bit of a break from that the past couple months.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tama Suki said:

Thank you Coffee Pancake You are always very precious. But i was speaking about virtual worlds.

Then as you're on limited hardware .. World of Warcraft. It's big, lore rich and has enough content and other players to keep you busy for literal years. It can be somewhat impenetrable without a guide, although they did recently overhaul the leveling experience for the better.

FFXVI's current content and avatar dress up is better and has seen a lot of migration from WoW.. but I'm not sure about the hardware requirements.

:P

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, LilNosferatu said:

I actually have a gaming pc that can play most new/modern games at recommended settings or higher... but Second Life runs like an absolute potato. I've finally been able to reduce the graphics drastically enough so it functions decently, but will still freeze and/or crash if I go anywhere with more than 8-10 people present so... lmao. I honestly have no idea how it even runs on old hardware, tbh. I've watched so many videos about optimizing the settings because it would be nice to go to more populated areas and not crash. Otherwise it works pretty good.

The other game I play actively right now is Final Fantasy XIV (an MMO) but I also play a little bit of everything... Stardew Valley, The Sims, visual novels, Pokemon, ARK, Skyrim, Kingdom Hearts... used to be pretty big into Overwatch, but with the whole Blizzard/Activision controversy I haven't really touched it and don't like the new popular shooters like Apex or Valorant. Been meaning to try Cyberpunk 2077 sometime, it goes on sale a lot but I keep forgetting to grab it. Used to play GTA5 a lot on my PS4, haven't bought it for PC yet... and my PS4 is full of even more games.

I also have emulators for all the older gameboy systems, as well as the original playstation and PS2 so I can play all my classic childhood favorites, too. :)

image.png.511b93009d61d17ac255bef80c909534.png

...I play a lot of FFXIV though... 👀

Aside from games, I also like to make custom 3D models in VROID Studio, animate with MMD, make digital art, watch YouTube (I don't bother with cable since all I watch is YouTube and occasionally Netflix), browse Twitter and Tumblr, write out short stories, chat with friends on Discord... sometimes I'll stream on YT/Twitch, but I've taken a bit of a break from that the past couple months.

This. Why...WHY is Second Life so hard on my gaming rig? No Man's Sky on near ultra? Sure no problem. Warframe with all the bells and whistles? Would you like to also watch a film on another screen? But Second Life? Sometimes I can barely pull up a browser to answer how to reset my hover without the whole thing lurching to a near standstill. What is this game doing under the hood?

Edited by BranScanlon
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, BranScanlon said:

This. Why...WHY is Second Life so hard on my gaming rig? No Man's Sky on near ultra? Sure no problem. Warframe with all the bells and whistles? Would you like to also watch a film on another screen? But Second Life? Sometimes I can barely pull up a browser to answer how to reset my hover without the whole thing lurching to a near standstill. What is this game doing under the hood?

Exactlyyy like I get that the graphics are probably NOT optimized, since every little piece was made by different people, but... it's really kind of sad that a decked out gaming rig can't run a game from 2003 on default settings. That's probably my biggest gripe with SL in general, it's nearly unplayable unless I have everything set to LOW with minimum draw distance and really low avatar complexity which turns everyone into solid-color cardboard cutouts (which makes me sad because I like seeing everyone else's avatars).

And I have the same issue, if I dare to try and tab out to an internet browser. If I'm alone in my apartment, I can switch between internet and SL just fine, but if I'm in a crowd or there's other people around?? No way lmao, if I try to open up a new tab I'm gonna have a bad time. 😂😭 When I went around the Christmas Shop and Hop event, I wanted to visit everyone's marketplace stores to see all they have and add things to wishlist to find later, but it would freeze and crash every time so I just started copy/pasting everyone's MP links in an IM to my offline alt account, then visited all the links once I was back in my apartment and could switch without crashing. It's just so wild to me that it's that bad, when I can run (and even stream!) plenty of new games on high graphics with no issues.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Why is Second Life so hard on "gaming" setups?

1. User Created Content with no bar set for quality control - this actually allows everyone to create items for it and is not likely to really change much (a good thing)
  2. A good chunk of the code and underlying engine(s) were made in the early Aughts and for a wholly different project. what we call Second Life is the gutted and repurposed remains of a viewer system that was to be paired with a VR system that Linden Lab was developing which never took off
  3. Since the time of its inception, features have been added, removed or tweaked by so many different coders and teams that few remain who actually have kept track of it all - it has taken this long to detangle enough of it to make what improvements we actually have
    1. Going with the above: There are enough users here that have spent enough money so as to make starting over or completely wrecking reverse compatibility an absolute mistake going forward.

As for multi-tasking .... I'm on a Ryzen 7 2700X with 32GB RAM, an nVidia GTX 980 Ti, 512 GB SSD system drive and a 2TB general storage HDD (2TB external HDD as well but that is portable).

Funnily enough I do not have issues multi-tasking outside of Second Life while the viewer is running.

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 4

Beside second life, for pc gaming I use Steam & Origin plataforms the most games I play are

Titanfall 2 (sadly it has an ongoing ddos attack since weeks)

Cities skylines (heavy modded , city sim builder)

No More Room In hell (relistic zombie game)

Battlefield 2042 (action mil sim, buggy but fun when running smooth)

Mirror's edge catalyst (parkour single player game set in a distopian corpo future)

Half-Life series/Portal series (1, expansions , 2 and episodes & mods)

Sims 4 (rarely played)

Back 4 Blood (zombies game)

L4d2 (zombies game)

Prey (2017 version)

TES: Skyrim (original 2011)

Grid 2 (racing game)

Dirt rally (racing game)

EYE divine cybermancy (weird hl2 mod stand alone game with a mixture of other weird stuff hard to explain)

In short the majority of games I play are FPS,strategy, racing and military sims

• Like 2

Here is my short list of games I play, though some of course are not online ones per say either, so yeah...

City of Heroes (Yes, it still exists, with several servers available)
Tron 2.0
Jedi Fallen Outcast
Sims 3 & 4
Star Trek Online (for a bit)
FF14 (to check it out with the free pass)
Saints Row 4
The entire Halo series (occasionally)
Baldur's Gate 1 & 2
Blade & Soul
Destroy All Humans 1 (& 2 eventually)
Dragonball Xenoverse 2
MUGEN
   And more to boot whenever I get bored...

Peace & Ho Ho Ho...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Solar Legion said:

Why is Second Life so hard on "gaming" setups?

1. User Created Content with no bar set for quality control - this actually allows everyone to create items for it and is not likely to really change much (a good thing)

It's not specifically the user content. The stuff we routinely use is on par with stuff going into regular game engines. Our stuff can degrade badly as a side effect of creators chasing low Li rather than quality. So the stuff can look janky when really it's over optimized.

Avatars are an exception, but there isn't one specific part of an avatar, more 'death by dozens of cuts' as every rigged mesh is it's own thing that has to be animated individually every frame. We could get around this by using single fully dressed avatar meshes, but that kills the mix and match dress up SL is kinda known for.

1. A good chunk of the code and underlying engine(s) were made in the early Aughts and for a wholly different project. what we call Second Life is the gutted and repurposed remains of a viewer system that was to be paired with a VR system that Linden Lab was developing which never took off

Old code isn't bad code. Once you break a problem down into thousands of tiny problems, there are only ever a couple of solutions to choose from.

The code we have isn't bad, the architecture it's implementing as a whole has heavy legacy penalties, but those same legacy decisions are what deliver a lot of what makes SL unique.

You can take the best ingredients in the world and still make a bad cake

1. Since the time of its inception, features have been added, removed or tweaked by so many different coders and teams that few remain who actually have kept track of it all - it has taken this long to detangle enough of it to make what improvements we actually have

This is a problem with all projects as they age, people move on, get fired, reshuffled and then someone new has to try and pick up where they left off. The worst code a programmer will ever encounter is always someone else's, even if after hours of inspection it turns out to be really clever.

It makes costing new features for the platform very difficult. It might take a few weeks to code something from scratch, but to make someone's code do things it was never intended to can end up taking months and touch huge swathes of the project.

This is why Linden features tend to get off to a promising early start and then languish as the project spirals ever deeper down the rabbit hole.

I am frankly amazed there hasn't been a concerted reworking of the project, a SL 2.0 that takes SL 1.0 as a reference specification.

1. Going with the above: There are enough users here that have spent enough money so as to make starting over or completely wrecking reverse compatibility an absolute mistake going forward.

LL have been terrified of breaking anything and will go to great lengths sometimes to keep obscure content functional.

I would rather they have a cut off. If the thing that's going to break is over 5 years old, break it and put something better in it's place. The community will come up with updates and replacements, and refreshing old content is a great way to keep it current. SL is a living world, not a museum to content made back before people had prim hair.

It's a chore for creators, but tends to work out boosting their bottom line in the end. Grumble grumble fine fix it make more money grumble grumble.

Funnily enough I do not have issues multi-tasking outside of Second Life while the viewer is running.

because, unlike games (which assumes it has 100% of the users focus), SL throttles back deliberately.

See the debug setting BackgroundYieldTime - Amount of time to yield every frame to other applications when SL is not the foreground window (milliseconds)

On modern hardware with cores out the wazzoo (which SL doesn't use), you can probably set this to 0 and not notice.

Edited by Coffee Pancake
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A couple of sandbox type space exploration/colonization/survival/combat games.

Sims 2, 3 & 4

Star Trek Online (lifetime account)

Digital Jigsaw puzzles

Building games

Star Stable (lifetime account)

Stop laughing. It actually takes a good bit of keyboarding skill/coordination to play that last one. 🧠

None of which I ever had problems running on any of my old systems. The newest of the old ones is about 5 years old and has a GTX 1050 OC.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
too much space
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Innula Zenovka said:

I don't see SL as a game -- it's a virtual world, and I enjoy exploring it, hanging out with a few old friends, and my industrious alts and I help create parts of SL by assisting other content creators realize their imaginative visions by helping them make their content interactive.

I have plenty of interests outside SL, both online and offline, but they reflect my particular interests in books, music, art and politics rather than anything else.

As usual, I expressed myself badly.
Then it happens that I think I am misunderstood (and I often don't quite understand some answers) and I get stuck on my point of view which I think has not been understood.
Yes, of course I also think that SL is not just a game.
Second Life is a metaverse with all its potential.
I just wanted to ask what other metaverse people are using, but I put my post down in a rather clumsy way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, CaithLynnSayes said:

You've made me curious. What system (specs) do you currently have?

Mine:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900KS CPU @ 4.90GHz (4925.66 MHz)
Memory: 131072 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 19043.1415)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce RTX 3090
Graphics Card Memory: 24576 MB

A MacBook Pro that is so old that it is almost at the end of its days.
At the next general system update, he will no longer be able to afford to be online because he will not be able to support the latest generation operating system.
Apple works this way, so when I can afford it I'll go for anything but Apple. In any case, I think that even the leanest PC you can buy now is still far superior to my beloved rusty old water heater.

GTA Online, FFXIV, ESO, WOW, Cities:Skylines,  all on macOS (except for GTA Online via Bootcamp, GTA is the only reason I have Windows installed on my Mac lol.)

Not all at the same time. I go through phases where I play only one of those non-stop for 3-6 months on end then drop it and move onto the next… rinse and repeat. 

Edited by davidventer
  • Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 832 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.